Club Managers

Scottish Football Answers to Questions

Re: Club Managers

Postby prorege » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:42 pm

Forfar Athletic:

The Evening Times of January 23rd 1960 reports that former Rangers player David Gray had resigned as team manager before that day's match.
prorege

Postby scottish » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:53 am

Thanks for that. Duly amended.
scottish
Site Admin

Re: EX-LEAGUE CLUBS

Postby Skyline Drifter » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:19 pm

scottish wrote:Gretna

Rowan Alexander Nov 2000- Mar 5th 2007
Davie Irons Mar 5th 2007- Feb 19 2008
Mick Wadsworth Feb 20th 2008-May 19 2008

I have a memory of Iain Scott being in charge for at least one match. Between Irons and Wadsworth perhaps? Could be wrong, maybe it never happened but he was certainly flagged up in advance of a game at some point as being in charge for it.
Skyline Drifter

Postby scottish » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:49 pm

Says HERE that Wadsworth took over, assisted by Scott and Andy Smith.
scottish
Site Admin

Postby Skyline Drifter » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:10 am

scottish wrote:Says HERE that Wadsworth took over, assisted by Scott and Andy Smith.

Yeah, fair enough. Was just musing that I certainly read it somewhere. Iain Scott was a former manager of us of course and I knew him very well for a while, though haven't seen him for 2 or 3 years now. He was working in Aberdeen as an SFA Development Officer last I knew. I tended to pay attention to mentions of him in the press and I definitely recall something about him being in charge of the first team for a game somewhere along the line. Can't imagine it was whilst Irons was still there so it would have to have been after.

Maybe events overtook it and Wadsworth took over instead or maybe Wadsworth was unavailable at some point (did he not go to Canada to apply for a job during the latter stages of his tenure) and Scott was in charge then.

As an aside incidentally, having whiled away an hour reading through the manager lists out of interest last night when I got bored with my current project to trace all the QoS shareholders from 1922 forward, the Stirling Albion list needs updated for John O'Neill's departure and Jocky Scott's appointment.
Skyline Drifter

Postby scottish » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:44 pm

Skyline Drifter wrote: the Stirling Albion list needs updated for John O'Neill's departure and Jocky Scott's appointment.

Thanks, will do. Sometimes some of the lower division management changes escape me as they often don't make headline news (outwith that club's supporters of course) so if anyone sees anything I've missed, please do post it here.
scottish
Site Admin

Postby prorege » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:01 pm

Annan Athletic Managers

pre 1975 Management Committee
1976/6-1992/3 Sam Wallace
1993/4 Stuart Rome
1994/5-March 1997 Derek Frye
March 1997-May 1998 Kevin Hetherington
May 1998-December 1998 Tony Chilton
December 98 - May 2002 Davie Irons
May 2002-December 2003 Billy Sim
December 2003-Sep 2004 Harry Cairney
Sep 2004-Oct 2005 Sandy Ross
Oct 2005 - May 2006 Kenny Brown
cs 2006 - date Harry Cairney

(Source - Annan Athletic Programme, 9/8/08)
prorege

Postby Skyline Drifter » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:16 pm

Kenny Brannigan was informed on 20th May 2011 that his contract as manager of Queen of the South would not be renewed when it expired on May 31st 2011.

Not sure which date you would prefer to use for his departure. Personally I'd go for 31st May but you could make a case for either. Technically he held the title right up to the end of May and there was no early departure settlement. However, there was also no actual work for the manager at that time of year, he was never near the club in the intervening period and he certainly wasn't allowed to take any decisions on behalf of the club (and hadn't been since the final match on 7th May).

Hopefully we'll make an announcement of a new manager tomorrow.
Skyline Drifter

Postby scottish » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:58 pm

Skyline Drifter wrote:Kenny Brannigan was informed on 20th May 2011 that his contract as manager of Queen of the South would not be renewed when it expired on May 31st 2011. Not sure which date you would prefer to use for his departure. Personally I'd go for 31st May

I agree - which is why I put that date down. Your club is one of the few that seems to be quite meticulous about issuing notice that contracts won't be renewed rather than sacking a manager. I suppose that also means no compo if someone just works out their notice whether at the club or on 'gardening leave' and that might mean quite a saving.

Skyline Drifter wrote:Hopefully we'll make an announcement of a new manager tomorrow.

