Motherwell Fans

The place to discuss Scottish football
Scottish
Site Admin

Motherwell Fans

Post by Scottish » Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:25 am

A big thanks to all the Motherwell supporters at Rugby Park. Prior to the match there was a ceremony renaming the West (main) Stand in honour of the late Frank Beattie, captain of Killie's title-winning team of 1965.

Members of Big Frank's family and former team-mates took part in what was an emotional occasion and the Motherwell supporters gave maximum respect throughout by maintaining a dignified silence, which allowed the ceremony to proceed uninterrupted and as intended as a tribute to a great club servant.

msdkfc

Post by msdkfc » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:13 am

Indeed. I thought the whole ceremony was well handled and dignified, and an excellent tribute to Frank Beattie. However, i thought i was imagining it when the chairman said he died in 1979 but i'm assured he did indeed say that!

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:27 am

msdkfc wrote: However, i thought i was imagining it when the chairman said he died in 1979 !
If you were then you were sharing your delusion with over 5,000 others. He did say 1979. However, few people speak off the cuff at this kind of event and I'd put it down to an unfortunate muffing of lines.

Snuff

Motherwell supporters

Post by Snuff » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:35 am

David,

Or - as many of feel, saying "1979" was further proof of that old Rugby Park adage: "How do you know the Chairman is lying?"

His lips are moving.
Snuff