QOS Scottish Cup crowds?

Scottish Football Answers to Questions
Matt

QOS Scottish Cup crowds?

Post by Matt » Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:05 pm

Last season QOS played Hibs in the SC QF (24 Feb 2007). The crowd given at the time was 6,198. However, according to the Rothmans 2007-2008 the attendance was 6,400 ... Last weekend's Cup tie vs Dundee was attended by 6,278. David, I think I know your answer already. Anyhow, what do you think of the recent Palmerston "record" crowd of 6,400 as indicated in the Rothmans?

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:35 pm

Hi Matt, the 6198 is also the official figure from the SFA so I would go with that, not Rothmans. Presumably the 6278 for last Saturday is also correct. I make that the biggest crowd at Palmerston for a Scottish Cup tie since 18,700 v Rangers in the quarter-finals in 1976 and the best in any cup game there since 6404 v Celtic in the League Cup 2nd round in 1985-86.

Both last Saturday and last year's game are marginally ahead of the 6158 for the league game v Morton in 2002.

Skyline Drifter

Re: QOS Scottish Cup crowds?

Post by Skyline Drifter » Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:06 am

Matt wrote:Last season QOS played Hibs in the SC QF (24 Feb 2007). The crowd given at the time was 6,198. However, according to the Rothmans 2007-2008 the attendance was 6,400 ... Last weekend's Cup tie vs Dundee was attended by 6,278. David, I think I know your answer already. Anyhow, what do you think of the recent Palmerston "record" crowd of 6,400 as indicated in the Rothmans?
Rothmans have made that up. The crowd for the Hibernian game was 6,198.

The crowd on Saturday was 6,278.

The licenced capacity of the ground now is 6,412 but that includes a small area of terrace inaccessible to the public and some seats in the old Main Stand that are not usually sold due to offering a view of only one goal. 6,278 is to all intents and purposes a capacity crowd (though it does include members of the youth squads occupying the part of terrace that the public can't access).

The Celtic crowd referred to dates back to when capacity at Palmerston was over 8,000 and the Terregles Street terrace, now without a safety certificate altogether and unused, was in use.

Skyline Drifter

Post by Skyline Drifter » Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:10 am

scottish wrote:Both last Saturday and last year's game are marginally ahead of the 6158 for the league game v Morton in 2002.
That game was the last of the season when we picked up the second division championship. All the more astonishing considering it was utterly meaningless. We had already won it and they turned up for a glorified friendly and to see the trophy presented.

That was easily the biggest home support in recent decades. Morton had only a few hundred at the game. There were in excess of 5,500 Queens fans at the game. For both Saturday's tie against Dundee and last year's one against Hibernian, away fans filled the whole of the Galloway News Stand so contributing around 2,150 to the total.

I would imagine however that we'll beat that total of Queens fans for the impending semi final at Hampden. :D

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:46 am

Skyline Drifter wrote:I would imagine however that we'll beat that total of Queens fans for the impending semi final at Hampden. :D
If you want a Hampden semi you'd better hope Celtic win their replay. I'll guarantee you now that if Aberdeen get through they'll lobby hard for the game to played in Edinburgh.

The Dons and the Dundee teams have a lot of previous for this when their semi-final opponents aren't from the OF.

Skyline Drifter

Post by Skyline Drifter » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:03 pm

scottish wrote:
Skyline Drifter wrote:I would imagine however that we'll beat that total of Queens fans for the impending semi final at Hampden. :D
If you want a Hampden semi you'd better hope Celtic win their replay. I'll guarantee you now that if Aberdeen get through they'll lobby hard for the game to played in Edinburgh.

The Dons and the Dundee teams have a lot of previous for this when their semi-final opponents aren't from the OF.
I do want a Hampden semi. There's every likelihood that this might be our first and only chance to experience a competitive (non Queens Park) game at Hampden. Our club would bitterly resist attempts to move it from Hampden.

I do hope Celtic win their replay anyway (and it's not often I say that!). A semi final v Celtic would be a bigger occasion and a bigger crowd.