Scotland v United States XI 9 June 1935

Scottish Football Answers to Questions
bluedragon

Scotland v United States XI 9 June 1935

Post by bluedragon » Mon May 11, 2020 12:20 pm

Can anyone help me please with the order and timing of the five goals scored in the Scotland v United States of America XI match on 9 June 1935 played at Newark, New Jersey.

Scotland won 4-1 and I have the scorers for Scotland as Hughie Gallacher, Willie Mills, Dally Duncan and Davie Meiklejohn with George Moorhouse scoring for the US.

The newspapers currently available on the British Newspaper Archive all seem to carry the same very short press agency report of the match. It is probable the Scottish Daily Express may have a more detailed report as “Alan Breck” accompanied the touring party. A report of the tour is included in “Alan Breck’s Book of Scottish Football” published in 1937 but that does not give match details and is about life on tour. It will be some time before I will be able to have access to the library archives and I was hoping someone might be able to help me in the meantime.

Thank you.

ScottishFA

Re: Scotland v United States XI 9 June 1935

Post by ScottishFA » Mon May 11, 2020 8:11 pm

The SFA handbook for 1937 has tour details and gives the Scotland scorers in this order: Meiklejohn pen, Duncan, Gallacher, Mills.

If nothing else, it does indicate further research needed!

bluedragon

Re: Scotland v United States XI 9 June 1935

Post by bluedragon » Tue May 12, 2020 8:19 am

ScottishFA wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 8:11 pm
The SFA handbook for 1937 has tour details and gives the Scotland scorers in this order: Meiklejohn pen, Duncan, Gallacher, Mills.

If nothing else, it does indicate further research needed!
Thanks Andy. That looks to give us the order of the Scottish goals.