Scottish Footballers Roll of Honour

Scottish Football Answers to Questions

Scottish Footballers Roll of Honour

Postby Alan Brown » Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:08 pm

There are now 104 men on my list of players known to have died during WW1. But I am sure there are many more!
If any of you guys could find the time to have a look at my blog at: http://scottishfootballhistory.wordpress.com
and look at the list of players then that would be great. Any updates, additions, comments etc. would be most welcome.

Alan
Alan Brown

Re: Scottish Footballers Roll of Honour

Postby ScottishFA » Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:42 pm

Well done for taking this on, it's a long overdue project even though some clubs have done comprehensive studies of their military players. There are quite a few names in the list I wasn't aware of.

One who should be taken out is David Wilson, the internationalist. According to Doug Lamming, he was killed in action on 28 December 1916 while serving with the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders, but in the course of my research into early Scotland caps I noticed that this man was only 19 years old - far too young for someone capped in 1900. By tracking him through his home address, I found that David Wilson was a Glasgow solicitor, born in 1880 and died in 1926 (from a heart attack). He did serve in WW1 with the Seaforth Highlanders, but was unscathed.

A few suggestions for inclusion come from a supplement to The Field magazine in 1919 called 'The Roll Call of Sport in the War'. It lists every known sportsman who was killed in the conflict, sport by sport. Unfortunately under 'Football' it covers both codes, and 95 per cent of the players were rugby men, but there are a few footballers with Scottish connections. I've tried to verify the names with patchy success, but hopefully these will give some leads:

Michael Corbett, Heart of Midlothian; died Nov 1918, Sergeant in Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders [a player of this name played for Hearts in 1904/05]

P Hogan, Hibernian; died October 1916, Sergeant in Royal Scots [no player matches]

Richard McFadden, Clapton Orient; died November 1916, Company Sergeant Major [born Cambuslang, there is a wikipedia page about him]

Alex MacLean, Queen's Park; died October 1917, Private in 3rd Scottish Rifles [can't find details, but there was a player of this name at QP around 1900-02]

Peter Miller, East Stirlingshire; died 31 January 1919, Private in Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders [didn't play any league matches, but he is in John Litster's list and was a Scotland Schoolboy International in 1912]

David C Philip, Hearts, Leith and Raith Rovers; died January 1917, Lieutenant in Royal Scots [certainly the player was with these clubs, but I can't find a record of his death, which I would have expected to be fairly high profile]

RS Rutherford, Hearts, Leith and Hamilton; died July 1918, Sergeant in Scottish Rifles [can't find any player who matches]

Archie Wilson, Tottenham and Middlesbrough; died July 1916, Private in London Scottish [he was born in Newmilns; played ten matches for Spurs]

Hope that helps. Perhaps other club historians can assist.
ScottishFA

Postby bluedragon » Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:01 pm

The Evening Telegraph of 30 May 1919 gives the following players and former players from St Johnstone who made the supreme sacrifice and that are not already on your list:

John Cameron
W MacPherson
David McWalter

The article also lists a “Bert Simpson” but I think that is a typo for “Bert Samson” who is on your list.
bluedragon

Postby Alan Brown » Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:41 am

Thanks for the replies. I have added Michael Corbett, Richard McFadden and Archie Wilson from Andy's list and the three St Johnstone players mentioned by BlueDragon. Thanks for that. Robert Dalrymple has been removed after further research clarifies that he died in 1970. The Evening Telegraph had him down as a WW1 casualty! There is still a lot of confusion surrounding the list of Queen's Park players, as the memorial plaque at Hampden includes all "club members" and not just players that died. I have tried to "match" the list as best I could but further research is required on that one.

Alan
Alan Brown

Postby kjell » Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:01 pm

Hello,

I have found a James Hamilton who played for Dundee 1913-14 being killed in action for the 2nd Battalion Seaforth in France in 1915. His last club was Broxburn.

Source: Edinburgh Evening News, 17 May - 1915, page 3, 6th coloumn, second from top.

Regards,

Kjell
kjell

Postby ScottishFA » Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:06 pm

From the Scotsman

12 June 1915: Private Allan Lawrie, 2nd Cameron Highlanders, has been killed in action in Flanders. Intimation received by his mother, 312 Holburn Street, Aberdeen. ...a well-known Aberdeen footballer. [according to Litster, played one league match in 1906/07]

13 July 1915: Private William Sharp, of the Scots Guards, is unofficially reported killed. Private Sharp was a well known local footballer, who played inside right for Johnstone, and was a junior internationalist. [played for Vale of Leven in SFL]

28 October 1915: Gordon Hossack, 9th Black Watch, posted missing since 25 September, is now reported killed. Deceased, whose widow resides in Bo'ness, was a well known footballer. He was a native of Aberdeen. [played for St Bernards]

And I realise now that the P. Hogan I noted earlier was Patrick Hagan of Hibs.
ScottishFA

Postby bluedragon » Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:35 pm

Some more.

