A New Record

The place to discuss Scottish football
Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:33 pm

From three weeks ago
Alan McCabe wrote: And by the way, don't rule out the possibility of that footballing stronghold of Liechtenstein joining this growing list of humiliators!
Can you give us next Saturday's lottery numbers, Alan?

Alan McCabe

Post by Alan McCabe » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:34 pm

I just sat and watched through that pathetic effort thanks to a live internet stream on the club's own Falkirk TV. I was actually glad when the connection continuously failed!
Undoubtedly a new low for the game in this country. Don't get me wrong, Vaduz ain't that bad a side but it has to be remembered they are LEICHTENSTEIN'S representatives even if they do flirt with the Swiss top league every now and again. Fewer than 500 home fans witnessed the game tonight, Falkirk taking double that!
Pitched next to such luminaries as Hafnarfjordur, Derry City and Nordsjaelland, Vaduz and Liechtenstein can now proudly be etched on the list of foreign successors. Outwith the newer members of UEFA, it only leaves IIRC Malta, Luxembourg and Cyprus as those not on the bedpost of humiliation.
At least the reigning prediction champion is 1 point to the good already though!!!

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:02 pm

Alan McCabe wrote: even if they do flirt with the Swiss top league every now and again
Just had a look at last season's results - five wins, seven draws, 24 defeats, 28 scored, 85 conceded, bottom by 13 points. They've flirted with the Swiss top flight the way Gretna did with ours.

Looking at those past humiliations I see that Derry eliminated Skonto Riga tonight. Aberdeen can breathe easy this season.

upthewell

Post by upthewell » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:28 pm

Rudi Vata - can you hear me? Your boys took a hell of a beating.

A hell of a beating :lol: :lol: :lol:

lbb

Post by lbb » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:29 am

Well done to Motherwell for a fabulous result. Beating any side 8-1 is a fantastic achievement and they deserve enormous credit for the way they've improved since the horrors of the Llanelli first leg. Jim Gannon has talked the talk but it looks like he might able to back it up with results on the field.

What can you say about Falkirk? An absolute joke. The bare result is bad enough but reading the match stats earlier in this thread is horrendous. I was going to put Falkirk to lose to Vaduz in my predictions but assumed even they would negotiate that match. I should have known better. Mogadon Smith was in the papers pre-match talking about Vaduz as if they were Bayern Munich. It's clear that what is laughingly referred to as the Falkirk management were putting the fear of Vaduz into the players beforehand. And it worked. Great job.

upthewell

Post by upthewell » Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:15 pm

After some more reflection - they were a poor side!

We'll have a tough job getting through against Steaua Bucharest.

The Mighty Atom

Post by The Mighty Atom » Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:51 pm

upthewell wrote:After some more reflection - they were a poor side!
You needed to reflect on that !?! :oops: Did you intially consider they'd compared well with the other teams you're going to put 8 past this season???

Great result though. Hitting 8 goals is very special, regardless of opposition and especially in Europe.

upthewell

Post by upthewell » Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:46 pm

The Mighty Atom wrote:
upthewell wrote:After some more reflection - they were a poor side!
You needed to reflect on that !?! :oops: Did you intially consider they'd compared well with the other teams you're going to put 8 past this season???

Great result though. Hitting 8 goals is very special, regardless of opposition and especially in Europe.
Hell - Most of the other Well fans I know are still stuck to the ceiling. Reflection....? Yup - it happened.

Watching the first leg on t'internet was difficult for me. The heat, the long coach trip to the ground, losing a lot of experienced players etc did make for a close game in terms of scoreline but I did think we were a better side and we'd win through.

And then in the days before it I started thinking we'll never get through now...

On proper reflection, some of our shots were lucky to squeeze through. We might have conceded one or two more. Parts of the team looked very shaky at times.

So playing Steaua Bucharest is gonna be a tough tough game. I don't think we'll make it. Anyone on here got any in depth knowledge of their team in the last 12-18 months?

Hmm - who else will we put 8 past this season?

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:37 pm

upthewell wrote: So playing Steaua Bucharest is gonna be a tough tough game. I don't think we'll make it. Anyone on here got any in depth knowledge of their team in the last 12-18 months?
Not in-depth but a good piece on the UEFA Site about them having their worst domestic season for 27 years.

Of course they are the seeded side and will be strong favourites. They were the highest-ranked club of the 80 in the second qualifying round and even in this round only Roma, Hamburg & PSV Eindhoven are rated higher.

I love the name of their Colombian international goalkeeper - Robinson Zapata - which conjures up images of a guy fired up on his country's most famous export roaming around a desert island while his drooping moustache slowly extends to cover the rest of his body.

Unfortunately Sr. Zapata is no longer first choice keeper at Steaua.

LEATHERSTOCKING

Post by LEATHERSTOCKING » Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:23 pm

Apparently when Southampton toured Austria in 1900 their goalkeeper, John Robinson, astounded the locals by diving to stop the ball something they`d never seen before and this kind of thing is still called a "ROBINSONADE". Now, isn`t that quite interesting. I know you need to know these things.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:46 pm

LEATHERSTOCKING wrote:Apparently when Southampton toured Austria in 1900 their goalkeeper, John Robinson, astounded the locals by diving to stop the ball something they`d never seen before and this kind of thing is still called a "ROBINSONADE". Now, isn`t that quite interesting. I know you need to know these things.
Like the story of the journalist Susannah Price who covered Afghanistan in the early 1990s. Apparently for years afterwards Afghan tribesmen described any journalist as a 'Suzy Price.'

upthewell

Post by upthewell » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:27 pm

John Meffen wrote:Oh, by the way, when I said motherwell were not very good at football, I stand by it...
Thanks. The rationale that you listed for that is logical - so I can see where you're coming from.

Not. :roll:

Sat31March1928

Post by Sat31March1928 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:29 am

Only 1 Scottish Team has won a tie after losing Home leg

http://www.londonhearts.com/europe/index.htm#tiesres

36 have failed.
Jackson; James; Jackson; James; Jackson

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:50 am

Sat31March1928 wrote:Only 1 Scottish Team has won a tie after losing Home leg

http://www.londonhearts.com/europe/index.htm#tiesres

36 have failed.
Who were the winners? I'm struggling to find one.

lbb

Post by lbb » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:34 am

Do Celtic go into the Europa Cup qualifiers if they lose to Moscow Dinamo?

I assumed they didn't but it has been suggested to me that they would.