Rangers Liquidation. What Happens Next?

The place to discuss Scottish football

Re: Rangers Liquidation. What Happens Next?

Postby BMCCOLL » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:07 pm

LEATHERSTOCKING wrote:Incidentally, if the existing Rangers is liquidated and a brand new Sou` Side Rangars FC start up, I presume we can start a new set of statistics for it ie. no league titles or Cup wins, no internationalists etc.

Exactly what is the standing of the 'new' Rangers. Are they a continuation, a la SPL, Green, D&P, or are they a new club, a la UEFA? I'd go with the latter, the former are a bunch of chancers by my reckoning! And if I owed thousands to the Taxman, I'd expect a knock at my door and an order to hand over the keys to my house, why hasn't this happened at Ibrox? Surely there is sufficient value to the assets (ground, players etc) to pay off all the creditors in one fell swoop. Or is it all smoke and mirrors...
BMCCOLL

Postby scottish » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:06 pm

Gorgiewave wrote:
Joseph Heller, more like!

Well, possibly. I can see Dumb & Dumber as Cathcart & Korn and Craigy Boy is a stick-on Milo Minderbinder. Not forgetting Ex-PFC (Charles) Wintergreen. The late Willie Waddell was known as 'The Deedle' which is as close to Dreedle as you can get but I can't find a Yossarian in there anywhere. As for Nateley's Whore................
scottish
Site Admin

Postby scottish » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:09 pm

BMCCOLL wrote:
Exactly what is the standing of the 'new' Rangers. Are they a continuation, a la SPL, Green, D&P, or are they a new club, a la UEFA? I'd go with the latter, the former are a bunch of chancers by my reckoning!

If they are the same then presumably they won't be wanting to transfer their SPL share and can offer a guarantee they will fulfil all fixtures next season and avoid liquidation.

If the latter then surely they wouldn't have the cheek to apply to enter the Scottish game at anything other than the lowest league level?
scottish
Site Admin

Postby LEATHERSTOCKING » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:39 am

The Eye`s piece is a full page expose of Craigie & his business dealings in the 90s. They`ve managed to get court papers on the matter(s) involving the man with "wealth off the radar" and it`s murky, murky stuff.
LEATHERSTOCKING

Postby Gorgiewave » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:12 am

scottish wrote:
Gorgiewave wrote:
Joseph Heller, more like!

Well, possibly. I can see Dumb & Dumber as Cathcart & Korn and Craigy Boy is a stick-on Milo Minderbinder. Not forgetting Ex-PFC (Charles) Wintergreen. The late Willie Waddell was known as 'The Deedle' which is as close to Dreedle as you can get but I can't find a Yossarian in there anywhere. As for Nateley's Whore................

No, they're Clevinger.

"Rangers were dead. That was the basic flaw in their philosophy."
"He took about half an hour to do it, but he did it!"
Gorgiewave

Postby scottish » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:26 am

Alan McCabe wrote:I hope I am wrong as, unlike Old Firm lackies like the sports reporter on last night's Newsnight Scotland

Ah, Richard Wilson. He was on again last night and has two hagiographical pieces about Walter in The Herald today. Darryl Broadfoot may have left the building but his spirit endures.
scottish
Site Admin

Postby BMCCOLL » Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:01 pm

As a new club, won't 'The Rangers' have to join the SFA as Associate Members, thereby debarring them from entering the Scottish Cup for a few years anyway?
BMCCOLL

Postby scottish » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:51 pm

BMCCOLL wrote:As a new club, won't 'The Rangers' have to join the SFA as Associate Members, thereby debarring them from entering the Scottish Cup for a few years anyway?

I don't know about that. But today has not been a good day for them. They've had a triple whammy of finding out the Green consortium isn't (yet) entitled to use the name 'The Rangers,' the sight of Lord Cardigan's failed charge of the light blue brigade ending with Walter himself "walking away" (unconnected, I'm sure with the SPL finally taking action over dual contracts and persistent suggestions that Walter himself might have been an EBT beneficiary whilst gainfully employed elswhere), and Alex Thomson's tweets about a lawyer suggesting major fraud is about to be uncovered, coupled (coincidentally, I am sure) with more questions about Souness and EBTs.

Meanwhile, why not enjoy Barry McGuire's paean of praise for Charles Green.

Oddly enough his only big solo hit is a more prescient observation of where Rangers stand today.
scottish
Site Admin

Postby BMCCOLL » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:49 pm

If "The Rangers" ARE parachuted right into the SPL, given Kilmarnock FC's evident approval of the 'newco', wasn't it a wee bit cruel to pit them against each other at Rugby Park? Or is this intended to ascertain as to what degree the fans are going to show their disacord?
BMCCOLL

Postby scottish » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:17 pm

BMCCOLL wrote:If "The Rangers" ARE parachuted right into the SPL, given Kilmarnock FC's evident approval of the 'newco', wasn't it a wee bit cruel to pit them against each other at Rugby Park? Or is this intended to ascertain as to what degree the fans are going to show their disacord?

The exact opposite I think. You'd end up with a situation akin to the Killie-Celtic game at the end of last season. A rump home support and over 80% of the ground filled by celebrating fans. In the Celtic instance because they won the title and in "The Rangers" (we must stop calling them that seeing as they're not allowed to use the title) case because they would still be alive. Michael Johnston would be counting an additional £250,000 in Killie's coffers compared to a game against Dundee or Dunfermline and claim he was right all along.

Of course you could also read it as a Machievallian plot by Celtic-minded IT workers. Accepting that the first newco away match is going to bring the hordes out in their thousands, desperate to show that they are still 'ra peepul' then you might as well send them to a club that's going to vote for them anyway rather than to one whose vote might be swayed by the prospect of filthy lucre.

And, proof positive that whoever programmed the fixtures is no fan of Rangers, is the absence of the sentimental option of sending them to Ross County for the opening game (How can the heartless SPL deprive the plucky wee Highlanders from meeting the famous Gers on equal terms? - Traynor, Chico, Jackson, Wilson etc)
scottish
Site Admin

Postby Skyline Drifter » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:29 pm

BMCCOLL wrote:As a new club, won't 'The Rangers' have to join the SFA as Associate Members, thereby debarring them from entering the Scottish Cup for a few years anyway?

Why? Gretna were never barred from playing in the Scottish Cup when they joined the SFA after returning to Scotland. Presumably they were not given Full Member status immediately?
Skyline Drifter

Postby scottish » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:49 pm

Skyline Drifter wrote:

Why? Gretna were never barred from playing in the Scottish Cup when they joined the SFA after returning to Scotland. Presumably they were not given Full Member status immediately?

Same with the merged Inverness clubs in the 1990s and Clydebank in the 1960s.
scottish
Site Admin

Postby the hibLOG » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:08 pm

I hear that Club 12 have already arranged a glamour pre-season friendly in Spain - against Club 18-30.

Boom boom!
Fraser
the hibLOG

Postby scottish » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:43 pm

the hibLOG wrote:I hear that Club 12 have already arranged a glamour pre-season friendly in Spain - against Club 18-30.

Boom boom!

You sure it's not this outfit?

scottish
Site Admin

Postby the hibLOG » Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:46 am

scottish wrote:You sure it's not this outfit?

Altogether now:

"If you like a lot of chocolate on your bigot join our club..."
Fraser
the hibLOG

PreviousNext

Return to Scottish Football