Ian McColl

Scottish Football Answers to Questions
mackem50

Ian McColl

Post by mackem50 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:16 pm

Ian McColl became Sunderland AFC manager in the summer of 1965. In the summer of 1966 he brought John Mortimore to Roker Park as his number two. Ian had been Scotland manager for 5 years, John is English,had just retired as a player with QPR ,before that he played for Chelsea.. I cannot see any connection,they seem strange bedfellows,am I missing the obvious somewhere?

Scottish
Site Admin

Re: Ian McColl

Post by Scottish » Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:55 pm

Just a guess but perhaps a recommendation from Tommy Docherty? Docherty and McColl were Scotland team-mates (at least I think they played together) and Docherty was in charge of Chelse where Mortimore spent the bulk of his career. He was also a registered player when he signed though never making a first team appearance.

mackem50

Post by mackem50 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:18 pm

Thanks for the reply, that sounds like the answer! I cant think of any other explanation.

bluedragon

Post by bluedragon » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:06 am

I had a look through a few books for some clues. The only thing I could find was that Tommy Docherty clearly thought highly of John Mortimore when he was at Chelsea. In his autobiography he picks out John as one of three "terrific, experienced pros around which I was able to blend the kids...." Later on he says "John Mortimore, a dependable, highly professional centre-half". Perhaps he saw John as future coaching material and then that ties in with Scottish's theory?

mackem50

Post by mackem50 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:01 pm

Hi Scottish and Blue Dragon. I am in touch with John Mortimore,you are both right,he got the SAFC job through Tommy Doc,
Thanks