George Tidy

Scottish Football Answers to Questions

George Tidy

Postby Scottish » Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:26 pm

Steven Tidy asks: "My father George Tidy played for Brechin in the early 50's. George will soon celebrate his 75th birthday and any info on his football carrer would be an added birthday bonus for me to give to him."

George Tidy started out as a centre-half with Royston Roseberry but played in goal shortly before being transferred to Edinburgh City during 1949-50 and it was as a goalkeeper that he played there and in the senior ranks ( Edinburgh City at that time had just turned junior).

He joined 'B' Division Dunfermline Athletic at the start of 1951-52 and made eleven first team appearances, nine in the league and two in the Supplementary Cup before moving on to Brechin City at the start of 1952-53.

Brechin were then in the 'C' Division and I'm afraid records at that level weren't kept all that well. I have no information on appearances for the following two seasons but assume he would have been a regular member of the team which won the 'C' Division North & East title in 1953-54.

That earned promotion and in 1954-55 he made 27 appearances for the Glebe Park side - twenty in the 'B' Division, six in the League Cup and one in the Scottish Cup.

He was freed at the end of the season and there is no record of him playing league football in 1955-56 but he returned to league action with Berwick Rangers in October 1956 making thirteen league appearances and two in the Scottish Cup before leaving senior football at the end of 1956-57.

All told he made 53 first class appearances in the senior ranks.

Hope this helps and your father has a great time on his birthday.
Scottish
Site Admin

Return to SFAQS