Tom Cranston Cap

Scottish Football Answers to Questions
Shawfield Boy

Tom Cranston Cap

Post by Shawfield Boy » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:21 pm

I am in touch with Tom Cranston's family. Tom, according to JL's disk, played for Ardrossan Celtic, Raith Rovers (with a loan spell at Third Lanark) and Clyde, before joining up and ultimately losing his life in the War in 1916.

Anyway, they've sent me a picture of a "cap", Tom was awarded in 1912. It's light blue, with "EOS 1912" emblazoned across it. I have made the initial assumption it is maybe for some "East of Scotland" representative match, but haven't really looked much into it as yet NB Tom signed for Raith Rovers in May 1912, according to JL from Ardrossan Celtic.

Can anyone help as to what the cap was awarded for, and save me hours of happy research!!!!!

Cheers

bluedragon

Re: Tom Cranston Cap

Post by bluedragon » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:06 pm

Cranston (Ardrossan Celtic) played for Ayrshire against the East of Scotland on 20 January 1912 at Olive Bank, Musselburgh. Ayrshire won 2:1. The match was used as a trial for the Junior Scotland team. His performance must have earned him a place in the Blue team for the final Junior International trial at St Mirren Park, Paisley on 9 March 1912. Thanks to Sureitza for the information. Unfortunately he was not selected for the Junior Scotland team and the outside right berth in that season's three internationals went to Lamont (Dunipace).

Shawfield Boy

Re: Tom Cranston Cap

Post by Shawfield Boy » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:04 am

Thanks Bluedragon. Changed days to think that a physical "cap" was awarded for a regional select game. Cheers Syd