Called up but not capped

Scottish Football Answers to Questions

Called up but not capped

Postby Gorgiewave » Fri May 04, 2012 11:41 am

Lads (and lassies?),

See Scottish fitba'. See nearly men.

I copy and paste from jamboskickback:

http://www.hmfckickback.co.uk/index.php ... ot-capped/

I dare say this is the perfect spot to find the answer.

Has there always been a "squad"? Did they take 14 or however many players to Wembley, Cardiff, Belfast, etc., to decide on form, fitness and tactics later?
Last edited by Gorgiewave on Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
"He took about half an hour to do it, but he did it!"
Gorgiewave

Re: Called up but not capped

Postby ScottishFA » Fri May 04, 2012 12:04 pm

There have always been 'reserves in attendance', right back to 1872. On that occasion, the Scotland team was named the week before the game, but William Keay and Alexander Broadfoot were listed as reserves; neither was ever capped, although Keay did at least get to referee the international.

In more recent times, of course, managers tend to select a squad of around 23-25 players for every international, so inevitably there are numerous squad players who never quite get their cap.
ScottishFA

Postby HibeeJibee » Fri May 04, 2012 12:33 pm

Recent example is Kevin Harper: called-up infrequently over many years and always in line to be the "first black international since 18xyz", but never played.
HibeeJibee

Postby Skyline Drifter » Fri May 04, 2012 12:51 pm

An even more recent example is Matt Gilks who has been the acknowledged third choice keeper since first appearing in squads in August 2010 but remains uncapped despite spending much of that time ostensibly as second choice to McGregor with Gordon out injured. Gilks has had a serious injury himself in that time period but has still been in a lot of squads without actually getting capped.
Skyline Drifter

Postby Rob R » Fri May 04, 2012 11:23 pm

John McHugh the Clyde Half Back in the 1960s picked for Glasgow Select X1s in the Glasgow Charity Cup and in the Scotland squad for the games against Portugal & Brazil in 1966. He was a relieving teacher at my School around then, a very modest gentleman.
Rob R

Postby Snuff » Fri May 04, 2012 11:25 pm

[b][/bScottish goalkeepers tend to be unlucky, so the still uncapped Gilks is following in a noble line. Perhaps the unluckiest was Rangers' George Niven, who I believe was selected seven times for Scotland, but never actually got onto the park. His unluckiest non-appearance was perhaps for the England game at Hampden in 1960, when he was pulled out on the Friday and big Frank Haffey got his first cap. I think Niven was again called up, but was again injured the following year, after Lawrie Leslie got injured; again Haffey got the gig and we all know what happened that day.

My cousin, the late Allan Ross of Carlisle was called into one Scotland squad, for a friendly against Republic of Eire, on a Sunday in Dublin, as third goalkeeper. Jim Herriot started, but was injured and replaced by Ernie McGarr - Allan never even made it onto the bench and was never called up again.

Campbell Money, had one or two B caps, once was called-up at short notice for an away game in Saudi Arabia, where he sat on the bench, with Henry Smith starting - but Dibble never got on.

Ian Turner is another who has been in a few squads with no caps to show for it, while Jimmy Brown, while with Hearts, went on the Scotland Tour to North America in 1949 as a late call-up for Jimmy Cowan, but never got capped - the closest he came was as unused back-up for one international (Czechoslovakia I think) in his short spell with St Mirren.

Big Malcolm Finlayson, during his Wolves days, was considered one of the top goalkeepers in England, but never capped. Bert Slater went on the end of season continental tour in 1959, played in the non-cap game against Jutland, but never won a full cap.

Then there was the 1967 World Tour, alluded to above. Israel, Australia New Zealand and Canada, against all of whom Scotland played on that tour, all consider the games to have been full internationals - not the SFA. I have in the past suggested to Hampden, that by declaring these games official, they can get round the fact that Alex Ferguson, the top-scorer on the tour, never won a full cap and belatedly cap him.]
Snuff
Snuff

Postby Scottish » Sat May 05, 2012 11:37 am

IIRC Killie's Brian Rodman was called up so late into the squad for the Wembley debacle in 1975 that he didn't feature in the squad pic in the programme.
Scottish
Site Admin

Postby Snuff » Sat May 05, 2012 12:22 pm

David - anent Brian Rodman's late 1975 call-up; this must rate, alongside Lawrie Leslie's 1961 drop-out, as the ultimate dodged bullet.

