Billy Alston & Alec Cheyne "olimpic goals"

Scottish Football Answers to Questions

Postby Carlucci » Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:17 pm

After the International Board changed the rule on June 14th in 1924 alowing goals to be scored directly from a corner kick, it was a Scottish player who became the first man in reaching that feat on August 21st . I know his name was Billy Alston and it was a game from the 2nd Division in Scotland. Could you tell us the sides that faced each other in that game and the final score?

That kind of goals were called "olimpic" because on October 2nd in 1924 Argentina defeated the then Olimpic champions, Uruguay 2-1, and the Argentinian player Cesáreo Onzari scored the first goal from a corner kick.

Five years later, on April 13th in 1929, Scotland beat England 1-0 at Hampden Park, and Alec Cheyne scored in the last minute from a corner kick to give victory to the Scots. In think that he matched that feat twice in the same match, a Scottish Cup tie in 1930. Could you tell us the sides that meet each other in that game and the final score?

Finally I suppose that it will be funny for Scottish football fans to know that England have received six olimpic goals through the years:

1929, April 13th: Scotland 1-0 England (Alec Cheyne)
1936, October 17th 1936: Wales 2-1 England (Morris or Pat Glover ?)
1952, October 4th: Northern Ireland 2-2 England (Charlie Tully)
1987, September 9th, West Germany 3-1 England (Pierre Littbarski)
1992, March 25th: Czechoslovakia 2-2 England (Skuhravý)
2002, October 16th: England 2-2 Macedonia (Sakiri )

Have Scotland ever scored or received a "olimpic goal"? Thanks. Cheers
Carlucci

Postby bobby s » Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:43 pm

Paul Kane scored an olimpic goal for Hibs in 1985 v Dundee. At least that's how I remember it.
It's the Hope I can't stand
bobby s

Postby Sat31March1928 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:49 pm

Are you sure it was the 21st that was a Thursday?

I've checked the SDA for the 23rd and an 'Alston' scored a headed goal for St Bernards. I'll check other games in August.
Jackson; James; Jackson; James; Jackson
Sat31March1928

Bily Alston & Alec Cheyne "olimpic" goals

Postby Carlucci » Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:39 pm

I've taken the data about Billy Alston from an article published on internet: http://www.radiotea.com.ar/novedades_2.php. It was an Argentinian football historian called Jorge Gallego who claimed that ita Billy Alston the first footballer in scoring from a direct corner kick and that happened on August 21st in 1924.

"Lo cierto es que la regla fue modificada por la International Board el 14 de junio de 1924. Y que, según aporta el historiador Jorge Gallego, el primer gol directo de córner se produjo el 21 de agosto en un partido de la Segunda de Escocia. Su autor, Billy Alston, no logró la trascendencia de Onzari. Nunca.

FUENTE: DIARIO CLARIN
AUTOR DE LA NOTA: Oscar Barnade."

Cheers.
Carlucci

Postby cowdenbeather » Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:34 pm

As an aside to this, The Falkirk centenary booklet talks about the great Jocky Simpson and eulogises him as follows ' his bender corner kicks were the great speciality ... Just as they (goalkeepers) beleived they had them safely in their grasp, they were beaten by the twist the ball would take and were at a complete loss to understand how it was lying nestling in the back of the net. Simpson scored so many goals direct from corners for it to be regarded as a fluke every time (sic)'. Jocky Simpson of course retired in 1911 - so is this just a flight of fancy by the writer = or did Jocky also somehow mesmerise goalkeepers into touching the ball into their own net? If so though they were surely own goals?
cowdenbeather

Postby Carlucci » Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:23 pm

Sorry, but I made I mistake. In the match played in 1992, on March 25th, it was Chovanek and not Skuhravý who scored from the corner kick for the Czechs against England. Both men scored for Czechoslovakia.
Carlucci

Return to SFAQS