NEWSPAPER ARCHIVES

Scottish Football Answers to Questions

NEWSPAPER ARCHIVES

Postby LEATHERSTOCKING » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:55 pm

Is it just me? I`ve been introduced to various newspaper archives which is, theoretically, great BUT when I find the newspaper page I want and try to zoom in, the whole page gets covered in other bits of the paper superimposed and it`s impossible to read. How do I stop this?
LEATHERSTOCKING

Re: NEWSPAPER ARCHIVES

Postby BMCCOLL » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:40 pm

I assume you're talking about Google's archive.

Hover over the page you're looking at with the mouse and click on a highlighted part. The report then gets magnified. Use the +/- zoom at the top of the page to move in and out.
BMCCOLL

Postby scottish » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:07 pm

The other option, if you can't find a highlighted section, is to click again. Two clicks will bring up a 'normal' view.
scottish
Site Admin

Postby LEATHERSTOCKING » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:51 pm

Thanks guys. David`s option worked for me. To paraphrase Gordon Jackson as MacDonald in the Great Escape,"Why didn't I think of that before? It's so simple, it's positively brilliant!"
LEATHERSTOCKING

Postby scottish » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:35 am

LEATHERSTOCKING wrote:To paraphrase Gordon Jackson as MacDonald in the Great Escape

Just don't say 'thank you' in English next time you board a bus in Germany.
scottish
Site Admin

Postby LEATHERSTOCKING » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:30 am

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY??!!! Your crazy, you ought to be locked up. Two hundred and fifty guys just walking down the road.
LEATHERSTOCKING

Postby LEATHERSTOCKING » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:40 am

Believe it of not, I have a cd of THE GREAT ESCAPE - dubbed into German!! The only English bits are when the prisoners are singing Christmas carols to mask the sound of Danny hacking his way through concrete to start "Tom" & when Gordon Jackson says "Thank you" to the Gestapo man @ the bus stop.
LEATHERSTOCKING

Postby scottish » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:48 am

Ach, that's nothing. Caught it in German on holiday in Vienna a few years ago. I now have a copy which, as well as the original English, is dubbed into Spanish, French, Italian & German. There are subtitles in all those languages plus Portuguese, Swedish, Dutch, Danish, Norwegian, Finnish & Polish. The English and German subtitles have two versions, one 'normal' and one for the deaf though I have no idea what the difference is.
scottish
Site Admin

Postby LEATHERSTOCKING » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:57 am

To quote Walter Mattheau - JESUS CHRIST, ARE YOU CRAZY? I`d have throught subtitles would be enough for the deaf but there are dafter things; how about miming the action for the blind. There was a ventriloquist in the 50s & 60s who performed soley on RADIO!!! He made the mistake of transferring to TV where we could all see why he was such a hit on radio. He once asked Beryl Reid if she could see his lips moving and she replied,"Only when the dummy`s talking."
LEATHERSTOCKING

Return to SFAQS