NUMBERS

The place to discuss Scottish football

NUMBERS

Postby LEATHERSTOCKING » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:24 am

A little quirk I`ve noticed and wonder if others have too regarding team line ups. If we ignore for a moment the 2, 2, 6 line up, when all sides lined up 2, 3, 5(and even now the syntax is used when reading out teams!), no.2 was right back, 3 left back, 4 right half, 5 centre half, 6 left half, 7 outside right, 8 inside right, 9 centre forward, 10 inside left & 11 outside left(there you are, a free lesson for all you under 40s!). This is based on looking back at the XI from the centre line and reading left to right but in 19thC newspapers, the common (but confusingly not exclusive) way of reading the team was from the goalkeeper`s perspective again reading from left to right so the left back would be our no.2, the right back no.3, left half no.4, centre half no. 5, right half no.6, outside left no.7, inside left no.8, centre forward no.9, inside right no.10 & outside right no.11. In the 2, 2, 6 line up, the half backs were nos. 4 & 5, the outside left no.6 the inside left no.7, left centre forward no.8, right centre forward no.9, inside right no.10 & outside right no.11. The numbers are, of course, anachronistic and used merely to denote sequence. As late as 1948, Queen`s Park didn`t besmirch the hoops with numerals and Celtic desisted until forced to by UEFA(in the 80s?).
LEATHERSTOCKING

Re: NUMBERS

Postby Vasco » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:33 pm

A rather amusing tale about the latter's use of numbered hooped jerseys.

In the 1980s I played for the Jim Kennedy Celtic Supporters' Club Sunday League team. The late Mr Kennedy was a local Johnstone boy who, having played for his beloved Jungle Jims and Scotland, was by this stage working at Parkhead in one of several capacities. Anyway, with European ties, and thus the need to wear numbered shirts, reduced to, even then, only a few games per season, we often wore the numbered shirts. Jim would bring them for us, we'd play in them, his wife would wash them and they would be returned to Parkhead.

Late in 1982 we were involved in a cup final with one of our bitterest rivals, the Millbrae, who had Tommy Turner in their ranks. There was a particularly nasty incident which left one of our players, Johnny McCabe, so badly injured with a head knock after a really crude challenge, that he was taken to hospital.

We won and, as is normal in such situations, we celebrated big-time, even though Johnny was kept in hospital for a couple of days. It was only when the strips were being looked out on the Tuesday for Celtic's forthcoming game the next night against Real Sociedad that the discovery of a missing shirt was made. A rather red-faced Mr Kennedy scratched his head in disbelief before remembering poor Johnny. A quick visit to the RAI in Paisley resolved the issue, as the blood stained shirt was in Johnny's locker. Jim still had to get the shirt washed and ironed, which he managed, and Danny McGrain strode out, as captain, wearing said shirt on the Wednesday night.
Vasco

Postby Snuff » Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:11 am

Vasco, that is a brilliant story, I shall purloin it shamelessly.

I trust Tommy Turner was not involved in the unfortunate injury - I always found TT an absolute gentleman, when I had to deal with him in his days as a St Mirren icon.
Snuff
Snuff

Postby Vasco » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:15 am

No, Tam wasn't involved. It was another local worthy, who was actually a very tidy footballer, who did the damage. His son went on to be quite successful with the Burgh.
Vasco

Postby EastJunior » Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:28 pm

Fantastic story :lol:
EastJunior

Return to Scottish Football