What To Do Against Gibraltar

The place to discuss Scottish football
Snuff
Posts: 543
Joined: Tue May 26, 2009 8:55 am
Location: New Cumnock, Ayrshire
Contact:

What To Do Against Gibraltar

Post by Snuff » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:27 am

Gibraltar could be one of those games which make for hard work for the Tartan Army.

We are expected to win, with goals to spare, something which has been beyond Scotland teams for many a long year.

With Gibraltar (allegedly) selecting a specialist bus parker in their squad and WGS favouring a main striker who currently should not be allowed into a byre with a banjo in his hand, I fear another frustrating 90 minutes for the fans.

I have long felt - when we are facing a supposed "diddy" team: San Marino, Liechtenstein, Andorra, Malta or now Gibraltar, for instance, it might be worth WGS's time to leave our so-called stars at home, and pick a team drawn from our top Junior sides.

This might force our opponents to fancy their chances, forget parking the bus and trying to stifle Scotland. Who knows, it could work, if we could draw out opponents out of their comfort zone.
Snuff

bobby s
Posts: 808
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:15 am
Location: Nittingrange
Contact:

Re: What To Do Against Gibraltar

Post by bobby s » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:33 am

I wonder if you'll find there's a rule in the junior rule book specifically to prevent juniors playing for the full scotland side.

:evil:
It's the Hope I can't stand

Snuff
Posts: 543
Joined: Tue May 26, 2009 8:55 am
Location: New Cumnock, Ayrshire
Contact:

Re: What To Do Against Gibraltar

Post by Snuff » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:03 pm

Bobby s wrote:
I wonder if you'll find there's a rule in the junior rule book specifically to prevent juniors playing for the full Scotland side.


I must admit, I never thought of that Bobby, although, especially when the 'bot and Scumnock meet, it is in a parallel universe.
Snuff

Scottish
Site Admin
Posts: 7665
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2005 4:51 pm
Contact:

Re: What To Do Against Gibraltar

Post by Scottish » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:08 pm

O ye of little faith. A team in their first ever tournament, just sacked their manager, a record of 0-7, 0-7, 0-3, 0-4. Their best performance was a 4-0 away defeat against the world champions. On the face of it that doesn't seem too bad but given Germany's results since last summer suggest they're not about to impose a Spanish-style superiority on world football after all, that's about in keeping with results from other teams.

Gibraltar are not San Marino, Liechtenstein, Andorra or Malta. THEY ARE NOWHERE NEAR THAT STANDARD. Provided we get some of that patience for which the TA is legendary (written with tongue planted firmly in cheek), we'll score plenty. Poland put seven past them but it was only 1-0 at half-time. OTOH the Irish blew them apart with three goals inside the first twenty minutes.

I reckon once a firm lead is established that's when the team will ease up rather than going for a cricket score. For two reasons. 1. Goals against Gib don't come into the reckoning in any group qualifying scenario. 2. Important club matches coming up. Any Celtic players involved have only five days between games for instance.

Minimum five I reckon and a great chance for someone to finally grab the first Scotland hat-trick since Colin Stein against Cyprus in 1969.

That's my assessment and I'm a glass half-empty guy.

HibeeJibee
Posts: 773
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:36 pm
Contact:

Re: What To Do Against Gibraltar

Post by HibeeJibee » Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:56 pm

scottish wrote: Gibraltar are not San Marino, Liechtenstein, Andorra or Malta. THEY ARE NOWHERE NEAR THAT STANDARD.
Tbf, they beat Malta 1-0 in the summer. And have drawn with Slovenia and in Estonia. Also beat Faroes in 2011, although lost v them last spring.

Nonetheless solid win today, despite slight concern when it became 1-1.

scottish wrote:Minimum five I reckon and a great chance for someone to finally grab the first Scotland hat-trick since Colin Stein against Cyprus in 1969.
Good calls.

the hibLOG
Posts: 1163
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:41 am
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Contact:

Re: What To Do Against Gibraltar

Post by the hibLOG » Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:29 pm

Snuff wrote:With Gibraltar (allegedly) selecting a specialist bus parker in their squad and WGS favouring a main striker who currently should not be allowed into a byre with a banjo in his hand, I fear another frustrating 90 minutes for the fans.
Was Fletcher the aforementioned banjo-wielder by the way? :twisted:
Fraser

Scottish
Site Admin
Posts: 7665
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2005 4:51 pm
Contact:

Re: What To Do Against Gibraltar

Post by Scottish » Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:32 pm

Can't see a crowd figure for this match either other than Sky saying it was just over 34,000 & the Record saying 10,000 tickets given to schools. I presume from looking at the stands that the 10,000 were part of the 34,000+

Scottish
Site Admin
Posts: 7665
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2005 4:51 pm
Contact:

Re: What To Do Against Gibraltar

Post by Scottish » Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:34 pm

HibeeJibee wrote:
scottish wrote:Minimum five I reckon and a great chance for someone to finally grab the first Scotland hat-trick since Colin Stein against Cyprus in 1969.
Good calls.
Alas, I neglected to visit my stockbroker, Mr Ladbroke.

Aten
Posts: 146
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:59 pm
Contact:

Re: What To Do Against Gibraltar

Post by Aten » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:17 am

The best you can say is we almost but not quite reverted to type, two fortunate penalties helped mind you.

So Fletcher got a hat trick, I’m sure he’s proud of that achievement against Gibraltar. I would have fancied Kevin Kyle or even Kris Boyd to do that against such opposition. Still we can look forward to a repeat against Ireland, Poland or Germany – not! Craig Levein called it right on him.

