John Hughes of the SFA

Scottish Football Answers to Questions
Boris57

Re: John Hughes of the SFA

Post by Boris57 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:42 am

scottish wrote:
Boris57 wrote: In the press of the time he was described as "honorary manager" & "acting unpaid manager" & his first task was to whittle a list of 50 possibles down to a squad of 13 for the Cup tie.

He was effectively the club's manager for the 4 matches played in January 1954, the club's only games that season - 3 friendlies in the Cup tie build-up against Edinburgh City, Dunfermline Athletic 'A' & Berwick Rangers & then the Cup tie itself.
Do you have a link to that? I'd love to include him in the next edition of 'GAFFERS.' I've searched around the time of the cup tie in The Herald, Evening Times and Bulletin but can't find anything, other than references to the game and the line-up.
I've checked my research notes & I can tie the "honorary manager" down to an aricle in the Edinburgh Evening News of 18/1/54. I'm not quite sure where I found the "acting unpaid manager" quote other than to say as my notes have the phrase in quotation marks I've lifted it directly from a newspaper. My research notes suggest that Hughes became acting manager following a meeting with Leith Athletic secretary James Mackenzie & another director, W.Young, in the Carlton Hotel in Edinburgh on 16/12/53 when the initial task was to whittle down the list of 50 potential players that Hughes had compiled.

bluedragon

Post by bluedragon » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:47 am

Here is a link to the report of the funeral in the Evening Times

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=2 ... page&hl=en

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:50 pm

Boris57 wrote:
I've checked my research notes & I can tie the "honorary manager" down to an aricle in the Edinburgh Evening News of 18/1/54. I'm not quite sure where I found the "acting unpaid manager" quote other than to say as my notes have the phrase in quotation marks I've lifted it directly from a newspaper. My research notes suggest that Hughes became acting manager following a meeting with Leith Athletic secretary James Mackenzie & another director, W.Young, in the Carlton Hotel in Edinburgh on 16/12/53 when the initial task was to whittle down the list of 50 potential players that Hughes had compiled.
Thanks for that. Gives me some dates to work on.