Leith Athleic line up: May 27, 1899 (Rosebery Charity Cup)

Scottish Football Answers to Questions
kjell

Leith Athleic line up: May 27, 1899 (Rosebery Charity Cup)

Post by kjell » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:59 pm

Hello,

Does anyone know the line up for Leith Athletic in the 1899 Rosebery Charity Cup Final vs. Hearts?

Through match reports I have only managed to gather seven names: Bell, Boyd, Laidlow, Dodds, Oswald, Walker, Gardner.

Thanks in advance for any help provided,

Kjell

bluedragon

Re: Leith Athleic line up: May 27, 1899 (Rosebery Charity Cu

Post by bluedragon » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:12 am

kjell wrote:Hello,

Does anyone know the line up for Leith Athletic in the 1899 Rosebery Charity Cup Final vs. Hearts?

Through match reports I have only managed to gather seven names: Bell, Boyd, Laidlow, Dodds, Oswald, Walker, Gardner.

Thanks in advance for any help provided,

Kjell
I found the selected Leith Athletic team in the Edinburgh Evening News of Friday 26 May 1899.

Oswald; White and Boyd; Armstrong, Anderson and Lowe; Gardener, Walker, Laidlaw, Bell and Fotheringham.

John Walker (later of Hearts) scored the only goal in the game for Leith.

This and some other sources say that the match was played at Logie Green in Edinburgh. However, the excellent London Hearts website says that the game was played at Bank Park (today called Beechwood Park). This was Leith Athletic’s ground for a short time and the site of the ground is close to today’s Easter Road Stadium. The Hearts Museum has a great exhibit of a map of grounds in the city where Hearts have played and “27 May 1899” is given as the date of Hearts last game at this ground. Someone else might be able to confirm.

Boris57

Post by Boris57 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:49 pm

The game was definitely played at Logie Green (per advert in Friday night's Evening News which refers to "Logie Green, Canonmills"). It KO'd at 4pm with an Edinburgh v Leith schoolboys match on first at 3pm. I have it as a crowd of 5,000 (Gate £140). Walker scored the only goal early in the second half from a "scrimmage". All Hearts in latter stages but Leith held out. Line-up I have is Oswald, White, Boyd, Armstrong, Anderson, Lowe, Gardner, Walker, Laidlaw, Bell, Dodds. No note of where I obtained line-up but probably from a local Leith paper of the time (probably Leith Burghs Pilot which was produced weekly).

Hope that helps.

Incidentally Bank Park & Beechwood Park were not the same ground albeit that both were wityhin the same footprint of land that now forms the Leith Academy playing fields. Bank Park ran East to West & was entered via a pathway which ran along the side of the Eastern Cemetery. Beechwood Park ran north to south & was entered via gates/turnstiles just off Lochend Road. They were admittedly very close to each other with the two footprints of land probably no more than 50 yards apart. I have visited he excellent Hearts Museum & thought the map you referred to with all the Edinburgh grounds Hearts have played on was a great idea. I did point out the Bank/Beechwood anomoly to the lads there & sent them evidence by way of Ordnance Survey/City Plan maps of the time.

Boris57

Post by Boris57 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:55 pm

Meant to add that the scorer wasn't John Walker - he went to Hearts in 1898 (later with Lincoln City). It was Wullie Walker who had two spells at Leith on either side of playing for Liverpool. Tragically he died in January 1907 after being fatally injured playing for Leith.

kjell

Post by kjell » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:17 pm

Hello,

Thanks for this. I have now added the line up to my statistics and it is part of this huge project: http://playupliverpool.com/2017/06/20/p ... ir-merits/

Kjell

bluedragon

Post by bluedragon » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:46 am

Boris57 wrote: Incidentally Bank Park & Beechwood Park were not the same ground albeit that both were wityhin the same footprint of land that now forms the Leith Academy playing fields.
Thanks for explaining the slightly different locations of Bank Park and Beechwood Park.

With a friend we managed to walk around the locations of 10 of the grounds on the Hearts Museum map in North East Edinburgh in a morning. Afterwards we realised we had unwittingly walked past an 11th ground. You may remember you helped with the details of the footprint of the old Meadowbank set-up.

Thanks as well for confirming the goalscorer was Willie and not John Walker. Others may be interested to know that Willie Walker’s final resting place in Uphall Cemetery is marked with a tall stone memorial paid for by subscription organised by the Leith club.

Boris57

Post by Boris57 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:20 pm

I visited Uphall Cemetery about 18 months back to look at the memorial. Very impressive & well-maintained. Leith Athletic played Newcastle United (who had just won English First Division) at Easter Road on 23 April 1907 in a benefit match for his family. Current incarnation of Leith Athletic had an article on Wullie in the series "They Wore the Black & White" in their match programme a couple of years back.