Charles Bell

Scottish Football Answers to Questions
Scottish
Site Admin

Charles Bell

Post by Scottish » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:49 am

I've had a request for information on the above named as follows:

"Did Charles Bell sign for Glasgow Rangers 1911/12? Charles was born in Dumfries 1894. The Scottish football museum say they have no professional or amateur registration documents for Bell at Glasgow Rangers and therefore he was never there. However I have seen several references saying he was there,and in an interview with a Brazilian newspaper Charles said he was a professional at Glasgow Rangers?"

Spireite historian

Re: Charles Bell

Post by Spireite historian » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:52 pm

I'm not sure it can be taken as gospel, but the Hull Daily Mail of December 21st 1935 offers this:

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:56 am

The Hull Daily Mail seems to refer to the same guy, given the Arsenal and Barrow connections

ENFA have a Charles Oliver Bell, born Dumfries 18/5/1894 which fits perfectly with the info given by the questioner. However they have his playing details as follows:
1910 Dumfries Wanderers
1911 Douglas Wanderers
1912 Carlisle City

These were all non-league clubs

He was next with Woolwich Arsenal in 1913-14 (then in the Second Division) He made his debut on Dec 27th 1913 away to Leicester Fosse (why did they change a magnificent name like that to "City?") and scored both goals in a 2-1 victory. Curiously he not only never played for Arsenal again, that was his one and only appearance in the league. He then moved to Chesterfield Town (NL) in 1914 and there's no further mention till 1919 (possibly because of WW1?) when he signed for Barrow (NL). He joined QPR in 1921, then in the Third Division (South) but didn't play for them either.

There's no record of home on ENFA after that but he'd only be just turning 28 at the end of 1921-22 season.

Still, a record of two goals per game isn't to be sneezed at.

jeroen

Post by jeroen » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:41 am

Bell signed for Arsenal from Carlisle City on 2-9-1913. According to the Portsmouth Evening News 3-9-1913 he played for Carlisle City for two seasons. Charles Bell already worked as a trainer for Sporting Clube de Portugal in 1919-1922, probably not permanently, but brief periods only, because this overlaps his playing career in England.

mackem50

Post by mackem50 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:02 pm

Hi,thanks for the replies. It has taken me about a year of research to find out the true facts of Charles Bells career. I have it all except for the 3 years he played in Scotland,1909/1912. He played in his home town of Dumfries ,I don't know which team ,but it wasn't Dumfries Wanderers they were finished before Charles was born.1912/13 he played in the N.E. league for Carlisle UNITED. There is an awful lot of wrong / misleading information out there about Charles,ranging from his name,place of birth / death to where he played and managed. I live in Portugal,it is widely reported he was Sporting Lisbons first coach and was there for 2 spells,1919/22 and 1928/30. He is in all the reference books over here as being one of their longest serving managers. He was actually here for a matter of months in 1928, even the club itself didn't know that. This is typical of what I found researching Charles,so the Glasgow Rangers thing might be totally false,he could have played in Dumfries for the entire 3 years and gone to Carlisle from there.