New St Bernard's Book

The place to recommend books to other Forum users. Or even to warn off.
StAndrewsHMFC

New St Bernard's Book

Post by StAndrewsHMFC » Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:41 pm

Came across this website when looking for information on St.Bernard's-
http://www.stbernardsfc.co.uk/clubnews.pl?id=36901

Has the following appeal and I thought people on here might be able to help out-
Old team photographs are required.

Plans are at an advanced stage to have a history published about the old St Bernards Football Club. The Saints were a senior club; at one time played in the Scottish League First Division, and won the Scottish Cup in 1895. They were founded in 1878 and ceased to exist in 1942.

While a number of photographs have already been obtained mainly from newspapers there are certain gaps and we would be interested to hear from anyone who has team photographs for the period prior to the First World War. In particular we would like those of the 1908 Scottish Qualifying Cup winners and the teams who won the Scottish League Second Division in 1901 and 1907.

If anyone can help please contact George Park on:

ScottishFA

Post by ScottishFA » Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:52 pm

The book is now out! An excellent publication, the result of many years of research by George Park.

He has uncovered lots of new material and anecdotes, and the book also has every line-up (where known) for every match in the club's history.

It costs just £5.99 with all proceeds to charity, and is available from a number of outlets in Edinburgh, listed on the website at http://www.stbernardsfc.co.uk/club_news.pl

Or you could write directly to George Park at 15 Royal Crescent, Edinburgh EH3 6QA, send a cheque plus postage (£1.50 should cover it).

BMCCOLL

Post by BMCCOLL » Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:13 pm

I have the original history by George Campbell, how does it compare with that?

StAndrewsHMFC

Post by StAndrewsHMFC » Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:48 pm

BMCCOLL wrote:I have the original history by George Campbell, how does it compare with that?
I too have a copy of George Campbell's book and bought the new book on Monday. The new book has a comprehensive stats section showing all the known results and line-ups for St.Bernards (as well as the 2nd and 3rd teams up to about 1900) and has an alphabetical list of all players known to have played for St Bernards complete with normal playing position and notes of interest.

As for the text, I've only read the first 10 pages or so (of 100) but so far it has covered the early years a bit more closely than Campbell's book. It also has a different theory to how St Bernards came into being as opposed to the ERV route.

Based on what I've seen so far and that its for a good cause I'd definately recommend it even if you already have Campbell's book

BMCCOLL

Post by BMCCOLL » Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:29 pm

George's book does skip over the early years before giving a season by season account from the 1920s on, so may be worth a lookie!

StefaanD

Post by StefaanD » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:14 pm

Can the author George Park be contacted through email? And what is the exact
title of the book published?

StefaanD

Post by StefaanD » Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:36 am

Guess it's this book which is discussed here, correct?

StAndrewsHMFC

Post by StAndrewsHMFC » Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:33 am

Stefaan,

Thats the correct book, they've obviously stopped advertising it on the club website

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:43 pm

I picked this up in Dougie Stevenson's programme shop in Kilmarnock last month. Very detailed stats section. One quibble. Like some club histories (Raith Rovers, St Johnstone come to mind) line-ups are given in simple chronological order. Some people will like it this way but it makes it difficult to total up appearances and goals in particular competitions. Still, highly recommended.