One day the penny will drop and Scotland managers will see the light and stop picking players from struggling EPL teams and English Championship teams. If they cannot hack it against sides like Gibraltar, then what chance against proper sides? Scoring a hat full of goals was a minimum requirement and although that was achieved the overall performance was pretty dismal. Hutton, Martin, Robertson, Morrison, Anya, Maloney, Fletcher and Ritchie were all poor, Marshall lost concentration and Rhodes showed nothing when he came on. Lets hope Strachan realises what a waste of time it was discovering that Ritchie qualified for Scotland. I won’t hold my breath.

the hibLOG
Posts: 1163
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:41 am
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Contact:

Re: What To Do Against Gibraltar

Post by the hibLOG » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:03 am

Aten wrote:One day the penny will drop and Scotland managers will see the light and stop picking players from struggling EPL teams and English Championship teams.
I'm not sure what the alternative is. Are there Scottish players playing for non-struggling EPL, or Serie A and La Liga clubs, or does playing for an SPL club that would at best struggle in the EPL or Championship make a player a better choice?
Fraser

ScottishFA
Posts: 1127
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:21 pm
Location: Dunblane
Contact:

Re: What To Do Against Gibraltar

Post by ScottishFA » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:37 am

scottish wrote:Can't see a crowd figure for this match either other than Sky saying it was just over 34,000 & the Record saying 10,000 tickets given to schools. I presume from looking at the stands that the 10,000 were part of the 34,000+
34,255. This time it was announced and put on the scoreboard, but just after full-time when the commentators are doing their summaries and the journalists are frantically filing copy. And yes, the 10,000 were included in that figure.

Skyline Drifter
Posts: 790
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:34 pm
Location: Dumfries
Contact:

Re: What To Do Against Gibraltar

Post by Skyline Drifter » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:31 pm

I could have sworn the announcer announced 43 thousand odds as I was walking out of the stadium. It stuck in my mind as my companion and I had debated the attendance during the game and he thought there might be 45,000 whilst I thought it was nowhere near that (we couldn't see the South Upper from where we were so no idea how busy it was). When the crowd was announced it appeared he'd been quite close.

Skyline Drifter
Posts: 790
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:34 pm
Location: Dumfries
Contact:

Re: What To Do Against Gibraltar

Post by Skyline Drifter » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:35 pm

Aten wrote:The best you can say is we almost but not quite reverted to type, two fortunate penalties helped mind you.

So Fletcher got a hat trick, I’m sure he’s proud of that achievement against Gibraltar. I would have fancied Kevin Kyle or even Kris Boyd to do that against such opposition. Still we can look forward to a repeat against Ireland, Poland or Germany – not! Craig Levein called it right on him.

One day the penny will drop and Scotland managers will see the light and stop picking players from struggling EPL teams and English Championship teams. If they cannot hack it against sides like Gibraltar, then what chance against proper sides? Scoring a hat full of goals was a minimum requirement and although that was achieved the overall performance was pretty dismal. Hutton, Martin, Robertson, Morrison, Anya, Maloney, Fletcher and Ritchie were all poor, Marshall lost concentration and Rhodes showed nothing when he came on. Lets hope Strachan realises what a waste of time it was discovering that Ritchie qualified for Scotland. I won’t hold my breath.
Given you are dismissing Fletcher and Rhodes we should be playing who in that role?

I thought Anya did quite well yesterday but these sort of vastly inferior opposition games are difficult to judge anyone on. The one centre half thing didn't work in the first half I thought. Although we scored aplenty so maybe it achieved what was required. We looked completely lost at the back when they did come forward though and it was no surprise it was changed at the interval. Otherwise though I'm not really worried about the performances at all. It's a hurdle to be negotiated with hopefully a few goals thrown in. It was achieved.

Aten
Posts: 146
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:59 pm
Contact:

Re: What To Do Against Gibraltar

Post by Aten » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:09 pm

The problem lies, as ever, with the inability to think outside the box. If we are satisfied with “grunt” football then by all means continue the policy of selecting players where such football is to the fore. But that is an un-ambitious and backward outlook. Such a style of football might do against other home nations or low ranked nations but it will get nowhere against the top countries. We have become so obsessed over failing to qualify for any competition that we have lost sight on how to develop technically proficient players. And when some do show signs of such proficiency the clamour ship them off into obscurity in England is deafening. To name but two classic examples now back playing in Scotland with their tails between their legs, Fraser Fyvie and David Goodwillie.

We tried the sandbags and parked bus policy under Smith and McLeish, we tried the 4-6-0 systems under Levein, and none of it got us anywhere. Lets try playing football for a change.

A great opportunity was missed in the two games against Northern Ireland and Gibraltar. For the Northern Ireland game, the result was irrelevant and the quality of Gibraltar was so poor that Clyde managed by Barry Ferguson could not fail to beat them.

Greg Stewart of Dundee is the leading Scottish born scorer with a strike rate far superior to Fletcher, an ideal opportunity missed to see if he had what it takes. Why no Ryan Gauld? A chance missed to see if he has improved since going to Portugal. Why were none of the under 21 players tried out? Why no Armstrong or McKay-Steven or even Griffiths. The bottom line being if these players could not hack it against Gibraltar, then it really would be time to shut up shop.

Scottish
Site Admin
Posts: 7665
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2005 4:51 pm
Contact:

Re: What To Do Against Gibraltar

Post by Scottish » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:18 am

ScottishFA wrote:
34,255. This time it was announced and put on the scoreboard, but just after full-time when the commentators are doing their summaries and the journalists are frantically filing copy. And yes, the 10,000 were included in that figure.
Ta. Sky announced the 34K+ some time before the end. Maybe the TV deal includes advance knowledge!

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests