WEE RED BOOK

The place to recommend books to other Forum users. Or even to warn off.
LEATHERSTOCKING

WEE RED BOOK

Post by LEATHERSTOCKING » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:00 pm

The Wee Red Book`s in my back pocket as we speak - this is my 53rd year. Same inaccuracies but it`s traditional isn`t it?

BMCCOLL

Post by BMCCOLL » Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:15 am

Good grief, is that relic still going?

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:02 pm

Piece about the history of football annuals here

BMCCOLL

Post by BMCCOLL » Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:23 pm

For what it had content wise, I always paid the pennies extra for the NOW annual

LEATHERSTOCKING

Post by LEATHERSTOCKING » Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:54 pm

Whatever DID happen to the AFS? It was very good when Ray Spiller ran it from his back bedroom(eventually front bedroom, side bedroom, sitting room, dining room, kitchen, latrines & outhouses - not married I presume!). It disintegrated when he sold it. As wee boys, the only times we stopped playing football, cricket, climbing trees, playing ring-bell-skoosh, playing in the railway sidings, frightening each other with stories that the woman who lived in thon big house @ the bottom of the road dragged you in & boiled you in a big vat in her basement if you climbed the wall to get your ball back(you ran past her gate involuntarily squirting urine as you went) was when you were reading the Wee Red Book - adverts included a picture of a streamlined railway engine & the slogan "Aitkens Beer. Brewed along the right lines for 200 years" & "Make Agnews YOUR goal", "There`s no penalty when you shop @ Greaves." Geddit? There was also one for HAMMY`S BAR & LOUNGE situated @ "Barrowfield Street - adjacent to Parkhead" where you were invited to "relax and enjoy a refreshment(!) before or after the game - in a friendly atmosphere. The added atraction was a colour TV. Not many patrons tempted to "relax...in a friendly atmosphere" before travelling home to the Kinning Park area I wouldn`t have thought.

BMCCOLL

Post by BMCCOLL » Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:42 pm

LEATHERSTOCKING wrote:Whatever DID happen to the AFS? It was very good when Ray Spiller ran it from his back bedroom
Ray apparently took the money and ran!

Although never a member, I did purchase a number of books from them, notably on the SFL, SFA Cup, League Cup, Internationalists A-Z and Inter-league matches. I was probably getting a bit carried away when I bought the book on the FA and League of Ireland matches tho'!!!

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:45 am

LEATHERSTOCKING wrote: There was also one for HAMMY`S BAR & LOUNGE situated @ "Barrowfield Street - adjacent to Parkhead" where you were invited to "relax and enjoy a refreshment(!) before or after the game - in a friendly atmosphere.
Picked a Sixties one at random - nine booze-related ads, three for gambling and two tobacco. I never realised until now that El D came in TWO varieties.

soccerhistory

Post by soccerhistory » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:58 am

To be fair to Ray I don't think this was the case. He sold the company and was retained as a consultant by the new owners, although I doubt if he got more than a very minimal upfront payment. What happened next is that the majority of what remained of the library was sold off and the new company (which by my estimates had an annual income roughly on a par with its monthly wages/consultants costs) quickly went into administration. The business was then sold by the administrators to a company owned by one of the two individuals involved with the company that had just folded.

There is an issue that many members (including myself) believed that the AFS was a vaguely democratic organisation (in the early days there was a committee apparently running it) and it was therefore not the right of one individual to sell it off. In my opinion the whole episode could have been handled very differently leading to a much better outcome for the membership, but I don't think Ray gained a significant financial reward from the sale.

LEATHERSTOCKING

Post by LEATHERSTOCKING » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:06 am

Two varieties of EL D? Oh, yes - ULTRA VOMIT & ULTRA VOMIT PLUS. Going back to vendors @ football grounds("ERRA SPEARMIN` CHEWINGGUM ANNA FULLCREAMMILKCHCOLATE ANNA MACAROONBARZ." it was suggested to my friend @ Celtic Park he carry out an anatomically very difficult act when he asked for a half milk chocolate delicacy. Hah, these jovial Queen`s Park types - it was a novelty to us bowler hatted youngsters because Hampden wasn`t frequented by these lovable scamps with a tray round their necks. Being in such a large crowd was claustrophobic to us used to the wide open unpopulated prairies @ Sommerville Drive.

lbb

Post by lbb » Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:34 pm

Leatherstocking, do you have a scanner? I'd be interested to see the advert for Hammy's Bar, if you can do so. No problems, if you can't.

BMCCOLL

Post by BMCCOLL » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:11 pm

soccerhistory wrote:
To be fair to Ray I don't think this was the case.
Probably a bit harsh on my side!

I always liked the look of the AFS' books though, it all looked as if it was made on a typewriter and stapled together by an army of volunteers!