Free credits on Scotlandspeople

The place to discuss Scottish football
ScottishFA

Free credits on Scotlandspeople

Post by ScottishFA » Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:53 am

For a wee bit of free research, ScotlandsPeople and Daily Record have a promotion just now offering 20 free credits.

Just log on and use the voucher code scotlandnow and your account will be credited.

More details here: http://www.scotlandnow.dailyrecord.co.u ... ts-5466919

nightfire

Re: Free credits on Scotlandspeople

Post by nightfire » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:13 pm

Thanks for that

ScottishFA

Post by ScottishFA » Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:29 pm

By the way, this offer is still valid - until the end of the month.

And it also works with multiple email addresses, so you can get the free credits several times over so long as you have an email which can receive the password for log-in.

Partick Thistle

Post by Partick Thistle » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:05 pm

Cheers Andy,

Great resource, although my 20 credits lasted barely 10 minutes.

Problem is, I'd want to get tore in about that site but before you know it, it'd have cost me over a grand, it's not happening.

Has anybody ever spent the day at the physical HQ? I see you can get a day search pass for £15. Does anybody know if that gives full / unlimited access to the online database?
William

ScottishFA

Post by ScottishFA » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:59 pm

I've been quite a few times, and you can really get through a lot of records in a day's work. The main attraction is that you can click on limitless records for a flat fee of £15, the other significant advantage over online access is that the records go right up to date (there is a cut-off period online).

So if, for example, you are trying to find the death of a player but have no idea when he died, you can just click through year after year until you find him (as the parents are given on birth as well as death certs it is straightforward to confirm a match). You need a lot of stamina to sit at a computer straight through from 9am to 4.30pm!

Although I have been to the centre in Edinburgh, the full service is now available at a few family history centres around Scotland, at the same fee. There are facilities in Glasgow, Alloa, Inverness, Hawick and Kilmarnock. For some reason Scotlandspeople don't advertise this on their own website, but you can see the list here: http://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/research/l ... ry-centres

Partick Thistle

Post by Partick Thistle » Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:31 pm

Ah, limitless, superb, that's what I thought, but they don't make it clear in their info. The cynic in me suspects they're probably trying to keep the online income maximised.

I'm now going to mentally gear myself up for one or three mega-shifts!
William

HibeeJibee

Post by HibeeJibee » Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:39 pm

Having done some family tree stuff a while ago: I found doing it from home, buying credits as I went, was convenient (and cost-effective) when I had accurate details so I knew who I was looking for, fairly accurately when, and fairly accurately where. Didn't cost too much, and little 'wasted' on wrong ones. Of course one certificate often provided the accurate details needed for another, and census entries covered numerous family members in 1 certificate.

Also provided I only wanted BMD certificates falling outwith their cut-offs, which I think are 100 years for birth, 75 for marriages and 50 for deaths? You can only view those in person (albeit can't save/print copies).

I then went to Register House a couple of times to try to fill the gaps. Much more costeffective to pay £15 flat fee, to spend several hours trawling to find the right ones after a dozen wrong ones each time. Plus could view within the cut-offs and handwrite those ones out.

I imagine it'd be much the same for researching football squads, war veterans, celebrities or whatever.

Certainly if you were looking for lots of people - players of a entire club's history, say, not just a particular season - £15 + travel costs will always be cheaper... Credits at home were equating to about £1 per certificate when I did it, and may be more now.

Bristol Rovers

Post by Bristol Rovers » Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:37 pm

ScottishFA wrote:For a wee bit of free research, ScotlandsPeople and Daily Record have a promotion just now offering 20 free credits.

Just log on and use the voucher code scotlandnow and your account will be credited.

More details here: http://www.scotlandnow.dailyrecord.co.u ... ts-5466919
Thanks. That was really useful - found four dates of birth which I previously didn't know.

On that note, does anyone here know anything about Scottish addresses in the 1960s, please? The former Bristol Rovers player, John Laurie, died in February 1961 at an address I can only read as 68 Crestside Street, Glasgow (possibly in Cathcart?) - is this the correct name for this street?

ScottishFA

Post by ScottishFA » Fri May 01, 2015 9:37 am

Bristol Rovers wrote:On that note, does anyone here know anything about Scottish addresses in the 1960s, please? The former Bristol Rovers player, John Laurie, died in February 1961 at an address I can only read as 68 Crestside Street, Glasgow (possibly in Cathcart?) - is this the correct name for this street?
Perhaps Cartside Street? Unfortunately the digitised Glasgow directories on the National Library website only go up to 1912, but Glasgow libraries will have the hard copies up to the 1960s.