Arthur Kinnaird biography now published

The place to recommend books to other Forum users. Or even to warn off.

Arthur Kinnaird biography now published

Postby ScottishFA » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:40 am

I'm delighted to announce that my biography of Arthur Kinnaird is now available. Arthur Kinnaird: First Lord of Football can be bought through my website, http://www.lordkinnaird.com and costs £9.99 plus £2 postage.

Over 200 pages, with a lot of new information and unseen images, fully referenced with bibliography and index.

There is a free sample chapter to download covering his university years, and of course the website gives a good flavour of what else you can expect. I hope you like it, and look forward to receiving any comments.

It has been published through Createspace, the Amazon self-publishing arm, which I have found fairly easy to use. It is also remarkably cheap, and getting it to publication stage cost less than $50 in fees. The downside is that the book is available through amazon.com in the USA, but unfortunately that doesn't extend to the UK version - so my website is currently the only UK sales outlet.

It has also inspired me to start work on a second book, a bit of a spin-off from this one, on the birth of international football - how England first met Scotland in 1870 (unofficially), and taking the story up to the first official matches in 1872-73, together with biographies of all the players on both sides. I hope to have it out next year.

Andy Mitchell
ScottishFA

Re: Arthur Kinnaird biography now published

Postby Alan Brown » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:36 pm

I just ordered my copy. It's good to see that someone is finally tackling this important period of Scottish football history.

Alan
Alan Brown

Postby scottish » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:41 am

ScottishFA wrote: The downside is that the book is available through amazon.com in the USA, but unfortunately that doesn't extend to the UK version - so my website is currently the only UK sales outlet.

That's surprising, especially as CreateSpace is their own self-publishing arm. I have my Lulu books available on the UK site. Rather odd they accept a rival and not their own. Anyway, congrats on publication. The site refers to postage in UK only so do I have to buy from US Amazon?
scottish
Site Admin

Postby ScottishFA » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:02 am

I'm still working on extending the distribution network!

Anyway, just to be clear, at present, if you are in the UK the best way is to buy direct from me at http://www.lordkinnaird.com I have a stock of books to fulfill orders.

If you are in the USA, it will be cheaper for you to buy from amazon.com as the book is printed on demand in South Carolina. (There is nothing to stop UK purchasers buying from amazon.com but you will pay international postage rates.)

Anywhere else in the world, just contact me directly for a quote.
ScottishFA

Postby scottish » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:35 pm

ScottishFA wrote:
Anywhere else in the world, just contact me directly for a quote.

Have sent a PM
scottish
Site Admin

Postby ScottishFA » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:27 am

Unbelievable! I should have guessed this would happen, but one of the first purchasers of my book has started uploading my research onto Wikipedia. His name is David Earley and he goes under the wiki-name of 'Daemonic Kangaroo'.

I had done a lot of work on the unofficial internationals of 1870-71, researching and identifying who the players were, and published the findings in the book. So this reprobate takes my original research, and within two weeks of publication he posts it on Wikipedia for all the world to see. He's been careful to give some references to my book, but if the information is published on the web it takes away a strong reason for people to purchase it. I've asked him to stop, but he has just ignored my email. Breach of copyright? Probably not, as you can't copyright a fact. But hugely annoying.
ScottishFA

Postby scottish » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:36 am

ScottishFA wrote:Unbelievable! I should have guessed this would happen, but one of the first purchasers of my book has started uploading my research onto Wikipedia. His name is David Earley and he goes under the wiki-name of 'Daemonic Kangaroo'.

I had done a lot of work on the unofficial internationals of 1870-71, researching and identifying who the players were, and published the findings in the book. So this reprobate takes my original research, and within two weeks of publication he posts it on Wikipedia for all the world to see. He's been careful to give some references to my book, but if the information is published on the web it takes away a strong reason for people to purchase it. I've asked him to stop, but he has just ignored my email. Breach of copyright? Probably not, as you can't copyright a fact. But hugely annoying.

Agreed. But if he is copying huge chunks of the book then it could be a breach of copyright. I hate to say it but it might get worse. I've had broadsheet newspapers cutting and pasting wholesale in the past.
scottish
Site Admin

Return to Football Books