Killie Greats

The place to recommend books to other Forum users. Or even to warn off.
Scottish
Site Admin

Killie Greats

Post by Scottish » Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:01 pm

I'm currently writing a book with the above title which will be available later this year. Below is the press release sent out by the club this week.

From 'Bummer' to 'Boomer'

The greatest names in the history of Kilmarnock FC are to be celebrated in a new book. ‘Killie Greats’ will feature ten of the most famous players to have worn the blue-and-white since the club’s foundation in 1869. Star players from every era of Kilmarnock’s history will appear in the book:

James ‘Bummer’ Campbell – Killie’s 19th century superstar.

Jamie Mitchell – first player to make over 400 appearances for the club.

Mattha’ Smith – grandfather of former player and media pundit Gordon Smith, he is the only player to win the Scottish Cup twice while with Kilmarnock.

Freddie Milloy – the ‘iron man’ defender of the 1930s.

Bob Thyne – post-war hero who later became a club director.

Frank Beattie – who captained Killie to the league championship in 1965.

Eddie Morrison – the club’s record post-war goalscorer.

Alan Robertson – record appearance holder and still at Rugby Park today, bringing through tomorrow’s stars.

Ray Montgomerie – skipper of the 1997 Scottish Cup winners

Kris Boyd – youngest player to score 50 SPL goals.

‘Killie Greats’ will be written by football historian David Ross who runs the scottishleague.net website. David – himself a Kilmarnock supporter – is the author of several football books, including the official centenary history of Hampden Park (with Forrest Robertson) and two previous Killie club histories. His most recent book was the critically acclaimed ‘ROAR Of The Crowd.’

Retailing at just £9-99 and illustrated throughout, ‘Killie Greats’ – available from October - is sure to be welcomed by Kilmarnock fans everywhere and Scottish football fans in general. Fans who place an advance order can have their names printed in the book. Details from Alan Johnston on 01563 545318.

Gersman

Post by Gersman » Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:35 pm

Killie Greats? Gonna be a pretty slim volume then?
Fifty one and counting

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:56 pm

This book can now be ordered in advance from the club. It's unlikely it will be on sale elsewhere. If you order now you can add your name to the list of advanced subscribers which will be printed in the book.

The contact details at the moment only has a UK phone number. I will be speaking to the club before the Rangers game this weekend to see if they can post details for overseas purchasers.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:03 pm

There is now an-email address at the link above and a form which can be downloaded, filled in and e-mailed back for non-UK purchasers to add their details.

Anyone who wants to post their details back to the club can do so via Freepost.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:27 am

Published end of October/beginning of November. Details here

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:19 pm

This book will be launched officially on Thursday but is available to buy now.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:07 am

Book was launched Thurs Nov 2nd and featured on STV's 'Scotland Today' that evening. Several former Killie stars were present.

Back L-R: Andy King (Killie 1961-72), Frank Beattie (1953-72), Eddie Morrison (1967-76 & Manager 1984-88), Alan Robertson (1971-89, current Youth Development Coach), Gordon Smith (1972-78), Ray Montgomerie (1988-99 current Matchday Manager)

Front L-R: Michael Johnston (Chairman), Jim Jefferies (Manager 2002-), David Ross (Author), Eric Murray (1961-68), Davie Sneddon (1961-67 & Manager 1977-81)

FlowGently

Post by FlowGently » Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:45 pm

Hello David, Managed to get my copy of your book after the Killie vs. Dunfermline game on Saturday and got it signed by Eric Murray, Andy King, David Sneddon and Eddie Morrison. Another excellent addition to the history of the club. I didn't envy your task on restricting it to 10!!

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:31 pm

Thanks. A list of ten players is always going to be controversial. I've tried to explain the thinking behind my selections in the introduction to the book. There's always the possibility of a second (and subsequent) volume if this one sells well.

I was going to go up for the Dunfermline match and sign some myself but couldn't make it. Instead, I'll be there this Saturday for the St Mirren match. So, having missed a 5-1 win, I now expect a 0-0 draw!

Anyway, if you want my messy scrawl added to the illustrious names already there I'll be signing books in the Park Hotel both before and after the match.

LEATHERSTOCKING

Post by LEATHERSTOCKING » Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:38 pm

Good picture of the aging HOLE IN THE WALL GANG or is it Block D of the BarL on their day release holding their registration numbers against their chests? Do not approach these men. Do not "have a go".

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:11 pm

Just realised there's eleven in the pic. Makings of a decent team there. King, Robertson, Monty & Beattie in defence, JJ, Murray, & Sneddon in the middle with Smith & Morrison up front. Add a creative right-sided midfielder who can land a fifty-yard diagonal pass on a threepenny-bit (must be one in there somewhere :lol: ) and the Chairman can go in goal.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:15 am

Now available for Amazon Kindle