Alexander ("Sandy") Simpson Young

The place to discuss Scottish football
bluedragon

Alexander ("Sandy") Simpson Young

Post by bluedragon » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:33 pm

Today I had the pleasure of being invited to the unveiling of a headstone to mark the previously unmarked grave of Sandy Young (St Mirren, Falkirk, Everton, Tottenham Hotspur, Manchester City and Scotland).

Well done to the Everton Football Club Heritage Society with the support of Everton FC in marking the last resting place with a ceremony recognising his goal-scoring talents but also acknowledging the difficult times he experienced after he hung up his boots. It was great to see the event supported by Evertonians Graeme Sharp, Alex Young and Graham Stuart with Hibernian FC helping with arrangements. A nice touch was the laying of flowers by representatives of Slamannan FC – Sandy Young’s first club – and the youngest members of the extended family.

It was the first time I have heard Everton's "Z Cars" theme tune played on the bagpipes!

Scottish
Site Admin

Re: Alexander ("Sandy") Simpson Young

Post by Scottish » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:44 am

blue dragon wrote: It was the first time I have heard Everton's "Z Cars" theme tune played on the bagpipes!
The more I think about it the more the idea of "Z Cars" played on the bagpipes sounds quite appealing.

max444

Re: Alexander ("Sandy") Simpson Young

Post by max444 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:15 pm

I travelled up from Liverpool to attend the event and was very impressed by the way Hibernian FC took care of the visitors by picking the party up from Waverley and taking us first to Easter Road for a cup of tea then on to Seafield Cemetery. I don't think many Scots know but the unsung angels behind the story, of this unfortunate incident, were the two sisters of Sandy, Helen and Agnes, who travelled down to Liverpool, from Avonbridge, to appeal for clemency on his behalf.

Sandy served three years of his sentence before returning home to spend the rest of his days in Edinburgh where he was looked after, towards the end of his life, by his sister Helen Cleeton. It was her great grandchildren who laid a wreath.

It was great to see Alex Young,who arrived with his wife Nancy, attend the event and pose for photographs with the Everton fans of his generation who will always remember him as beginning the "Golden Vision". Well done also to Graham Sharp and Graham Stuart, who were part of Everton's last FA Cup winning team for attending the event. Afterwards, back at Easter Road, it was great to met the representatives of the present day Slamannan FC with who we had good blether. I sure Sandy Young who have been happy to know he had not be forgotten.