Private Walter Fowler reported killed in action 23 April 1917 played for Brechin City for one season. There is a player of that name in John Litster's disk.

In the Evening Telegraph dated 14 July 1915 it says the William Sharp (mentioned earlier) was “at one time a playing member of Clyde FC”. There are two "William Sharps" in John Litster's disk with Vale of Leven, Johnstone and Clyde connections. The only Junior International from that time with the name "Sharp" was James Sharp first of Broxburn and then of Hearts.
bluedragon

Postby Alan Brown » Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:54 pm

I have added all the mentioned players to the list which is now sitting at 115. I have removed Ronald Gilchrist Brebner from the list as he did not die due to war injuries, his death was due to an accident where he drowned in the river Tees. The Sharp that I have details of is William M.Sharp of Clyde, Johnstone, St Mirren.

Many thanks for all your efforts in adding to the list so far.

Alan
Alan Brown

Postby bluedragon » Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:02 pm

I found this Great War Forum (see link) that is tackling the same subject and there are many mentions of Scottish players. I started to take notes but there were sadly too many.

William Urquhart SUTHERLAND is thought to be the first footballer to die in the Great War on 26th August 1914. He was a Scottish career soldier who was with the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders stationed in England and played for Southend, Plymouth and Chatham,

There are three more Brechin City players:

Frank Forbes
Robert Jaffray (or Jeffrey)
Robert Strachan

Some of the Scots mentioned went from Junior football direct to English league football and so may be outside the scope of your list if it is only players who played in the Scottish League.

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forum ... topic=5030
bluedragon

Postby leicester » Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:37 pm

I have removed Ronald Gilchrist Brebner from the list as he did not die due to war injuries, his death was due to an accident where he drowned in the river Tees.

Sorry to have to be pedantic, Ron Brebner's death occurred in Chiswick:
(extract from profile in "Of Fossils & Foxes" follows):
... Having played in all but two of Fosse’s first twenty fixtures in 1913/14 (and having picked up his last two caps on the dates of his absences), he was stretchered off the field at Lincoln after a jarring collision with Imps forward George Barrell. Initially, it was believed to be a simple rib injury, but internal complications ensued, and Ron was soon confined to nursing homes in Newcastle and then Chiswick, where his brother was Medical Officer of Health; never recovering fully before his death ten months later. .....

PT
leicester

Postby ScottishFA » Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:18 pm

Yes, it was actually RG Brebner's father, David, who drowned in the Tees.

Obscure fact: RG, despite being an England amateur cap, had an affinity for Scotland and was Assistant Secretary of the Darlington Burns Association (ie Robert Burns).
ScottishFA

Postby Alan Brown » Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:12 pm

Sorry that was my error, got my wires crossed with the Brebner's.
Alan Brown

Postby Gordon Baird » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:10 pm

Alan, are you looking for Scottish League players alone or those who played in others such as the Northern or Central Leagues?
Gordon Baird

Postby Alan Brown » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:52 pm

Gordon, my original plan was just to keep it simple and stick to players that made at least one appearance in the Scottish League (both divisions) but would welcome any details of others that you may have.

Alan
Alan Brown

Postby Gordon Baird » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:43 pm

Okay. I've not checked these players on Litster's disc, I'm just going by what was reported in the newspaper at the time, though one or two definitely played in the SFL.

John Frail - Private, 1st Black Watch, killed in action 9 May 1915. Played for Lochgelly United, Hibs (a loan spell I think), Dunfermline, Lochgelly again and St. Bernard's. Resided at Inglis Street, Dunfermline and previously worked as a miner in Lumphinnans.

George Millar - Lance-Corporal, 3rd Black Watch, killed in action 28 October 1914 at Ypres. Played for Lochgelly United.

David Halliday - Lance-Corporal, Royal Scots, died 12 April 1917. Played for Lochgelly United and reportedly had a few games for Dunfermline but I can't confirm this. Resided in Crossgates.

James Gray - Sergeant, Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders, killed in action 24 April 1917. Made two league appearances for Dunfermline in 1912/13. He also topped Carnegie Cricket Club's batting averages for three straight seasons and was a good gymnast. In May 1914 he was the all-round champion at the Carnegie Trust's annual sports day. Resided at Elgin Terrace, Dunfermline.

William Strang - Lance-Corporal, Canadian Infantry (31st Alberta Battalion), died of wounds 7 October 1916. Played for Dunfermline before joining Celtic in 1903. His family emigrated to Canada in 1906 where he played for the Calgary Caledonians. His younger brother Norman, who also played for the Callies, enlisted in the 50th Calgary Battalion and was killed in June 1917.

Hope this is of some help.
Gordon Baird

Next

Return to SFAQS