Spot The Difference

The place to discuss Scottish football
Scottish
Site Admin

Spot The Difference

Post by Scottish » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:17 am

December 28th 2009 Kilmarnock v Celtic postponed on police advice

"Clearly, we are extremely disappointed the match has been postponed.

"We have been told the pitch is perfectly playable but we have also been informed that the game cannot proceed due to the stadium footprint (the area surrounding the stadium) not being cleared. Naturally this is very frustrating for the club and its supporters .

"As is always the case, it is the responsibility of home clubs to ensure that their own footprint or locality is safe and obviously in this case this has not been achieved."

Peter Lawwell

December 9th 2010 Celtic v Kilmarnock postponed on police advice

"Clearly everyone at the Club is extremely disappointed that the match has been postponed. However, the safety and well-being of our supporters is of paramount importance.

"Staging a match at Celtic Park is a major event with around 50,000 supporters potentially making their way to the stadium.

"It is vitally important that we understand the expertise and experience of the police regarding this issue and we fully respect the decision of Strathclyde Police.

"While we would all have liked the game to go ahead, we fully understand the view of Strathclyde Police in not wishing to put supporters at risk."

Unnamed Celtic spokesperson

nightfire

Re: Spot The Difference

Post by nightfire » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:23 pm

When did the Gallowgate, London Road, Dalmarnock Road & Springfield Road as well as smaller surrounding streets become the responsibility of Celtic FC. Plenty of people who have been to Celtic Park have confirmed that Celtic FC have in fact cleared the footprint for which they are responsible as well as nearby approaches to the ground.

Mind you, I'm surprised James Traynor didn't blame Lawwell for the bad weather :twisted:

lbb

Post by lbb » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:42 pm

I drove past Celtic Park an hour ago and I think Celtic have acted in haste. The thaw over much of today has considerably helped and the main roads around the ground are very passable - on foot and in the car. Celtic have clearly worked on London Road at the Main Stand entrance (there are mounds of snow dotted across the area) but it doesn't look like they've touched the Gallowgate. In any case, as I say ,the thaw has done the bulk of the job.

But, yes, Lawwell was incandescent with Kilmarnock last year so I will allow myself a small titter.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:02 am

nightfire wrote:When did the Gallowgate, London Road, Dalmarnock Road & Springfield Road as well as smaller surrounding streets become the responsibility of Celtic FC.
Probably around the same time Kilmarnock took over responsibility for the M77.

killiegradge

Post by killiegradge » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:37 pm

Lawwell has made himself and his club look foolish once again!However it is not entirely clear whos decision it was to postpone the game on Thursday?It would appear that the Police stated the game would not have been allowed to proceed on Thursday but were prepared to wait before making a decision for Saturdays match. Celtic it would appear then decided to call the game off.Why?

msdkfc

Post by msdkfc » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:07 pm

As a Killie fan who had decided to go to this game (but thankfully had not yet bought a ticket when it was called off, as in all likelihood i won't be able to make a rearranged game in midweek), i can't begin to describe how angry and disgusted i was. Regardless of who actually made the decision, is this what we've become in this country? A police run, namby pamby, health and safety obsessed place, where i am not allowed to make up my own mind wether i think it is safe enough to go to a football match? This recent trend of putting games off when the pitch is perfectly playable would not have happend 10 or 15 years ago, or even 5 years ago.

Why was the decision taken so early?? The thaw started on Thursday, the snow was totally away when i woke up on Friday morning, yet i couldn't go and watch my team on Saturday because 'the stadium footprint was unsafe'? An utter joke. I (along with several little old ladies pushing their trolleys) nearly slipped over twice in Morrison's car park in Kilmarnock during the week which was covered by a sheet of ice. Yet it remained open, and i was allowed to make up my own mind wether i went there and took the risk!

I would understand if a major road say a motorway was closed or had sever restrictions, but the surrounding streets around a ground being 'unsafe' should not cause a game to be off. How come the Peterhead team bus was allowed to travel that long way down to Alloa through far worse conditions than we had this weekend, but i'm not allowed to travel half an hour up the road and walk along slippy streets from my car/bus to the away turnstles at Parkhead?!

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:44 pm

msdkfc wrote: i am not allowed to make up my own mind wether i think it is safe

msdkfc wrote: and i was allowed to make up my own mind wether i went there and took the risk!
Sorry but I can't resist this. Those really were two atrocious spells of weather.

Regarding safety: the most dangerous aspect of visiting Celtic Park (as with Ibrox) is having to run the gauntlet of disgruntled fans on the way back to supporters buses after the home team has failed to win.

sureitsza

Post by sureitsza » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:32 pm

Regarding safety: the most dangerous aspect of visiting Celtic Park (as with Ibrox) is having to run the gauntlet of disgruntled fans on the way back to supporters buses after the home team has failed to win.
With Kilmarnock's record at Celtic Park, I am sure you would have no problem getting back to your car/bus without worrying about the home fans moaning, more likely the groans would come from your fellow supporters about another inept Killie result at Celtic Park! :mrgreen:

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:48 pm

You'll notice I put 'failed to win' rather than 'lost.' I can think of three particular 0-0 draws which presented Killie fans with some difficulty in returning to the buses. In October 1993 in what turned out to be Liam Brady's last home game in charge. The opening game of the 2007-08 season when despondent 'Tic fans en masse were convinced that drawing the opener had cost them any chance of winning the title (they were wrong). And most of all in 1997 with Kilmarnock - en route to the Scottish Cup Final - celebrating a precious point that helped stave off a relegation play-off while Celtic had just lost in the Scottish Cup to Falkirk, sacked Tommy Burns and found out fifteen minutes from the final whistle that the phrase 'nine in a row' was no longer their exclusive copyright.

But you're right. I have no idea what winning at Celtic Park is like. I was gestating away nicely in my mother's womb last time that happened.

Surprising not to have at least one win in the past fifty-odd years, considering how anti-Celtic all the referees are.

msdkfc

Post by msdkfc » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:18 pm

It is astonishing right when you consider that none of the great teams of 60s ever managed to win at Parkhead, especially since Killie beat Celtic 6-0, 4-0 and 5-2 in 3 consecutive seasons at Rugby Park in the early-mid 60s.

In my time, the closet we've came is when we drew 1-1 in April 1996 - leading 1-0 only for Pierre Van Hooijdonk to equalise in stoppage time at the end - and when we lost 4-2 in December 1995, after having been 2-0 up after 40 minutes, only to be pegged back to 2-2 before half time.

Indeed in the 0-0 game just before the 97 cup final which David referred to, i seem to recall a situation in the last 5 minutes where Killie were attacking with a 2 against 1 advantage, but one of the Killie players (Alex Burke perhaps) tried to pass inside to the other but underhit it, the ball was cut out, and a chance of history was gone.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:13 am

sureitsza wrote: With Kilmarnock's record at Celtic Park, I am sure you would have no problem getting back to your car/bus without worrying about the home fans moaning, more likely the groans would come from your fellow supporters about another inept Killie result at Celtic Park! :mrgreen:
You were saying................

sureitsza

Post by sureitsza » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:12 am

Nice to see you got home safely then.
Honestly, there was no need for you to come all this way in the freezing weather to prove me wrong.