Early Old Firm Footage

The place to recommend (or otherwise) football or football-related TV programmes, DVDs, Videos and Movies.

Also to let users know about upcoming programmes in your part of the world.

Early Old Firm Footage

Postby scottish » Fri Oct 14, 2005 4:40 pm

Some time ago Mickey Walker asked about "the earliest known film footage of an Old Firm game."

The answer I gave was "The earliest I've SEEN is the 1928 Scottish Cup Final. But if anyone out there knows of any earlier, please get in touch with the address at the top of the page.

Mickey has e-mailed to say "I have now seen a 1921 clip of a Celtic v Rangers which I think is a Glasgow Cup Final."

The earliest Scottish club match I can find on Pathé is the Thistle - Rangers Scottish Cup Final from 1921 as well though I'm fairly certain there were pre-WW1 matches filmed. Whether any footage has survived I don't know
scottish
Site Admin

Postby Sat31March1928 » Fri Oct 14, 2005 6:39 pm

The oldest Scottish I've found is

Bobby Walker and Charlie Thomson on video

England vs Scotland 1907

http://www.londonhearts.com/scores/video/scoteng.html
Jackson; James; Jackson; James; Jackson
Sat31March1928

Postby scottish » Fri Oct 14, 2005 7:25 pm

Internationals and FA Cup Finals were filmed from the late 19th century onwards and screened the same night.

In 1903 for instance the Bury-Derby County FA Cup Final was screened at the Theatre Royal alongside the scheduled dramatic production - a play more suited to Glasgow than London, I imagine, considering it's title "Are You a Mason?"
scottish
Site Admin

Postby Gunboat Briggs » Sat Oct 15, 2005 8:19 pm

The Scottish League's centenary video had clips of Dundee v Raith Rovers in about 1908 which it said was the earliest known footage of a Scottish club match.
Gunboat Briggs

Return to TV, DVD, Video & Film