Willie Miller

Scottish Football Answers to Questions
Gorgiewave

Willie Miller

Post by Gorgiewave » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:21 pm

Do any of you lads know the exact date (not just the year) on which Willie Miller signed for Aberdeen?
I'm trying to find out if he and Martin Buchan were simultaneously signed at Aberdeen (Buchan left on 29 February 1972).

Thanks for any help.
"He took about half an hour to do it, but he did it!"

bluedragon

Re: Willie Miller

Post by bluedragon » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:27 pm

Gorgiewave wrote:Do any of you lads know the exact date (not just the year) on which Willie Miller signed for Aberdeen?
I'm trying to find out if he and Martin Buchan were simultaneously signed at Aberdeen (Buchan left on 29 February 1972).

Thanks for any help.
Robert Hosie's list on the Scottish Football Historical Archive say 5th June 1971 - one of six players to sign for senior clubs from Eastercraigs Youths on the same day.

Gorgiewave

Post by Gorgiewave » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:02 pm

Thanks, bluedragon. wikipedia has it as 1972, but who can ever tell with that?

prorege

Post by prorege » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:04 pm

I think the dates given in that source relate to the dates the transfers were listed in the Weekly News. The actual signing would have been before then.

Gorgiewave

Post by Gorgiewave » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:24 pm

prorege wrote:I think the dates given in that source relate to the dates the transfers were listed in the Weekly News. The actual signing would have been before then.
I imagine the source you're referring to is the one bluedragon mentioned? Since wikipedia will come from whichever source the author of the article used (or none).

bluedragon

Post by bluedragon » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:24 pm

Gorgiewave wrote:
prorege wrote:I think the dates given in that source relate to the dates the transfers were listed in the Weekly News. The actual signing would have been before then.
I imagine the source you're referring to is the one bluedragon mentioned? Since wikipedia will come from whichever source the author of the article used (or none).
The year-by-year lists on the Scottish Football Historical Archive list all transfers on a particular day. I now see the dates are all seven days apart - I never saw that before! - and so explains prorege's comment that the source of the data on the list was the Weekly News.

John Litster's disk also gives his signing date as 5th June 1971. There is then a date of 21st August 1971 when he went to Peterhead and then back to Aberdeen on 10th July 1972. I assume that he was loaned out as a 16 year old for some Highland League experience.

prorege

Post by prorege » Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:41 am

I assume that he was loaned out as a 16 year old for some Highland League experience.
He was a centre forward in those days and scored around 20 goals for Peterhead during his season on loan to them.

Aberdeen frequently loaned players out to the Highland League or the North Juniors - Alex McLeish spent a season in the green and white hoops of Lewis United.

jimmygrumble

Post by jimmygrumble » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:55 am

From Willie Miller's autobiography "The Miller's Tale", it does not look like Miller and Buchan ever played in the same side. Miller made a couple of substitute appearances for Aberdeen reserves at the start of 71-72 (pre-season friendly v. Keith and Reserve League Cup tie v. Clyde) before joining Peterhead on loan.

As Prorege says Miller was a centre-forward in those days and scored 23 goals for Peterhead in 71-72 (2nd top scorer in the Highland League).

Miller played in defence for the first time on 16 December 1972 in an Aberdeen reserve match against Rangers after Ian Hair took ill before the game. The pre-match advice Miller received from the late Teddy Scott was "mark tight and try to win the ball early. Don't try anything too fancy, but if you have the chance, try to use the ball to advantage." Aberdeen won 2-0 and Miller kept the No 5 shirt in the reserves for the rest of the season.
only sing when i'm fishing

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:33 am

Pretty much impossible for them to have signed simultaneously as Miller would have been 14-15 when Buchan skippered the Dons to Scottish Cup victory in 1970.

Gorgiewave

Post by Gorgiewave » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:37 am

scottish wrote:Pretty much impossible for them to have signed simultaneously as Miller would have been 14-15 when Buchan skippered the Dons to Scottish Cup victory in 1970.
Yes, but they were both registered players (that's what I meant by signed, not the discrete action of signing a contract) at Aberdeen from 5 June 1971 to 29 February 1972 even if they didn't play together and Miller was on loan.

The question arose on jamboskickback, regarding three consecutive Scottish Cup winning captains overlapping as registered players of a club except the gruesomes. Locke/Fulton (Hearts, 1998) both overlapped with Pressley (2006), who in turned overlapped with Zaliukas (2012).

Buchan (1970) overlapped with Miller (1982,1983, 1984, 1986), who in turned overlapped with McLeish (1990).

12august1893 (on kickback) also finds that Hearts previously had four consecutive overlapping Scottish Cup winning captains:

Hearts have 4 in a row the Captain playing in the following final

Hearts captained by Isaac Begbie in 1891

Captain George Hogg played alongside Isaac Begbie in the 1896 Final

Captain Bobby Walker played alongside George Hogg in the 1901 Final

Captain Charlie Thomson played alongside Bobby Walker in the 1906 Final

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:33 pm

Gorgiewave wrote:
Yes, but they were both registered players (that's what I meant by signed, not the discrete action of signing a contract) at Aberdeen from 5 June 1971 to 29 February 1972 even if they didn't play together and Miller was on loan.
You've been in Spain too long. Simultaneously in my dictionary means "at the same time." Now, if you'd said on the books together or some such then there would have been no confusion.

The situation at Aberdeen is a bit like that at Kilmarnock when Scottish football's post-war record goalscorer and the SPL's record goalscorer were not only on the books together, they both played in the same game but never played alongside each other (there's a good quiz question) with Ally McCoist being withdrawn in the game against Celtic on May 20th 2001 before Kris Boyd came on as a sub (not for McCoist).

IIRC Killie's win that day took them into Europe and kept the Jambos out.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:06 pm

Gorgiewave wrote: The question arose on jamboskickback, regarding three consecutive Scottish Cup winning captains overlapping as registered players of a club except the gruesomes. Locke/Fulton (Hearts, 1998) both overlapped with Pressley (2006), who in turned overlapped with Zaliukas (2012).
I did the same exercise once with Open championship golfers and established a line from the start to the present day via just four players. 'Old' Tom Morris,' player in the initial tournament in 1860 and four times champion made his last appearance in 1896, two years after the debut of James Braid who went on to win five times.

In turn his last appearance was in 1938, more than a decade after the first appearance of three times winner Henry Cotton whose last appearance was in 1977, three years after the debut of Sandy Lyle who won in 1985 and was still competing this year. That's 153 years in A-D.

You could even do it in an all-Scottish context as John Panton's first appearance was a year before Braid's last (though they never played in the same year) and his last was Lyle's first, in 1974.

Probably other ways of making the connection and in other sports too.