On loan players what should the club be?

Scottish Football Answers to Questions
Sat31March1928

On loan players what should the club be?

Post by Sat31March1928 » Sun Aug 28, 2005 9:32 pm

This came up earlier in the week.

Gary Caldwell was playing for Hibs when he won his first cap, whilst on loan from Newcastle.

Should his club be Newcastle or Hibs?

I've gone with Newcastle but willing to take advice.
Jackson; James; Jackson; James; Jackson

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Sun Aug 28, 2005 10:24 pm

I think you're right in this instance to go with Newcastle. Surely it has to be the club that holds the player's registration? There may be a case for both clubs claiming the cap as a player is registered with one and playing for another but it can't be right to say a player was capped while withthe on-loan club and ignore the club he's registered with.

This is going to be more common in the future given the explosion in the number of on-loan players with some of these players - Henri Camara for instance at Celtic last season - commanding on-loan transfer fees larger than regular transfers.

There will also be a rise in unattached players. Take Henrik Larsson. I think I'm right in saying that he played in Euro 2004 after he left Celtic but before he joined Barcelona.

Asterix

Post by Asterix » Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:13 am

I think you are right to go with the club who holds his registration in the first instance. The loan club should be secondary to that.

LEATHERSTOCKING

Post by LEATHERSTOCKING » Mon Aug 29, 2005 6:26 pm

Pat Bonnar played in the World Cup Finals "unattached" in 1994. The caps he won in the US & immediatley before would have made him Celtic`s record cap holder instead of McStay if he`d still been registered with them.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Mon Aug 29, 2005 7:27 pm

That's a debatable point. Bonner played for Celtic in 1993-94 and again in 94-95 and Rothmans gives all his caps as being while with Celtic.

But he had definitely left Parkhead and was reportedly 'signed' by Tommy Burns for Kilmarnock and some newspapers (inlcuding Irish ones) listed him as a Killie player during the 1994 World Cup.

Of course Burns was on his way to Celtic as manager and one of his first acts was to re-sign Bonner.