BBC Sportsound, Liam McLeod's hearing and sundry other rants

The place to discuss Scottish football
Scottish
Site Admin

BBC Sportsound, Liam McLeod's hearing and sundry other rants

Post by Scottish » Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:37 pm

Tuned into BBC Radio Scotland yesterday about fifteen minutes before kick-off to take in their live commentary of the Ayr-Killie game. Officially they were covering the match live but all I heard from the radio were the words 'Rangers,' 'Ally McCoist,' 'Jelavic,' 'Craig Whyte etc, etc, ad nauseum. Nothing about the upcoming match at all. After about five minutes of this they changed the subject - to Hibs, Rangers' opponents yesterday. Now, even accounting for the routine OF media bias and even accepting that it can be justified at times on account of the fact that the majority of their listeners are OF fans, who did they think was listening in just before 1pm UK time yesterday? Celtic weren't playing (though they might have had more than a passing interest in Saturday's semi-final) and Rangers didn't kick off until 3pm. Did they really think that if they advertised live coverage of Ayr v Killie that thousands of Gers fans would be desperately tuning in? When they had their own game to go to? And when Liverpool v Man Utd was live on TV for armchair fans?

It was an utter disgrace. With just seven minutes to go to kick-off and no mention of the match in hand, I turned instead to a live internet feed from Al-Jazeera Sports. Okay, the screen resolution wasn't great at times, there were one or two buffering issues and an annoying advert for a Pirates of the Carribean game complete with cannon fire interrupted the commentary every few minutes. But since the commentary was in Arabic that was no great loss.

Tonight I watched the couple of minutes of what the BBC laughingly termed 'highights' and must applaud the corporation's Scottish arm for their equal opportunities attitude to broadcasting by giving a job to Liam McLeod. The commentator was praising the Ayr support for making their voices heard. Now the words 'Ayr' and 'Ayr United' were indeed distinctly audible to this viewer. As were the words 'f*** your' in between them. Only someone lacking in auditory capacity could have failed to hear this and only someone with visual impairment would not have detected the swathes of blue worn by those doing the singing.

Now to another type of 'Ayr'. Ryan effing Air. For years they have flown from Girona to Prestwick (and had the cheek to call Girona Airport Barcelona Girona though it is over 70 miles away) but they announced recently they were changing their Prestwick flights to the main Barcelona airport at El Prat (could be a good nickname for Mourinho, that). Great news, thought I. But when I went to book flights last night for the League Cup Final I found that the new service starts exactly one week AFTER the match. Worse, the Girona service has already been terminated. The only flights into any Scottish airport in the days preceding the LC final are scheduled to arrive in the wilderness of Turnhouse at 11.30 pm. So to get to Ayrshire I have to fly to Newcastle then change trains at Edinburgh and Glasgow but fly back via Edinburgh. Those so-called 'cheap' flights start adding up to a hefty sum when all this is factored in.

Finally, Brian 'Darth' Reid's anti-football, following the trail blazed by Walter Smith and Craig Levein. Praise be that the forces of light and harmony triumphed over the dark side. Praise be too that Reid was too feart to have a go and not bright enough to realise that a team that loses six at home to Inverness and three to Dunfermline might just be a tad vulnerable in defence.

Rant over.

For now.

macjackb

Re: BBC Sportsound, Liam McLeod's hearing and sundry other r

Post by macjackb » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:50 pm

The media is an outrage, and indeed never lets itself down with a more resounding thump than on occasions like yesterday. Perhaps one of the most significant effects is a pervasive, pernicious self-fulfilling prophecy; people supporting either semi-finalist, or indeed any side other than OF, are given the impression that to expect anything resembling proper coverage on the flimsy grounds of having made it this far are frankly a wee but ridiculous, like they just haven't got it, bless 'em. Join the real party with the big boys, or stay weird.

Maybe it's actually a mixed blessing. There's so little real feeling for the game where it counts among the media (stand up Liam McLeod!) that any extended preview would have comprised such enlightened contributions as which local baker had concocted the most colourful cake. As an exile I tried the Radio Scotland podcasts for a while to keep up on the go, but found them unlistenable. I listen to The Terrace, where the guys give off a genuine affection for the game, difficult though that sometimes might be! Are there any others worth giving a go?

HibeeJibee

Post by HibeeJibee » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:03 pm

scottish wrote:Tuned into BBC Radio Scotland yesterday about fifteen minutes before kick-off to take in their live commentary of the Ayr-Killie game. Officially they were covering the match live but all I heard from the radio were the words 'Rangers,' 'Ally McCoist,' 'Jelavic,' 'Craig Whyte etc, etc, ad nauseum. Nothing about the upcoming match at all. After about five minutes of this they changed the subject - to Hibs, Rangers' opponents yesterday.
I noted the same thing while listening driving down to Galashiels yesterday. You'd have thought the game they were intending to cover had been called-off, but it had been decided they'd cut to commentary from a lower-league game to help fill the afternoon's programming.

You'd never have known it was minutes to KO in a national Semi-Final, nevermind one featuring an SPL-v-SFL derby at Hampden.

lbb

Post by lbb » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:33 pm

I haven't listened to radio coverage of Scottish football for a long time. Radio Clyde - a station by Celtic fans for Celtic fans. Fair enough, that's the free market. I just don't listen to it. Real Radio - DJ and Roughie, a couple of dumplings. Radio Scotland - a disgraceful decline from what it was 10 or so years ago. A collection of absolute idiots talking complete nonsense.

I'm sorry the coverage of your game was ruined in such a way. I was also very surprised that the Ayr-Kilmarnock game wasn't chosen for live TV coverage and instead we got the formality of Falkirk-Celtic. I couldn't have watched anyway due to travelling to my own game but most neutrals would have preferred the first game. Who decides these things?

I don't like Liam McLeod commentating. In fact, BBC Scotland don't have any good commentators on radio or television. When you consider the talent available down south, it's incredible no-one can be found in Scotland to commentate authoritatively, competently and without recourse to hysteria as a substitute for conveying excitement by tone and description.

Skyline Drifter

Post by Skyline Drifter » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:39 am

lbb wrote:I'm sorry the coverage of your game was ruined in such a way. I was also very surprised that the Ayr-Kilmarnock game wasn't chosen for live TV coverage and instead we got the formality of Falkirk-Celtic. I couldn't have watched anyway due to travelling to my own game but most neutrals would have preferred the first game. Who decides these things?
You wouldn't have been travelling to your own game as the first game would in fact have been the second game if it had been selected for tv. The tv choice was always going to be the Sunday game.

The Heads of BBC Sport in Scotland would decide.