[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
www.scottishleague.net • View topic - William "Billy" Hunter

William "Billy" Hunter

Scottish Football Answers to Questions

William "Billy" Hunter

Postby stuthejag » Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:09 pm

stuthejag

Postby bobby s » Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:52 pm

The new Litster disk says:

William Hunter was signed to St Bernards in 1895 [maybe a previous William Hunter] and then again in 1904, then onto Airdrie in 1906, Kilmarnock in 1908, Rangers in 1909, Hamilton in 1911, Motherwell in 1912, Cowdenbeath in 1913.

Might be the same player?
It's the Hope I can't stand
bobby s

Postby the hibLOG » Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:36 pm

Fraser
the hibLOG

Postby Scottish » Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:26 pm

Scottish
Site Admin

Postby Steve Emms » Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:44 am

I've certainly got the St Bernards Hunters as two separate men, which makes 1888 feasible as a birthdate; the later Hunter was born in Springside. Incidentally, after Cowdenbeath he made one appearance for Motherwell in 14/15.
Steve Emms

Re: William "Billy" Hunter

Postby jeroen » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:09 am

Is everbody absolutely sure that the manager and the Kilmarnock, Rangers , Airdrie etc. player is the same person? I'm starting to think that the W.B. Hunter who managed the Dutch national team a few times and Dutch club DFC (1914) was the former Bolton Wanderers player. I should be able to find his date of birth in Dordrecht but that will be not before Christmas. (in 'het bevolkingsregister' ,online I couldn't find him ,only his address )According to Joyce he was born in Alva 1885
Last edited by jeroen on Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
jeroen

Postby Scottish » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:30 am

Scottish
Site Admin

Postby jeroen » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:12 pm

I found him in the Dordrecht archives.

Full name William Brown Hunter born in Alva 2 April 1885 He was registered in Dordrecht 17-9-1912/ 25-5-1918. Profession: Trainer, Marital Status: - (not filled in) ,Roman Catholic

He left the country when WW I started, and joined the army. In December 1915 he wrote a letter to Holland telling his friends in Dordrecht he was a corporal (A & S Highlanders 2/7) He hoped to go to the front soon.
jeroen

Postby foxspur » Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:18 pm

My grandfather was William Hunter, and he was born in Springside on July 29 1880. To me he was "Pop" and in later life he was a teacher. He had a lovely temperament and I used to love visiting Wishaw each year from Corby. I had heard he played for Scotland but cannot find a record of it. I also had a cousin Wilson Humphries of Motherwell, who did play once for Scotland.
foxspur

Postby Scottish » Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:42 pm

Hi there and welcome to the forum. Your grandfather was the William Hunter mentioned in the post of Nov 12th 2007, not the one who coached in Holland. He never played for the full Scottish international team but he did play for the Scottish League against the Irish League at Grosvenor Park, Belfast in 1909 with the Scots winning 2-1.

Wilson Humphries, as you say, was a full international. His sister was my Maths teacher.
Scottish
Site Admin

Postby DavidCockburn » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:58 pm

I've got William Hunters gold medal from 1911 challenge cup in Lanark. Came to me via my grandfathers gold watch where it always was. How did he get it, my great grand mother was Maggie Hunter of Springside, next village to Dreghorn was I was born. Please contact me on 07905 469713 for further information or mail me at info@osirisltd.net for photos of the medal
DavidCockburn

Postby Scottish » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:00 pm

Hi there and welcome to the forum. He was with Airdrieonians at the time and they won the Lanarkshire Cup in 1910-11.
Scottish
Site Admin

Postby jeroen » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:19 pm

The other Hunter (William Brown Hunter): Did he play for Kings Park shortly after WW1 before he returned to the continent?
jeroen

Postby DavidCockburn » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:32 pm

Hi there,

My understanding from previous research is that William moved to Airdrieonians on 8 May 1911, and returned to Ibrox a year later. In between he won the Lanarkshire Consolation Cup (also known as the Lanarkshire Express Cup) with the Broomfield side in 1911-12, beating, ironically enough, Hamilton 1-0 in the final at Motherwell.

The back of the medal is simply inscribed LCC 1911 and W Hunter

I was given the following summary by a football historian:

1904-1905 St Bernards
1905-1909 Airdrieonians (with a two month stint at Kilmarnock (Mar-May 1908)
1909-11 Rangers (also at Hamilton Mar-Apr 1911)
1911-12 Airdrieonians (& Rangers)
1912-13 Motherwell (& Rangers)
1913-14 Cowdenbeath
1914-15 Motherwell

Can you or anyone verify the above and explain the (& Rangers) - does this mean he was on loan?
DavidCockburn

Postby Scottish » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:44 pm

The dates you have are in line with those in John Litster's disk of pre-war players and suggests the & Rangers signifies he was loaned out. Certainly he only played one season for Rangers 1909-10 despite scoring 19 times in 17 league matches (including all five in Rangers 5-1 home win over Hamilton on Oct 16th 1909) and being Rangers' top scorer that season. I don't have 1910-11 data but he played 17 league games for Airdrie in 1911-12, scoring six times, 12 times for Motherwell 1912-13 with three goals, then signed for Cowdenbeath, winning a Second Division championship medal in 1913-14.

He also played for Lochgelly United and for Saltcoats Vics in the juniors during WW1

Regarding the medal if it doesn't have a definitive season on it such as 1910-11 or 1911-12 and just says 1911 then it is almost certainly from the 1901-11 season as these county competition finals took place at the end of the regular league season. I assume LCC stands for Lanarkshire Challenge Cup rather than Consolation Cup as I think Lanarkshire Express Cup would be the correct terminology by then.
Scottish
Site Admin

Next

Return to SFAQS