Joseph McQue

Scottish Football Answers to Questions

Joseph McQue

Postby John Meffen » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:51 pm

Kjell, you seem to have noted him a bit, I would just like to know how much of Joe McQue's career I have got wrong, I got the Third Lanark bit from a Celtic book, but it never mentioned Falkirk or Campsie, not sure if I am mixing up two different people.

Known Career – Campsie [1891/92], East Stirlingshire [1891/92] [guest], Celtic, Liverpool [1892/93-1897/98], Falkirk [1898/99], Third Lanark
John Meffen

Re: Joseph McQue

Postby kjell » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:12 am

Hello,

We have two different McQue in the football world in the 1890s. One with Liverpool as his main club, and the other with Third Lanark as main club. Strangely both played the same centre half position. The Liverpool one was Joseph Patrick McQue, while I believe the Third Lanark one was George McCue.

Signs for Liverpool (http://kjellhanssen.com/1892/08/29/a-centre-half-found/)
Season preview, McQue from Campsie with a Stirlingshire Cup (http://kjellhanssen.com/1892/08/29/the- ... ad-189293/)
McQue with Falkirk (http://kjellhanssen.com/1898/09/24/ex-l ... r-falkirk/)

I also have this article, not yet published on my website:
Monday, April 6 – 1896
Joe McQue’s testimonial match vs Burnley at Anfield, won 4-3
Joe McQue might almost be called a local, for beyond two or three games with the Celtic reserves, he practically came straight from his birthplace, Campsie, a raw recruit, but who now, by the exercise of his great ability, has the right to be counted as one of the best centre halves in the country.

I am uncertain if he ever played for a Campsie FC. He seems to have been born there, or lived there. Celtic Reserves are mentioned. I was not aware of East Stirlingshire. Could he have won the Stirlingshire Cup with them?

Kjell
kjell

Postby John Meffen » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:18 pm

Stir Cup Final 13th Feb 1892

Campsie 4 Falkirk 1 Forthbank Pk, Stirling.

McQue at CH

plus from the Falkirk Herald - 3rd Sep 1892

"Joseph McQue, the crack centre half-back of the Campsie club, has just departed for Liverpool, to fill a place in the new Caledonian club. £35 down, and £2 a week fetched Joe."

Just had a wee look, he only played one match for ESFC, v Airdrieonians (A) Scottish Alliance, 9th Apr 1892.
John Meffen

Postby kjell » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:16 pm

Hello,

That is super info. Thanks for the update!

Kjell
kjell

Postby John Meffen » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:04 pm

Oops, wee mistake, he played two matches for ESFC.

Campsie were a proper club, but they went through fallow periods of playing very few games. For example it was stated in the Falkirk Herald towards the end of the season that they had only played four games since winning the Stirlingshire Cup, it is perhaps during this time that he played with Celtic Reserves.

I have only three Celtic Reserves line-ups from that season, and he is in none of them, so maybe it was the season before, because he seems to appear in the Campsie team from out of nowhere.
John Meffen

Return to SFAQS