Teams who have changed colours quite often

The place to discuss Scottish football

Re: Teams who have changed colours quite often

Postby LEATHERSTOCKING » Wed May 09, 2012 3:35 pm

Thanks qpsnapper. I think Jimmy Quinn in the 80s was the first to ignore the tradition and it spread quite quickly. When I was programme editor at the time, I kept mentioning this to the committee but the members didn`t seem bothered & neither did Eddie Hunter so, although I`m not tied to every Queen`s tradition, I think the "shirt outside the shorts" one is worth maintaining even if only because the hoops look wrong tucked in. Now, if the Spiders could just get rid of the ghastly "away" strip I`d be a happy wee chappie.
LEATHERSTOCKING

Postby LEATHERSTOCKING » Wed May 09, 2012 4:21 pm

When I first saw Dundee Utd.(@ Firhill back in the early 60s I think) they wore all white with 2 black chest hoops and then it was all white with black collar & cuffs - quite nice too - but what possesed them then to go for tangerine & black god knows - surely the ugliest colour combo of all. Thistle too seem to have a competition to see what`s the worst variation on red & yellow hoops("Let`s add black, that`ll be really snazzy"). Clyde won the Cup in 1958 in red shirts with white shorts then soon went back to white with black shorts(their 1955 winning kit) and now try all sorts of variations on both outfits. Would Cel`ic be thrown out of EUFA & the Selfpreservationleague if they refused to scar their hoops with numbers and stuck them back on the shorts? All "away" strips look like they`ve been "designed" by mentally retarded gerbils. Incidentally, when did the Famous Glasgow Rangers change its colours? It`s hardly "Light Blue". Manchester City`s is light blue. I`m sure I saw the Gers wearing white shirts with blue & red chest hoops and blue satiny shorts in the 60s or is my memory REALLY shot? What`s the football strip manufacturers` fetish with yellow shirts & blue shorts anyway? Name a club which hasn`t worn this pukey ensemble at one time or another. I love a good mumph. Will Hibs revert to their "traditional" colours for the Cup Final or even to the colours they wore when they last won the Cup?
LEATHERSTOCKING

Postby the hibLOG » Wed May 09, 2012 10:51 pm

Dave Moor has this to say about Dundee Utd's change to orange:

In 1959-60, United won promotion after twenty-seven undistinguished seasons in the Second Division but this time they consolidated. During this period they wore predominantly all-white kits. In the mid-1960s United played as the Dallas Tornadoes in the North American Soccer League (NASL) during the close season wearing "Columbia blue and burnt orange." In 1969 they adopted orange in the Scottish League but as blue was worn by their rivals Dundee FC, black was substituted instead.

(http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Scottis ... United.htm)

I've highlighted the 'as' in that passage because i think it's a typo. I presume he means they simply played (against) the Dallas Tornadoes, not impersonated them. Still seems a rather arbitrary change of strip. Emulating Real Madrid is one thing, but the Dallas Tornadoes...? Whatever, I think the tangerine is now the default colour for the Arabs, mainly because the change from white and black coincided with the most successful period in their history. White and black may have some older fans, but they can't deny that tangerine is the colour that defines the image of the great McLean teams of the late 70s-early 90s.

Seems as though Clyde wore red shirts for nearly a decade from 54-63, as well as for over 20 years in their early days: http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Scottis ... /Clyde.htm

Rangers' colour has always been what I would call royal blue (funnily enough), as opposed to the navy blue of Scotland, Dundee, Falkirk etc. Man City and Forfar play in light blue or what I would call 'sky blue'. I wonder if perhaps these days some confusion arises from the more common usage of the 'Azzuri' nickname for the Italian national team, whose colour translates as 'light blue' but is closer to royal than sky blue.

Hibs have never worn a change strip of yellow shirts with blue shorts. Pukey ensembles aplenty, but never that one.
Fraser
the hibLOG

Postby scottish » Wed May 09, 2012 11:22 pm

No, they played AS the Dallas Tornadoes in the NASL International Cup. Several British sides took part in the tournament with each representing a US City. Kilmarnock were the St Louis Stars. A good trick question is when did Wolves become Spurs? In this competition they were Kansas City Spurs. West Ham were Baltimore Bays and Aston Villa were Atlanta Chiefs. Oddly enough Killie's 'home' game v West Ham/Baltimore was in Seattle.

The Dundee United centenary history confirms that the change was made for 1969-70 after the strips used in the USA found favour with the board.

On the quote from Historical Kits: it wasn't 27 seasons, it was fourteen (excluding wartime). But if you include wartime it was 28 years, not 27.
scottish
Site Admin

Postby the hibLOG » Thu May 10, 2012 12:04 am

scottish wrote:No, they played AS the Dallas Tornadoes in the NASL International Cup. Several British sides took part in the tournament with each representing a US City. Kilmarnock were the St Louis Stars. A good trick question is when did Wolves become Spurs? In this competition they were Kansas City Spurs. West Ham were Baltimore Bays and Aston Villa were Atlanta Chiefs. Oddly enough Killie's 'home' game v West Ham/Baltimore was in Seattle.

