2007-08 predictions

Postby scottish » Sat May 24, 2008 8:06 am

Among a string of disastrous predictions with the only correct ones the bleeding obvious (Gretna, Stirling Albion) my pick of Dunfermline for promotion to the SPL stands out, not just for the selection but for the accompanying phrase "Absolutely no doubt for me"
scottish
Site Admin

Postby scottish » Sat May 24, 2008 8:40 pm

For the second year running Ramalhete puts the home contenders to shame. he notched up 16/24, bettering last season's winning tally of 12/25. Other scores (all out of 24 except for Leatherstocking who made just sixteen predictions):

Alan McCabe 10
Burnie_Man 10
Bobby S 9
Lisbon 67 9
Gersman 8
Scottish 7
lbb 6
leatherstocking 3

So a stunning doubling of his tally compared to last season for Alan, modest improvements for Bobby, Gersman & Lisbon 67, sheer below mid-table consistency from me, relegation stuff from leatherstocking and also a 50% improvement from lbb who has now moved into the play-off spot.

But once again the cyber-beer is whisking its way to Portugal at this very moment. Congratulations to Ramalhete. I wonder if they get fixed odds coupons in Portugal?
scottish
Site Admin

Postby upthewell » Sat May 24, 2008 10:31 pm

So aside the usual 25 for next season should we also have:

1) First manager to get the sack.
2) First team to enter administration.
3) A wildcard daft prediction - or is that just too hard to mark at the end of the season...?
upthewell

Postby Skyline Drifter » Sun May 25, 2008 7:01 pm

I've been waiting for months for this thread to be re-opened so I could point and laugh at those many predictions for QoS to fill the relegation playoff spot in the first division. I don't think I need name you all, you know who you are and it's there to see. :P

4th spot, pretty comfortably, a Scottish Cup Final and a place in the UEFA Cup says otherwise. :wink:
Skyline Drifter

Postby Ramalhete » Tue May 27, 2008 6:45 pm

Another topic to add for next season: 3rd placed in the SPL that usually is the top team outside the Old Firm
Ramalhete

Postby Burnie_man » Tue May 27, 2008 10:59 pm

Not a bad debut season for me :D
Burnie_man

Postby lbb » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:06 am

An 'interesting', though not always entertaining, season.

The relative European successes of Celtic, Rangers and Aberdeen - though Rangers, in particular. I didn't think Aberdeen would win a tie let alone face Bayern Munich in February. A lot of defensive stuff, 'closing space', fewer flair players than previously but still at least no humiliations of not-so-long-ago.

No-one could have predicted, except those who predicted it, Dunfermline's complete failure to even challenge for promotion. I thought Stephen Kenny had some good ideas in the SPL and perhaps, like Paul Le Guen at Rangers, he was the right man at the wrong time for the Pars.

The Gretna fiasco made the relegation issue a non-event fairly on in the campaign. I had demented hopes that Gretna might do something and thought Caley would struggle. Their early form suggested I might have been onto something but Caley's change in manager and Gretna's obvious incompetence saved their skin. Along with a few others, though, I wonder if they'll be nervously looking over their shoulder at Billy Reid's Hamilton.

I think Rangers would have won the league if the Old Firm games had been played to order. Playing the Celtic Park fixtures back-to-back in April allowed Celtic to build up a head of steam in the run-in, just as Rangers were running out of steam. From Jan Vennegoor of Hesselinnk's 102nd minute winner against Rangers, I always felt the momentum was with them and that the title would be theirs.

Overall, I think the standard had slipped slightly but was more competitive. The Old Firm only played attractive football in patches and not consistently throughout the season. Hibs were always good to watch in the last few years but having lost so many players they're bound to struggle - they also appear to be heading off in a different direction/style under Paatelainen. Hearts are a shambles. Aberdeen remain inconsistent. Motherwell played some good football up until Phil O'Donnell's death but never really reached their first half form in the second half of the season. The pitch wouldn't have helped either.

So, more entertaining football for next season - from everyone. And no 4-in-a-row, sweet Jesus.
lbb

Previous

Return to 2007-08 predictions