ScottishFA

Arab Archive hacked

Post by ScottishFA » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:56 pm

A warning to all of us who run football history websites:

http://www.thecourier.co.uk/news/local/ ... s-1.864417

Partick Thistle

Re: Arab Archive hacked

Post by Partick Thistle » Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:01 pm

I feel for them, but I can't believe that such an excellent project as The Arab Archive does not have an offline data back-up aye-ready to re upload at anytime.

I hope for their sake they tighten up procedures after this - corrupt or lost data is a needless tragedy.

Also, Twitter seem utterly useless at assisting hacked accounts. The AA have had to start from scratch, but they've recovered well in a short time.

Hopefully they'll be back fitter and stronger soon...
William

Scottish
Site Admin

Re: Arab Archive hacked

Post by Scottish » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:58 am

I became aware of this when I was unfollowed on Twitter, not an infrequent occurrence I hasten to add but on this occasion a strange one because I saw the Twitter name doing the unfollowing bore absolutely no relation to the Arab Archive Twitter account. I won't say what the name was, lest the ability of these people to track down mentions of it for new targetting, draws undue attention. I won't say it even once, let alone a 'Beetlejuice' three times. But the name clearly indicated a hacker was at work.

I can't imagine the effort that has had to be put in to restore one of the best resources on the web and have conveyed my anger at this happening and sympathy for the site owners via Twitter.