Aha! Perhaps Dave's text loses a little from the lack of context there...
Fraser
the hibLOG

Postby Snuff » Thu May 10, 2012 8:32 am

Leatherstocking - No Forrest, your memory is not failing, Rangers did indeed have a change strip of white shirts, with red and blue hoops and blue satin shorts for a spell in the 1960s - just before they went to the blue and white vertical butcher's stripes. They memorably wore the strip you mentioned in beating Wolves in the semi-final of the Cup-Winners Cup. There was a variant with white shorts with red and blue side stripes and white stockings with red and blue bands at the top - a very nice strip I thought at the time.
Snuff
Snuff

Postby the hibLOG » Thu May 10, 2012 8:40 am

Snuff wrote:Leatherstocking - No Forrest, your memory is not failing, Rangers did indeed have a change strip of white shirts, with red and blue hoops and blue satin shorts for a spell in the 1960s - just before they went to the blue and white vertical butcher's stripes. They memorably wore the strip you mentioned in beating Wolves in the semi-final of the Cup-Winners Cup. There was a variant with white shorts with red and blue side stripes and white stockings with red and blue bands at the top - a very nice strip I thought at the time.

Hmmm. Looks more like they wore the vertical stripes against Wolves according to this: http://www.wolvesheroes.com/2010/08/20/ ... -part-one/

Fraser
the hibLOG

Postby the hibLOG » Thu May 10, 2012 8:49 am

But then again, perhaps they wore the hooped version at Ibrox... http://iainduff.wordpress.com/2012/04/1 ... pton-town/

Fraser
the hibLOG

Postby Snuff » Thu May 10, 2012 9:09 am

Anent pin-stripe strips: HibLOG suggested Dunfermline as starting this fashion in the late 1960s; may I offer the Manchester City change strip as worn in the 1956 FA Cup Final (the Trautmann broken neck game) - this was a pale blue and maroon concoction with thin pin stripes - I am afraid I cannot remember if it was maroon pin-stripes on a blue background or vice versa. Birmingham wore white with blue collars and cuffs.
Snuff
Snuff

Postby LEATHERSTOCKING » Thu May 10, 2012 9:16 am

Manchester City wore maroon shirts with pale blue pin stripes & Birmingham had white shirts with(I thought) black collars & black shorts in 1956. Rangers wore white & blue striped shirts with white shorts for the 1964 Cup Final and Dundee all white. By the 1962 Final St.Mirren had abandoned their black & white stripes(1959 Final win) for all white with black trim & in 1987 had white shadow striped shirts.
LEATHERSTOCKING

Postby Rob R » Thu May 10, 2012 9:37 am

Of course I made a mistake when I said about Rangers & St Mirren programmes being portrait when in fact I should have said landscape.
Rob R

Postby LEATHERSTOCKING » Thu May 10, 2012 11:09 am

Queen`s Park originally wore white shirts with either white or black shorts as a change strip when playing other hoop shirted sides(Celtic, Killie, E.Stirlinghsire, Morton) @ Hampden with shirts tucked into shorts(only the black & white hoops were worn outside). Their most ridiculous "away" strip was back in the 80s when I saw them wear red shirts with black & red hooped sleeves!!!!!!! Alloa wore an Arsenal strip with cuff buttoned sleeves for a Cup tie @ Hampden in the 60s. Celtic wore a white shirt with green sleeves in the 50s(notably vs. Kilmarnock in the 1957 Cup semi final) but I recall being told they threw it away after suffering a particularly heavy defeat wearing it; any confirmation of the game? Morton wore a luminous lemon shirt with black shorts vs. Celtic in a League Cup game @ Hampden in the 60s(I think). Haven`t Albion Rovers gone through quite drastic colour changes over the last forty odd years? Didn`t they wear blue, then yellow and now red? Partick Thistle wore blue when they won the Cup in 1921 but soon changed to West of Scotland colours of red & yellow hoops. Anyone know why? Scotland wear dark blue, Falkirk`s is navy - the difference is quite obvious.
LEATHERSTOCKING

Postby the hibLOG » Sat May 12, 2012 4:07 am

LEATHERSTOCKING wrote: Haven`t Albion Rovers gone through quite drastic colour changes over the last forty odd years? Didn`t they wear blue, then yellow and now red? Partick Thistle wore blue when they won the Cup in 1921 but soon changed to West of Scotland colours of red & yellow hoops. Anyone know why? Scotland wear dark blue, Falkirk`s is navy - the difference is quite obvious.

You are not wrong: http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Scottis ... Rovers.htm
Fraser
the hibLOG

Previous

Return to Scottish Football