Montrose FC book

The place to recommend books to other Forum users. Or even to warn off.
BMCCOLL

Montrose FC book

Post by BMCCOLL » Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:26 pm

Steve Doyle has self published a book giving all of Montrose's competitive matches. Running at over 230 A4 sized pages, copies of this excellent statistical record are available from Steve at just £10, with all the monies going to the club. If you email me via the SFHA or PM, I will give you a copy of Steve's email address.
http://sfha.org.uk/

John Meffen

Re: Montrose FC book

Post by John Meffen » Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:10 pm

not including friendlies? Does it have players?

HibeeJibee

Post by HibeeJibee » Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:32 pm

Does "all competitive games" includes the likes of wartime competitions, the Forfarshire Cup and suchlike? Or just SFL + national cups?

ScottishFA

Post by ScottishFA » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:09 am

More details here: http://montroseclubshop.co.uk/index.php ... cts_id=254

I'll be ordering it.

Alan Brown

Post by Alan Brown » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:54 pm

Sounds like a good addition to the complete records collection. I have my copy ordered.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:35 pm

Good to see one of the lower division sides getting a 'proper' history. I've ordered a copy.

Alan Brown

Post by Alan Brown » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:15 pm

Received my copy of Steve Doyle's Montrose book today. When ordering I assumed that it was a history with a statistical review of each season, but was disappointed to discover it only contains results, no goalscorers, line ups etc. Oh well, will look more carefully at synopsis in the future.

ScottishFA

Post by ScottishFA » Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:02 pm

Yes, I've just got mine as well.

Seems like an opportunity missed, as it is a compilation of Montrose results, season by season, but with hardly any additional details - no player info, goalscorers or even match dates (with the exception, bizarrely, of a few reserve matches). It's a hefty 230 pages A4, ring bound, but with even a basic design input could have been half the size (and reduced production costs).

The author admits that, not being local to Montrose, he hasn't been able to visit local newspaper offices to trawl through old reports, which I would have thought was essential for a club history. Hence he takes most of his info from previously published sources.

HibeeJibee

Post by HibeeJibee » Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:08 pm

'Twas only £10 but agree... lack of dates/cup-tie rounds disappointing, also unnecessarily bulky.

Alan McCabe

Post by Alan McCabe » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:22 pm

Good on the author for his efforts from a distance. Unfortunately little of additional note to what is already available is included.
And the complete absence of Qualifying Cup results, outwith Montrose's Final appearances, is bizarre since Stewart Davidson's book is still widely available.