Free weekend on Findmypast

The place to discuss Scottish football
ScottishFA

Free weekend on Findmypast

Post by ScottishFA » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:45 am

There is free access to Findmypast's entire set of records this weekend, from noon today until noon on Monday. Well worth a look for any researchers!

Details here: http://www.findmypast.co.uk/freeweekend You have to register with your name and email address, but no need to give any more details.

As well as a good range of census, military and other records, you can access the British Newspaper Archive through Findmypast.

Scottish
Site Admin

Re: Free weekend on Findmypast

Post by Scottish » Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:13 am

I got an email about this yesterday Andy and tried it out this morning. I was shocked to find out that not only had I never been born, nor had my father (exact same name). Of course never having been born neither of us had ever married. Naturally, lack of birth means my father has never died and he has been spared four years wartime service too. This apparent non-existence also explains why we appear on absolutely no records either.

So, I'm not sure who is writing this post.

Edit
Despite my non-existence I can now see that I have been married twice. I can't see any more details as, despite claiming it's a free weekend, I haven't been sent a promotional code so they're asking me for money.

The only thing I can conclude is that while they have England & Wales pretty well covered they have no Scottish (or Northern Irish) information at all.

Or am I doing something simple but dreadfully wrong?

RobertB

Post by RobertB » Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:25 am

scottish wrote:I got an email about this yesterday Andy and tried it out this morning. I was shocked to find out that not only had I never been born, nor had my father (exact same name). Of course never having been born neither of us had ever married. Naturally, lack of birth means my father has never died and he has been spared four years wartime service too. This apparent non-existence also explains why we appear on absolutely no records either.

So, I'm not sure who is writing this post.

Edit
Despite my non-existence I can now see that I have been married twice. I can't see any more details as, despite claiming it's a free weekend, I haven't been sent a promotional code so they're asking me for money.

The only thing I can conclude is that while they have England & Wales pretty well covered they have no Scottish (or Northern Irish) information at all.

Or am I doing something simple but dreadfully wrong?
Doesny Andys post say its from noon today? Your over eager!

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:43 am

RobertB wrote:
Doesny Andys post say its from noon today? Your over eager!
Ah, that would explain not being able to view the RESULTS of searches but not why searches aren't producing results in the first place. I'll re-register under another email address in twenty minutes or so.

ScottishFA

Post by ScottishFA » Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:16 pm

Yep, it's working now!

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:16 pm

I give up. I've run countless "test" searches using personal and family information I know to be absolutely 100% correct and nothing comes up before 1993 and even then there are huge gaps between then and now. Even the earlier stuff I thought was appearing turns out to be some other geezer. Thanks for the info, Andy, but it's back to the BNA & ENFA for me.