Musselburgh Athletic Willie Bauld and Willie Woodburn

The place to discuss Scottish football
FlowGently

Musselburgh Athletic Willie Bauld and Willie Woodburn

Post by FlowGently » Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:51 pm

I'm compiling the Glenafton programme for the visit of Musselburgh Athletic in the Scottish Junior Cup this Saturday. "Google" searches have let me confused if Willie Bauld or Willie Woodburn ever played for Musselburgh Athletic? Anyone know the details and who were Musseburgh Union? thanks in advance

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:15 pm

They both played for Musselburgh Athletic according to Douglas Lamming's 'Who's Who' of internationalists. The Junior centenary history also gives Duncan Forbes (Colchester, Norwich, Torquay) & Ron Wilson (Stoke City, Port Vale) as ex-Musselburgh Athletic players who stepped up to senior level.

Burnie_man

Post by Burnie_man » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:57 pm

Willie Bauld never played for Musselburgh Athletic.

He played for Musselburgh Union (probably where the confusion lies), a juvenile club from where he signed for Hearts and was then farmed out to Newtongrange Star and Edinburgh City.

Burnie_man

Post by Burnie_man » Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:09 am

As an additional piece of info, the immediate forerunners to Musselburgh Athletic were Musselburgh Bruntonians who also played at the current Olive Bank and who won the Junior Cup in 1922-23 against Arniston Rangers at Tynecastle in the first ever "all East" final.

They were formed in 1919 and were a fairly succesful club, also
winning the East of Scotland Cup twice and a number of local cups before they decided to close down at the end of the 1933-34 season (after finishing in 5th place in the league). Musselburgh Athletic were immediately formed to take their place in the following seasons Midlothian League.

Two future Scottish Internationalists played with Bruntonians:
Colin McNab (Musselburgh Bruntonians, Dundee, Arbroath, Scotland) 1931-32: 6 caps
Robert Baxter (Tranent, Musselburgh Bruntonians, Middlesbrough, Scotland) 1939: 3 caps

....and yes, Willie Woodburn started his career with Mussleburgh Athletic. Hope this helps.

Rob

Post by Rob » Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:31 am

Im sure Musselburgh Athletic and Musselburgh Bruntonians are the same club. I sure they also went by the name Musselburgh Fern. Im not sure what name came first.

Burnie_man

Post by Burnie_man » Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:03 pm

No, Athletic and Bruntonians are definately two seperate clubs. Bruntonians shut down was planned, not exactly sure why, but a month or two before the end of the 33-34 season it was reported that at the end of the season Bruntonians would close. Musselburgh Athletic was formed and stepped into the breach. I would suspect a lot of the personnel were the same, but it's not a case of a simple name change.

As for the other clubs.

Musseburgh Fern existed from about 1896 until around 1906, followed by Musselburgh Juniors for one season, then another club called Musselburgh Athletic rose in 1908 and it was they that opened the current Olive Bank (in 1910). In 1910-11 a second club called Musselburgh United were formed but lasted only a season. Athletic stopped playing in 1915 like many other clubs and didn't re-appear after the war. Bruntonians were formed in 1919 (along with another club called Musselburgh Comrades of the Great War who lasted a couple fo seasons). Bruntonians played until 1934.

Burnie_man

Post by Burnie_man » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:16 pm

....and they all confirm he never played for Musselburgh Athletic!

I think what may have happened is that he technically he did sign for Musselburgh Athletic from Musselburgh Union and then immediately went senior.

The reason being that if he had failed at senior level, he could not return to Junior level as he would have gone straight from Juvenile to Senior without playing Junior, a rule that no longer exists.

I believe that also expalins why John Greig never kicked a ball for Whitburn Juniors and never went anywhere near their Central Park ground despite being quoted as being a Whitburn player, he needed to sign for a Junior club as insurance in case he didn't make it in the seniors for he could return and play Junior. I believe Whitburn still received a fee from Rangers though!

Burnie_man

Post by Burnie_man » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:17 pm

Burnie_man wrote:

I think what may have happened is that he technically did sign for Musselburgh Athletic from Musselburgh Union and then immediately went senior.

The reason being that if he had failed at senior level, he could not return to Junior level as he would have gone straight from Juvenile to Senior without playing Junior, a rule that no longer exists.

I believe that also expalins why John Greig never kicked a ball for Whitburn Juniors and never went anywhere near their Central Park ground despite being quoted as being a Whitburn player, he needed to sign for a Junior club as insurance in case he didn't make it in the seniors for he could return and play Junior. I believe Whitburn still received a fee from Rangers though!

Burnie_man

Post by Burnie_man » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:17 pm

I think what may have happened is that he technically did sign for Musselburgh Athletic from Musselburgh Union and then immediately went senior.

I believe that also explains why John Greig never kicked a ball for Whitburn Juniors and never went anywhere near their Central Park ground despite being quoted as being a Whitburn player, he needed to sign for a Junior club as insurance in case he didn't make it in the seniors for he could return and play Junior. I believe Whitburn still received a fee from Rangers though!

FlowGently

Post by FlowGently » Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:03 pm

Thanks to everyone for their help - excellent links to the Willie Bauld story.

Out of interest I notice in 'The Juniors 100 Years' that Musselburgh Bruntonians were named after John D Brunton head of the Musselburgh Wire Mills. In the Junior Cup final between Bruntonians and Arniston Rangers at Tynecastle, Hearts waived their rights to 7 1/2% of the gate money (20,000) and settled for the stand takings. There were 412 entrants that season which is still a record for the Junior Cup.

thanks again