SFL RIP?

The place to discuss Scottish football
Scottish
Site Admin

SFL RIP?

Post by Scottish » Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:24 pm

Peter Donald is resigning as Secretary of the SFL at the end of the season. This could be an indication that the SPL 2 rebels have won the day and may well mean the end of the SFL as a professional league.

Supporters in general have little time for football administrators but I think this completes a process which has been underway since the demise of Jim Farry at the SFA whereby football men have been replaced by those of a more commercial bent.

Some may argue this is a good thing but I'm not so sure. Certainly from personal experience I've always found the SFL to be much more approachable than the SPL. The latter gives the impression that if you're not a sponsor bearing moolah then they don't want to know you.

There are three other disturbing aspects to SPL 2. Firstly, the clubs who shouted the loudest about the perceived unfairness of the SPL's original 10,000 seats rule are themselves preparing to pull up the drawbridge behind them by instituting a 3,000 seat rule guaranteed to keep many 2nd and 3rd division clubs out. Secondly, at least the original SPL was formed on merit. SPL 2 appears to be wanting to take in clubs based on size and 'potential' currently not good enough to make the 1st division on merit. And finally (and perhaps most significantly) the leaders of the breakaway are Livingston and Dundee - two ex-SPL clubs who are only in the 1st division as a result of monumental overspending and gross mismanagement while in the top flight.

Hardly the harbingers of a bright new dawn.

Ma Ba'

Post by Ma Ba' » Tue May 01, 2007 7:11 am

I must say I agree 100% with your post.........I am a fan of one of the clubs (The Thistle) who have bleated (quite rightly) on over the past few years about the unjust rule making / bending of the SPL.......and then we go all out to promote a 'mini' Self Preservation League ourselves! increadible!

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Tue May 01, 2007 3:09 pm

Thanks for that and welcome to the forum. A good name for a Jags fan too. While it appears we have to wait for the SFL AGM on May 25th for a definitive result on this the most surprising thing for me in the recent vote on it was the presence of Ayr United, Peterhead & Stirling Albion amongst the clubs in favour.

None of that trio have 3,000 seats and only Ayr could have expected an invitation to join based on support.