The Same Old Game by Mike Roberts

The place to recommend books to other Forum users. Or even to warn off.

The Same Old Game by Mike Roberts

Postby BMCCOLL » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:25 pm

Mike Roberts has issued his two volume book on the origins of football. Full details can be found at http://footballorigins.com/. Well worth the price.
BMCCOLL

Re: The Same Old Game by Mike Roberts

Postby ScottishFA » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:22 am

It looks pretty comprehensive, but does it contain a significant amount of new research or just a rehash of previously published material?

I'm just a bit suspicious when someone claims to have written the 'true story', yet his promotional website has errors. For example, he uses the photo of 'Sheffield in 1857', which is actually London in 1873. And he talks about Morton Peto Betts being 'registered' to Harrow Chequers in the first FA Cup, when there was no such thing as player registration.

Having said that, it's a vast subject to cover so it could be a useful resource.
ScottishFA

Re: The Same Old Game by Mike Roberts

Postby BMCCOLL » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:28 pm

It is a pretty comprehensive subject and from what I've read so far (about 10% according to kindle), Mike has used other source material extensively, but has not lavishly agreed with their findings, giving, in the main, his own theories which are both serious and with a hint of humour. The history doesn't just focus on the football codes we know today, but also stick games such as lacrosse and hockey, which he feels all had the same origins. From the American Indians to the Pacific Islands to the eskimos, it is an extensive treatise that I think is well worth the look.
BMCCOLL

Return to Football Books