Arthur "Essie" Murray (Airdrieonians)

Scottish Football Answers to Questions
bluedragon

Arthur "Essie" Murray (Airdrieonians)

Post by bluedragon » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:06 pm

Can anyone help please?

I am trying to find a photograph/image of Arthur “Essie” Murray. He had a short Scottish League career as an outside right with Airdrieonians (1900/01 and 1901/02) and so a team photograph from that time may be my best chance.

I am also trying to find details of his debut and last League match for Airdrieonians.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thank you.

sam peckinpah

Re: Arthur "Essie" Murray (Airdrieonians)

Post by sam peckinpah » Fri May 24, 2019 4:00 pm

Diamonds' historian, John Henderson, has Arthur Murray as a former Junior internationalist outside-right with Holytown Thistle who joined Airdrieonians during the close season of 1900. He scored twice on debut V East Stirlingshire (a) in Division Two on 18/08/1900, and, in total, played 18 Div 2 games, 1 Scottish Cup tie, 2 Lanarkshire Cup ties, 3 Lanarkshire League fixtures, and 3 Challenge Matches, scoring 6 league goals. He received a serious leg injury in the Lanarkshire League game V Motherwell (h) on 23/03/1901, and, although he began pre-season training for 1901/02, he was unable to resume his playing career.

Do you have any info on the nickname, and on either his date of birth or death? Unfortunately, no photograph available as far as is known.

bluedragon

Re: Arthur "Essie" Murray (Airdrieonians)

Post by bluedragon » Fri May 24, 2019 4:54 pm

Thank you for the information.

Arthur Anderson Murray – unfortunately I do not know how/why he acquired the nickname “Essie”.

Date of birth: 4 August 1877

Date of death: 5 July 1933

Junior international: 7 April 1900 v England at Muntz Street, Birmingham England 1 (1) Scotland 2 (0) Scotland scorers: Mullen, Murray.

We have him enlisting in the Army in October 1901 and seeing service in the Second Anglo-Boer War and then in the First World War (when he was decorated). One report said he played for the Army against South Africa in 1903.