Welcome to Scotland

The place to discuss Scottish football
Scottish
Site Admin

Welcome to Scotland

Post by Scottish » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:12 pm

Picture the scene: just outside Ayr railway station at around 11.30 am on a beautiful, bright Thursday morning. Amidst the usual background noise of train announcements and road traffic one sound is heard, far far louder than any other. A car meanders its way past the station car park, windows open, and, at full volume, all and sundry passers by are treated to a full-throated choral rendition of "No Pope of Rome."

Snuff

welcome to Scotland

Post by Snuff » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:12 am

That's the trouble with you guys from Kilmarnock - you object to folk from Cumnock and Kilwinning enjoying themselves.
Snuff

lbb

Post by lbb » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:23 am

What was Richard Dawkins doing in Ayr?

Scottish
Site Admin

Re: welcome to Scotland

Post by Scottish » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:12 am

Snuff wrote:That's the trouble with you guys from Kilmarnock - you object to folk from Cumnock and Kilwinning enjoying themselves.
I don't think this guy was from either of those places. He still had some teeth.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:14 am

lbb wrote:What was Richard Dawkins doing in Ayr?
Trying to work out why two tribes professed hate for each other yet worship for the same non-existent god.

ScottishFA

Re: welcome to Scotland

Post by ScottishFA » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:47 am

scottish wrote:I don't think this guy was from either of those places. He still had some teeth.
Reminds me of the story about the television company that wanted to set up a Scottish version of CSI New York. They were going to film CSI Kilwinning, but had to abandon it as there were no dental records to identify the bodies, and all the victims had the same DNA.

msdkfc

Post by msdkfc » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:54 pm

I know how you feel David. I went to Ibrox last Saturday on public transport - bus to Glasgow then underground. After the game i hung around outside for a good bit listening to the radio then walked slowly to Cessnock, thinking this is a good idea, the crowds will mostly be away. No chance. Arrived on the platform at 5.50 (a full hour after the final whistle) and it was still packed full of Rangers fans giving some song about Tommy Burns dying of cancer a run through. Then we get 'no surrender to the IRA'.

After 22 years of following Scottish football, a large part of me thinks it shouldn't bother me any more, but it does, and always will. Do these people have no shame or decency?

lbb

Post by lbb » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:45 pm

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:53 pm

msdkfc wrote:I know how you feel David.
Almost as bad but in a different way was yesterday. I was in the sole watering hole left in the place we both hail from. There was a recent -ish Scotland pic on the wall (McLeish as manager) and pics of both the Celtic 1967 and Rangers 1972 European-winning sides.

Fair enough you might think. The national team and both OF is a laudable attempt to be non-sectarian. But two thoughts struck me. At a distance of under five miles from Rugby Park why no pic of the 1964-65 team to go alongside the OF from around the same time? Or, if the argument was they were only showing teams successful in Europe, why no pic of Aberdeen in 1983. Or, come to think of it, Scotland circa 1974, not 2007?

msdkfc

Post by msdkfc » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:47 pm

Almost straying into IM territory here, but this detail regarding the said waterholing hole doesn't surprise me. Not been in it since September last year watching Scotland v Macedonia and it's not a place i'd want to go too often. I've never felt totally safe - you sense eyes moving and heads turning when you walk in as you're not a regular, this despite me living just the other end of the same village!

How you feel is the same way i feel for example when driving through Ayr each day to work seeing the town absolutely moving with Rangers shirts, the same as it was some years ago when i lived there. Fair enough it's a Rangers stronghold and i'm a Killie fan, but it doesn't half get on my collective wick.