So, farewell then, Rangers

The place to discuss Scottish football

So, farewell then, Rangers

Postby lbb » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:36 pm

http://news.stv.tv/scotland/west-centra ... istration/

Rangers have filed court papers signalling their intention to go into administration.

STV can exclusively reveal the Ibrox club lodged the notice at the Court of Session in Edinburgh at lunchtime on Monday.
lbb

Re: So, farewell then, Rangers

Postby scottish » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:48 pm

Holy excrement. Still, it's only conceding a league which they would have lost anyway. Ten points off is still enough for them to finish second. Look at what Dundee did last season with 25 points off.
scottish
Site Admin

Postby lbb » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:14 pm

You have more confidence than I do that Rangers will emerge from administration. I honestly think Rangers won't see out this season and, if we do, we won't be around next season. The situation is too big.

Dundee did very well last year - I was rooting for them - but it's much tougher in the SPL, Shirley.
lbb

Postby scottish » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:24 pm

Obviously much depends on the HMRC verdict. if today's decision is because the club has got wind of an adverse outcome then the ba' is indeed on the slates. But if it's a "run-of-the-mill" administration such as we've seen several times over the past decade then arguably the best time to to do it is when it has least effect on the league position.

No SPL club has gone bust. Only one has had points deducted - Gretna - and they were going down anyway. Unlike the SFL, which has cancelled relegations, altered promotions and introduced new clubs to take account of clubs going under, this has never happened in the SPL. As there is no provision to actually relegate a club then a 'new' Rangers (perhaps even named officially Glasgow Rangers FC - I hope they've had the good sense to trademark that name) could apply directly to the SPL. If those circumstances arise then by all that's fair they should start in the SFL Third Division with the runners-up in the 1st promoted to the SPL and adjustments made to promotion/relegation below that. But we all know that won't happen and a 'new' Rangers application to the SPL would be quickly swept through. Particularly if the TV deals depend on it. We don't know if those deals simply ASSUME there will be four OF league meetings a year or whether they specifically STATE it. If the latter then the rest of the clubs are in trouble.

Meanwhile, I found this quite amusing. I doubt if you will.
scottish
Site Admin

Postby HibeeJibee » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:30 pm

Yep, still a lot of uncertainty... [1] when will they formally go into admin (they're saying "decision within 10 days" but it'll surely happen); [2] what happens with HMRC debt and consequences; [3] if its a bad outcome for them, are they liquidated or not; [4] what does that mean for TV/sponsorships; [5] where does a reformed club enter.
HibeeJibee

Postby scottish » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:02 pm

Rangers are now the fourth story - and the first non-Spanish one - on the El Pais website though couched in the usual terms of 'protestantes' and 'catolicos.' Here in Barcelona, nothing about the Gers. The big news in La Vanguardia is that Gerard Pique stopped his car in a bus lane this morning, got out to re-arrange his luggage and saw his car door hit by the number 58 bus (nobody hurt). Pique than had to catch a taxi to the airport to join the Barcelona team on their way to Germany. If it had been Saturday he would have had no problem as the 58 is one of the buses cancelled at weekends as I found out to my cost on Saturday.

But of Rangers, not a mention.
scottish
Site Admin

Postby the hibLOG » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:38 am

According to Ewan Murray in the Guardian Neil Doncaster has confirmed that the TV deal is conditional on both members of the Old Firm being in the SPL and playing each other 4 times a season.
Fraser
the hibLOG

Postby LEATHERSTOCKING » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:21 am

Small matter of fact re Rangers` fixed assets which any admistrator might consider selling off. Ibrox is, indeed, in Glasgow but Murray Park is on the outskirts of Milngavie(next door to a sewage farm) and is, therefore under the jurisdiction of East Dunbartonshire Council`s planning regulations NOT, as stated in today`s press, falling under Glasgow`s. Also Airdrieonians did not take over the name "Clydebank" in 2002 as also stated. A group of businessmen formed a limited liability company calling it Airdrie United Football Club, failed in their effort to join the Scottish League to replace the defunct `Onians(Gretna got in instead - 3rd Division despite Airdrieonians finishing in the 1st Division), bought the shares of Clydebank FC which had ceased trading then successfully reapplied and joined the league in the Bankies` place ie. 2nd Division.

I`d take a small wager that there will be 4 Celtic vs. "Rangers" fixtures in 2012-13`s league programme.
LEATHERSTOCKING

Postby scottish » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:35 am

I see HMRC are taking action to try and forestall Whyte and take charge of proceedings. Presumably if successful they then become preferred creditor?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-17026172
scottish
Site Admin

Postby lbb » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:44 pm

It means HMRC know what Whyte is up to and want the court to avoid a carve-up. If the court rules in their favour, they'll sell the assets and liquidate the club. And that will be that.

LS, never mind next season's fixture, I'll be surprised if this season's Old Firm fixtures take place regardless of what the TV contract says.

It is now a Third Lanark situation and people will be shocked at how quickly this will end for Rangers.
lbb

Postby scottish » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:52 pm

lbb wrote:It means HMRC know what Whyte is up to

I agree with that bit at least. HMRC will want their own administrator and not Whyte's tame one. But I sincerely hope they are able to fulfil their fixtures. I haven't waited 17 years for a home win over Rangers only to see the points deducted and the game scrubbed from the record.

Also, what about Cousin? How can the SPL/SFA permit this move when Hearts are owed transfer money and Dundee United cup-tie cash? If there's a spare £7,500 per week knocking around, shouldn't it be going to those clubs?
scottish
Site Admin

Postby LEATHERSTOCKING » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:42 pm

Isn`t there a tipping point whereby their record would be retained as per the 1920s & 30s? Or would everyone just get a 3-0 win as per Ce`lic in this season`s Europa League? Killie & all the rest could then nominate 3 scorers to have goals added to their career totals! Wouldn`t it be nice for players to be able to tell their grandchildren how they`d scored a hat-trick "where the Ibrox Court flats now stand".
LEATHERSTOCKING

Postby scottish » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:09 pm

So, Whyte has got his own pet administrators in. Quelle surprise.
scottish
Site Admin

Postby Skyline Drifter » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:25 pm

HMRC appointing an administrator wouldn't have made them a preferred creditor anyway.

Rangers will still be here in some guise next season and they will almost certainly still be in the SPL. The existing Rangers FC is unlikely to make it through this though and they will be starting afresh as a new legal entity.
Skyline Drifter

Postby scottish » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:46 pm

Skyline Drifter wrote:HMRC appointing an administrator wouldn't have made them a preferred creditor anyway.

No, but a court-appointed administrator would have been - shall we say - a bit more impartial in going about his business. This way Whyte gets to scrub Rangers debts, not just HMRC but all others not appertaining to himself. The ground is secured and the 'new' company starts afresh, as you say, in the SPL. The major drawbacks are conceding a title they would most likely have lost anyway and not playing in Europe next season which, if this season is anything to go by, is no great loss.

The actions of the administrators in the next couple of days will see if this scenario is the one which will pan out. If they start dismissing the 'little people' admin staff, youth players etc then I'd say the above is the likely course of action. If, as has happened at other clubs, they start releasing players on big money contracts then maybe I'm wrong. However, remember this club sanctioned a signing at £7,500 per week just hours before they indicated their intent to go into administration. Not the actions of a club which thinks it is going to lose its (remaining) top players.
scottish
Site Admin

Next

Return to Scottish Football