2009-10 Predictions

Postby scottish » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:31 pm

Okay, here's mine.

SPL Champions Celtic (not much between the pair but more cash available at Parkhead)
SPL Runners-up Rangers
SPL Third Hibernian (Aberdeen & Hearts going backwards and Dundee United stalled)
SPL Relegated Hamilton (though I'm sure Falkirk will give them a run for their money)

1st Division Champions Inverness Caledonian Thistle (No worse than the three or four around them last year and best side to be relegated for a while. Two-horse race with Dundee)
1st Division Relegation play-off Ayr United (will be glad to see Airdrie in by the back door)
1st Division Relegated Airdrie United (possibly the easiest bet of the season following unexpected reprieve coming too late to build for this level)

2nd Division Champions Stirling Albion (very difficult to call now that all the 'big' clubs down here in the past few seasons have finally escaped)
2nd Division Promotion play-offs (3) Brechin City, Arbroath, East Fife
2nd Division Relegation play-off Stenhousemuir
2nd Division Relegated Cowdenbeath

3rd Division Champions Livingston (provided they survive)
3rd Division Promotion play-offs (3) East Stirlingshire, Queen's Park, Albion Rovers
3rd Division Bottom Montrose

Scottish Cup Winners Rangers

League Cup Winners Celtic

Challenge Cup Winners Partick Thistle

Plus you can also predict how far our teams will go in Europe.
Rangers - 3rd in group, last sixteen Europa League. (Unless the pot four team in their group are Wolfsburg, in which case last in group).

Celtic Europa League group stages (assuming they lose to Arsenal they will be second seeds in the group stage and much depends on the draw but there look to be too many good teams in the third pot).

Scrub the rest. They're all already out except Hearts and the plug gets pulled on them this week.

Plus some categories suggested by posters

1) First manager to get the sack. In the SPL, Eddie May. Elsewhere, Jim McIntyre (yes I know Dunfermline are currently top but their home form under McIntyre is atrocious - 11 defeats, eight draws and eight wins in 27 league matches).

2) First team to enter administration. Scrub this category too. Already happened.

3) A wildcard daft prediction. Scotland to beat both Macedonia & Holland and finish 2nd in the World Cup group but worst of the runners-up and hence no play-off place.
scottish
Site Admin

Postby Skyline Drifter » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:21 am

I forgot about this! I feel it's a bit of a cheat to predict three weeks into the season but anyway..........................

SPL Champions - Celtic
SPL Runners-up - Rangers
SPL Third - Er, Dundee United
SPL Relegated - Hamilton

1st Division Champions - Can't really see past Dundee. If they aren't already clear by January they'll throw more money at it.
1st Division Relegation play-off - Could be just about anyone. I'm going to go for Ayr United though.
1st Division Relegated - Airdrie United

2nd Division Champions - Alloa Athletic
2nd Division Promotion play-offs (3) - Peterhead, Stirling Albion, East Fife
2nd Division Relegation play-off - Cowdenbeath
2nd Division Relegated - Clyde

3rd Division Champions - Yeah, Livingston will win it unless they get a major points penalty for the East Stirling no show
3rd Division Promotion play-offs (3) - East Stirling, Albion Rovers, Stranraer
3rd Division Bottom - Elgin City

Scottish Cup Winners - Rangers for a three-peat

League Cup Winners - Rangers for a cup double

Challenge Cup Winners - Queen of the South!

Rangers - 3rd in group, Europa League last 16
Celtic - Europa League last16

Rest - Already out, including Hearts in effect

1) First manager to get the sack. - John Brown if Clyde can actually afford it. This is presuming we aren't counting John Murphy who has already been removed from Livingston?
2) First team to enter administration. - On the basis Livingston technically never actually reached it, Clyde.
3) A wildcard daft prediction. - Kevin Kyle to score an international goal for Scotland this season.
Stephen Dobbie to be called up for a full international by the end of the season if we are put out of the world cup.
Skyline Drifter

Postby smokiesnwine » Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:24 pm

My amended league predictions due to Livingston's demotion are

SPL Champions Celtic
SPL Runners-up Rangers
SPL Third Hibs
SPL Relegated Hamilton

1st Division Champions Dundee
1st Division Relegation play-off Morton
1st Division Relegated Ayr United ( always get them mixed up with Clyde javascript:emoticon(':oops:') )

2nd Division Champions Arbroath
2nd Division Promotion play-offs (3) Brechin, Peterhead, Stirling Albion
2nd Division Relegation play-off Cowdenbeath
2nd Division Relegated Stenhousemuir

3rd Division Champions Livingston
3rd Division Promotion play-offs (3) East Stirling, Annan, Forfar
3rd Division Bottom Elgin

Scottish Cup Winners Aberdeen

League Cup Winners Hibs

Challenge Cup Winners Dundee

Rangers Group stages
Celtic knocked out by Dinamo Moscow
Hearts Group stages
Aberdeen Group stages
Motherwell 3rd qualifying round

1) First manager to get the sack. Jim Duffy
3) A wildcard daft prediction . Ronaldo will sign for Barcelona :oops:
Last edited by smokiesnwine on Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
smokiesnwine

Postby scottish » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:26 pm

smokiesnwine wrote:My amended league predictions due to Livingston's demotion are

1st Division Relegated Clyde

I'd amend again if I were you. No chance of that one coming true until next season at the earliest.
scottish
Site Admin

Postby upthewell » Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:19 am

Have the shifting sands settled now? Can we make our predictions safely afore the thread is locked down?
upthewell

Postby scottish » Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:40 am

upthewell wrote:Have the shifting sands settled now? Can we make our predictions safely afore the thread is locked down?

Well, the transfer deadline has been extended to tomorrow but I'm going to lock later today.
scottish
Site Admin

Previous

Return to 2009-10 Predictions