If it's who the BBC are saying it is then you're getting one of the good guys. Even so I think it's going to be a difficult season for you next time round. The promoted pair are a lot stronger than the clubs they're replacing. Still, at least you'll probably HAVE a manager tomorrow. Unlike a certain SPL club which still hasn't gotten around to making any kind of announcement about its long-term manager despite the previous incumbent leaving in March, despite a press claim about the appointment over two weeks ago and despite another manager resigning his post because he's allegedly going to be assistant at said SPL club.

On managers, more generally, I'd encourage people to have another look at this thread. I have added and updated a lot of information over the past few months and the A-Z of managers book is progressing well though I can't give a publication date as yet.
scottish
Site Admin

Postby Skyline Drifter » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:00 pm

scottish wrote:
Skyline Drifter wrote:Kenny Brannigan was informed on 20th May 2011 that his contract as manager of Queen of the South would not be renewed when it expired on May 31st 2011. Not sure which date you would prefer to use for his departure. Personally I'd go for 31st May

I agree - which is why I put that date down. Your club is one of the few that seems to be quite meticulous about issuing notice that contracts won't be renewed rather than sacking a manager. I suppose that also means no compo if someone just works out their notice whether at the club or on 'gardening leave' and that might mean quite a saving.

I wasn't conscious you had put a date down anywhere (though having looked back through the thread I see KB's departure date is in the Queens managers post). I clicked the link on the first post on the thread to see if you'd updated for Brannigan's departure, saw that he was still in situ according to the spredsheet (and still is) so posted the info in case you'd missed it.

In 2000 when John Connolly was appointed the next manager, Ken Eadie and George Rowe remained in situ until their contracts expired. That's the only other time I can recall us giving notice to anyone and even there it's debatable who gave notice to who. The actual announcement came from them that they would be resigning at the end of their contracts. (And McCall was sacked on the Wednesday before the final game in 2007 but allowed to stay until after that game, but not the end of his contract).
Skyline Drifter

Postby Skyline Drifter » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:37 am

And you can add Gus McPherson from today 10th June, officially. :P
Skyline Drifter

Postby scottish » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:13 pm

Skyline Drifter wrote:And you can add Gus McPherson from today 10th June, officially. :P

Have added. Good luck to Gus for the season ahead. Regarding your earlier point about the out of date Excel file, I've been updating/adding/amending virtually every day as I research/write the A-Z so it would be a bit wasteful to upload a file that would be out of date almost as soon as it was uploaded. All the changes I've made to my own copy are reflected in this thread so if you like you can download the file and make your own additions/amendments from here.

I WILL upload but once it reaches a stage where I am happy it won't be obsolete in a couple of days.
scottish
Site Admin

Postby gogsy1968 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:49 am

Note in Dundee Courier states that A Andersons three year contract with Arbroath expired on 22nd April 1949 and that he would take charge of Ayr United from that date. As Ayr were going to play a few games in the North of Scotland he was going to be picked up on the way to the games.
gogsy1968

Postby Skyline Drifter » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:35 pm

Just going through this thread looking at length of time in the job for current incumbents it's worth noting there's a few tidy ups needed. Barry Smith (Dundee), Jackie McNamara (Partick Thistle), Kenny Shiels (Kilmarnock) all don't have their confirmed appointments in, though all are noted as caretakers, and Jefferies departure from Hearts and replacement by the Portuguese chap needs added.
Skyline Drifter

Postby Skyline Drifter » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:03 pm

prorege wrote:Annan Athletic Managers

pre 1975 Management Committee
1976/6-1992/3 Sam Wallace
1993/4 Stuart Rome
1994/5-March 1997 Derek Frye
March 1997-May 1998 Kevin Hetherington
May 1998-December 1998 Tony Chilton
December 98 - May 2002 Davie Irons
May 2002-December 2003 Billy Sim
December 2003-Sep 2004 Harry Cairney
Sep 2004-Oct 2005 Sandy Ross
Oct 2005 - May 2006 Kenny Brown
cs 2006 - date Harry Cairney

(Source - Annan Athletic Programme, 9/8/08)

Harry Cairney was appointed on 29th May 2006 per info from the Annan Chairman posted on P&B
Skyline Drifter

PreviousNext

Return to SFAQS