The Scot who scored in a World Cup semi-final

For English, European and World football topics.
Scottish
Site Admin

The Scot who scored in a World Cup semi-final

Post by Scottish » Sat May 20, 2006 5:16 pm

Not a joke. Nothing to do with Subbuteo or Elephant Polo or any of those strange 'games' in which Scotland have featured on the world stage. This is the proper World Cup. The Jules Rimet trophy. The very first in fact, in Uruguay in 1930. And a bona fide Scotsman - an Ayrshireman of course, born in Kilmarnock and raised in Troon - scored in one of the semi-finals.

It's an amazing story of one of an incredible sporting dynasty. The man in question - Jim Brown - played for the USA, as did his son George. They are the only father-and-son pairing in the US soccer Hall Of Fame. His brother Jock played for Scotland and Jock's two sons - Peter & Gordon - were also capped by Scotland - but at rugby.

See for yourself here

Jim Brown - the Scot who scored in a World Cup semi-final

Shawfield Boy

Post by Shawfield Boy » Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:15 am

I found this out doing research for one of my articles for the Clyde programme, where I look at Clyde connections with English clubs. Jim Brown played for Manchester United and is shown on some sites as a signed Clyde player, although it's not clear if he ever played a game for the Bully Wee before he retired. Entirely possible with the Jock Brown connection.

Shawfield Boy

Re: The Scot who scored in a World Cup semi-final

Post by Shawfield Boy » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:01 am

I have just had an email from a fellow "Clyde View" contributor who interviewed Jock Brown some years ago. During that interview Jock confirmed that his brother Jimmy did indeed sign for Clyde, around 1940, and apparently remained a signed Clyde player for three seasons or so.

I've no records close to hand to indicate whether he did play for Clyde during the War, but if he remained signed for three seasons I think we've got to assume that Clyde did indeed field a player who played - and scored - in a World Cup Semi-final!

Cheers!

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:17 pm

Unfortunately the original link appears to be inactive but it definitely does look like the player who signed for Clyde is indeed the very same Jim Brown who played and scored in the 1930 World Cup semi-final. Michael Joyce's book has him as born Kilmarnock 31/12/1908. Joyce has him with eight different clubs in the USA and notes he was a USA cap. He then returned to the UK to play for Man Utd in 1932, scoring 17 times in 40 appearances. There are then a handful of appearances for Brentford and Spurs.

The only murky bit is that Joyce has him as playing for Guildford City, Clydebank and finally Greenport United in Connecticut.

John Litster has him as joining Clyde on 16/11/1940 from Tottenham and staying registered with the Bully Wee for both 1940-41 and 1941-42.

It appears to me that 'Clydebank' is an error and should read Clyde. Guildford may well have been a loan period with Tottenham retaining the registration.

Shawfield Boy

Post by Shawfield Boy » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:46 pm

An additional part of the email from PP was that Jock Brown confirmed that Jimmy Brown had joined Clyde from Guildford City (United?), and before that he had played for Spurs and before that Brentford. As you suggest, it may well be that Spurs retained his registration.
No info as yet as to where he went after Clyde, other than what's on Wikipedie. Also Wikipedia (for what it's worth) shows him as managing - not playing for -Greenport United from 1950 to 1952, which seems more feasible given he would be approx 42 in 1950.

problemchild

Post by problemchild » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:47 pm

Patrick Lambie, the South Africa rugby internationalist, comes from the same family tree.

Shawfield Boy

Post by Shawfield Boy » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:24 pm

Digging through the minutes of the Clyde Board around the start of the 1940's, and around the 16th November 1940 Clyde sought and were granted permission from Tottenham to play Jim Brown. The following week the Directors apparently approached Tottenham to sign him. Whatever happened, it took until the 22 Feb 1941 before he made his Clyde debut, against Queens Park at Hampden. The next, and so far only, game he played was again against Queens Park, this time at Shawfield on the 29 March 1941.

So we can legitimately claim to have been the first Scottish team to field a Scotsman who scored a goal in a World Cup semi-final.....