Undiscovered Film Footage of Scotland 1900 Team -Filmed 1928

The place to discuss Scottish football
topmab

Undiscovered Film Footage of Scotland 1900 Team -Filmed 1928

Post by topmab » Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:36 pm

In 1900 Scotland defeated England at Hampden 4-1 in a match which set a world record attendance for an international.

The following link takes you to a silent movie of a 1928 reunion of the Scotland players. This includes former Hearts goalkeeper Harry Rennie along with what must be the last film footage ever taken of Hearts legend Bobby Walker Back (row extreme right). R S McColl also features!

You need to add this to your basket but there is no charge.

https://www.britishpathe.com/product_di ... d=r+mccoll

LEATHERSTOCKING

Post by LEATHERSTOCKING » Sat Dec 15, 2007 7:18 pm

Marvellous! "Toffe Bob" McColl with one of his shop`s fags too. Now, most of the men couldn`t have been 60 if that & they look ancient.

topmab

Post by topmab » Sat Dec 15, 2007 7:25 pm

I came across this whilst trying to trace info on Bobby Walker who passed away only a couple of years later.

Poor Bobby Walker would not even have reached 50 years at the time this footage was taken and he looked 60. Just goes to show how hard life must have been then but I also think that a few of them liked a wee dram or two which wouldn't have helped.

I found the clip a bit eerie to be honest.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:59 pm

McColl actually appears to have worn well - apart from the lack of hair. But in general players then look older than their years to modern eyes. Working conditions, poor housing and diet must have contributed to it but even looking at players from the 1950s and 1960s when living standards were way above those of pre-war there are guys there in their twenties who would pass for forty-something today.

Our perceptions have altered too. I recall reading the Kilmarnock Standard in 1953 commenting on the signing of Frank Beattie. The paper went into raptures about how 'big' he was at 5' 11 and 11.5 st!

Mind you the central belt in general and the west of Scotland in particular must be the last remaining place on Earth where a shout of "haw, big man" can produce responses from guys five foot four in their stockinged feet.

the hibLOG

Post by the hibLOG » Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:16 pm

scottish wrote:Mind you the central belt in general and the west of Scotland in particular must be the last remaining place on Earth where a shout of "haw, big man" can produce responses from guys five foot four in their stockinged feet.
That's because thanks to the Scottish diet they're usually five foot four wide as well.
Fraser