Last year, when I wrote a feature on Leslie missing that game - because of a cut eye sustained on club duty with West Ham - his wife assured me: "Even with both eyes shut, there's no way my Lawrie would have let-in nine goals."
Snuff
Snuff

Postby Scottish » Sat May 05, 2012 12:42 pm

Snuff wrote:David - anent Brian Rodman's late 1975 call-up; this must rate, alongside Lawrie Leslie's 1961 drop-out, as the ultimate dodged bullet

That and Gordon McQueen and Derek Johnstone never getting near a game in Argentina.
Scottish
Site Admin

Postby cowdenbeather » Mon May 07, 2012 1:40 pm

Johnny Coyle of Clyde - went to Sweden in the 1958 World Cup squad
cowdenbeather

Postby Steve Bell » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:54 am

Sheffield United goalkeeper Tom McAlister was a substitute for Scotland against England at Wembley, on 19th May 1973.
Steve Bell

Postby Gordon Baird » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:14 pm

Jimmy Broon was only called up for that match because of injuries but he used to laugh about a photo of the squad in one of the newspapers which had the value of all the players printed above their heads. From Law's six-figure sum it worked its way down through St. John, Whyte & Baxter in the tens of thousands, continued past Brand, Hamilton & Caldow and finally reached Jimmy, who was valued in the low hundreds.
Gordon Baird

Postby Steve Bell » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:50 pm

Another goalkeeper, John Ogston of Aberdeen, was in the Scotland squad for three World Cup qualifying matches in May 1961. These were home and away ties with Eire (3rd and 7th) and away to Czechoslovakia (14th).

Also in the pool for the Bratislava match were Bobby Kennedy of Kilmarnock and Davie McParland of Partick Thistle.

Incidentally the PartickThistleHistory.WetPaint.Com website gives the spelling of his surname as McPharland.
Steve Bell

Postby Snuff » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:04 pm

Steve Bell - I am glad you posted about "Tubby" Ogston; I have long wondered who was Lawrie Leslie's potential back-up for those games, given Bill Brown wasn't being released by Spurs and Frank Haffey had been cast into the outer darkness after Wembley.

The match to which Gordon Baird refers in the post above was the return game with the Czechs at Hampden - Denis Law's Match.

Other good additions to the "called-up but never capped" list have to be the uncapped guys who were on stand-by for the 1954 World Cup debacle. After Bobby Johnstone was injured and George Hamilton replaced him in the final 13 who travelled to Switzerland, eight guys were left at home: Jock Anderson of Leicester City, Alex Wilson of Portsmouth, Davie Mathers of Partick Thistle, Ian Binning of Queen of the South, Bobby Combe of Hibs, Ian McMIllan of Airdrie, Jackie Henderson of Portsmouth and Ernie Copland of Raith Rovers.

Anderson, Wilson and Mathers were capped in the final warm-up game, in Finland; Henderson, Combe and McMillan won seven, three and six caps respectively, but Binning and Copland were never capped - at least the uncapped Johnny Coyle made it as far as Sweden four years later.
Snuff
Snuff

Postby Scottish » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:44 pm

'Tubby' Ogston had a busy representative season in 1960-61 even if he didn't earn a full cap (and in fact never did). He played for the U-23 team that beat England 1-0 at Ayresome Park with Denis Law scoring the only goal past Gordon Banks. He played AGAINST the U-23s (Frank Haffey was their keeper) for the Army - alongside Jim Baxter, Alex 'The Golden Vision' Young and Johnny 'Budgie' Byrne - at Fir Park, a match the U-23s won 3-2. He was in goal for the Scottish League side beaten 4-1 by Scotland (keeper Lawrie Leslie) at Celtic Park. And he played again for U-23s against the Second Division at Brockville, a game the U-23s won 10-2.
Scottish
Site Admin

Next

Return to SFAQS