C Division Supplementary League, 1948 & 1949

Scottish Football Answers to Questions
BMCCOLL

C Division Supplementary League, 1948 & 1949

Post by BMCCOLL » Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:21 pm

Was there a final played between the winners of this competition? I ask because I've seen a press cutting from May 1949 which combined all the clubs into one table, with Leith sitting at the top. It would seem daft not playing a competition until its logical conclusion.
http://sfha.org.uk/

ScottishFA

Re: C Division Supplementary League, 1948 & 1949

Post by ScottishFA » Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:55 pm

No, there wasn't. In 1948 Forfar Athletic wanted to set up a decider against East Fife, but nothing came of it. And in 1949 the respective winners were Brechin City and Leith Athletic, but that was that.

It appears the Supplementary Leagues were just a means of filling in blank dates in the latter half of the season.

BMCCOLL

Post by BMCCOLL » Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:14 pm

Thanks, Andy. I've always assumed there were no play-offs, and then I saw the combined 1949 table...
http://sfha.org.uk/

HibeeJibee

Post by HibeeJibee » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:57 pm

They did a similar thing in domestic rugby union last season after the SRU pulled the Scottish clubs out of the British & Irish Cup. Having reduced the Premiership 1 down to 18 games from 22... initially by introducing 3 'splits' into the top 2 divisions after 1 round of matches/latterly by reducing the size of the division from 12 clubs to 10... they were left in the uncomfortable position of serving the clubs with insufficient matches. When they were in a similar position in 2006-07 they played a Super Cup with 2 groups of 5 > Final; last season they played a Premiership Development Competition with 2 groups of 5 but no Final.

In both sports I'm surprised any fans bothered going. They were quite literally being provided a competitive game for which from the very start of the competition there was no competitive outcome - nothing to win, or lose.

Snuff

Post by Snuff » Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:19 pm

HibeeJibee:

I hate to be pedantic, but, you were not quite correct in your tale of what happened in Scottish Rugby last season.

Certainly, fixtures were issued for the "Premiership Development Competition", which was supposed to fill-in some blank weeks for the clubs playing at the highest level of domestic club rugby. However, no fixtures were ever played in this competition, since the clubs used most of the suggested dates to play postponed matches.

The Hampden "blazers" have their faults, but, they are not as unsupportive of domestic football as their Murrayfield counterparts are of domestic rugby. The guys with the big titles and big salaries at Murrayfield pay little or no notice to the club game, and it shows.

The SRU has again for the coming season, failed to enter any Scottish clubs into the British & Irish Cup. There was a suggestion that there would be an Italian-Scottish Cup running, but, if this is the case, the SRU is taking their time about announcing it. I am not saying it will not happen, but, if it does, it will be due to start in October, which doesn't leave much time.

The SRU pays a dumb Australian an awful lot of money to be Director of Rugby - he couldn't direct traffic after an accident. Compared to him, Regan and Doncaster are geniuses.
Snuff