Books about professionalism

The place to recommend books to other Forum users. Or even to warn off.
Cinneide

Books about professionalism

Post by Cinneide » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:01 pm

Can anyone recommend books either exclusively about, or with good coverage of, the birth of professional football in the UK?
[url=http://www.PTEarlyYears.net/]Partick Thistle - The Early Years - A Club History Online[/url]

soccerhistory

Post by soccerhistory » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:58 pm

I still tend to regard Tony Mason's Association Football & English Society, 1863-1915 as the best and most readable work. Other useful books include John Harding's Living to Play (which is essentially a social history of the footballer); Steven Tischler, Footballers and Businessmen, The Origins of Professional Soccer in England; Soccer and Society: South Wales 1900-1939 by Martin Johnes and Association Football and Society in Pre-Partition Ireland (Neal Garnham) are useful for Wales and Ireland; Bob Crampsey's The Scottish Footballer has some useful insights on Scotland, but is not exclusively about the early period of professionalism. Graham Curry has written on James J Lang, one of the very earliest professionals, in both Soccer & Society 5, 3 (Autumn 2004) and in Soccer History 16 (Summer 2007). If you want more detailed information please contact me off list and I will try and help.

cmontheloknow

Post by cmontheloknow » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:55 pm

soccerhistory wrote:I still tend to regard Tony Mason's Association Football & English Society, 1863-1915 as the best and most readable work. Other useful books include John Harding's Living to Play (which is essentially a social history of the footballer); Steven Tischler, Footballers and Businessmen, The Origins of Professional Soccer in England; Soccer and Society: South Wales 1900-1939 by Martin Johnes and Association Football and Society in Pre-Partition Ireland (Neal Garnham) are useful for Wales and Ireland; Bob Crampsey's The Scottish Footballer has some useful insights on Scotland, but is not exclusively about the early period of professionalism. Graham Curry has written on James J Lang, one of the very earliest professionals, in both Soccer & Society 5, 3 (Autumn 2004) and in Soccer History 16 (Summer 2007). If you want more detailed information please contact me off list and I will try and help.
Bob touches upon the early days of professionalism in his SFL history too.

LEATHERSTOCKING

Post by LEATHERSTOCKING » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:42 pm

Bloody professionals - ruined a perfectly good game.

bertmart

Post by bertmart » Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:02 pm

Wray Vamplew - Pay up and Play the game