I Zingari?

Scottish Football Answers to Questions

Postby BMCCOLL » Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:49 am

Rob wrote:What was the thinking behind Queens playing under a different name. I also have Rangers playing under the title Ibroxonians on a couple of occasions. I cant see what benefit teams would gain by playing under a different name. I was wondering if there was something in the SFA rule book that clubs were by-passing

Probably to preserve the good name of the club. A shock defeat by a lesser club would look bad.
BMCCOLL

Postby nightfire » Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:13 pm

scottish wrote:I've found a few more matches.

On June 1st 1887 I Zingari (again with several Queen's Park players) played at Uddingston in a match to raise funds for the home club as the cost of levelling their pitch had left them in debt. Both Rangers and Third Lanark had previously done the same

There was a game v Shettleston on August 27th 1888. Then on August 22nd 1891 a side described as "an I Zingari team of the Queen's Park" met Dundee East End in a match to mark the opening of their new ground.

There were also 'select' sides playing under the name of 'Crusaders' and 'Bohemians' around this time which usually took part in benefit matches.

I have noted in the Glasgow Herald archive that Celtic Crusaders played Port Glasgow Athletics at Celtic Park on 1st December 1888.

A select side or a Celtic reserve side?
nightfire

Postby scottish » Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:38 pm

nightfire wrote:I have noted in the Glasgow Herald archive that Celtic Crusaders played Port Glasgow Athletics at Celtic Park on 1st December 1888.

Reserves. The game was v Port Glasgow Athletic's reserve team. Look at the (very) small print. It says '2D Port Glasgow Athletics.'

A full-strength Celtic team would have had a much bigger match report
scottish
Site Admin

Postby nightfire » Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:43 pm

scottish wrote:
nightfire wrote:I have noted in the Glasgow Herald archive that Celtic Crusaders played Port Glasgow Athletics at Celtic Park on 1st December 1888.

Reserves. The game was v Port Glasgow Athletic's reserve team. Look at the (very) small print. It says '2D Port Glasgow Athletics.'

A full-strength Celtic team would have had a much bigger match report

Stronger glasses needed :oops:

Celtic (1st Team) played Port Glasgow Athletic (1st Team) on the same day.

It is interesting in that the Crusaders name seems to be rarely used for Celtic Reserves
nightfire

Postby prorege » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:02 pm

Returning to 'I Zingari' . . .

Volume 1 of Fabian and Green's Association Football (1960) has a section on the I Zingari Association - a north of England equivalent of the Amateur Football Alliance. Founded in 1895, and still going strong in 1960. They translate 'I Zingari' as 'Wanderers'.

The closest equivalent to the I Zingari team of Victorian times these days might be the Barbarians rugby team, or Middlesex Wanderers football team.
prorege

Re: I Zingari?

Postby BMCCOLL » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:54 pm

Some more games...

1 Jun 1887 Uddingston v I Zingari
27 Aug 1888 Shettleston v I Zingari
7 Apr 1888 Arbroath v I Zingari 4-1
21 Apr Port Glasgow Athletic v I Zingari 4-2
7 May 1888 Heart of Midlothian v I Zingari 2-3
22 Aug 1891 East End v I Zingari (Queen's Park) 3-1 (at Dundee Athletic Ground 3000)
2 Jan 1893 Belfast Zingari v Partick Thistle 1-3 (at Cliftonville, Belfast 3000)
19 Apr 1893 I Zingari (Queen's Park) v Rugby Rovers
19 Aug 1893 Dunblane v I Zingari (Queen's Park) 5-5
25 Apr 1894 I Zingari (Queen's Park) v Rugby Rovers 4-2
BMCCOLL

Postby Snuff » Thu May 03, 2012 6:04 am

Rob mentions Rangers playing as 'Ibroxonians' - should we add this to the list of potential names for any "newco" to emerge from the current travails around Ibrox? It would surely be apt, given the demise of 'Airdrieonians' not so long ago!!

I did like the suggestion, from a member of the Celtic Family, on one of The Scotsman's website threads last week - that should Rangers make it to next season and be forced to field a mainly Under-19 team: they be known as 'The Apprentice Boys'!!!

As regards 'Rugby Rovers' as I understand it, from a former Scottish rugby internationalist who played in one of the last such games at Hampden - it was strict football rules for the first 60 minutes. The first time the ball went out of play after 60 minutes, a rugby ball was thrown back on and anything went. Sort of Talbot v Cumnock for the last half hour!!
Snuff
Snuff

Postby gogsy1968 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:51 pm

Just found a result in the Strathearn herald from 1892

5th March Crieff 2nd X1 3-3 I Zingari (No further details apart from the result(
gogsy1968

Postby Snuff » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:16 pm

Further to the Rugby Rovers mentions on this thread.

Whilst doing some research in the Mitchell Library today, I came across, in the Herald, the team announcement for the Rugby Rovers XI to play Queen's Park at Hampden, in April, 1954.

The Rugby squad included Scottish internationalists Hamish Kemp and Angus Cameron (a future British Lion) of Glasgow HSFP, JC Dawson of Glasgow Academical, Douglas Elliot of Edinburgh Academical, "Copey" Murdoch of Hillhead HSFP, TG Weatherston of Stewart's College FP and GT Ross of Watsonians.

Kemp, Dawson and Elliot were fairly fierce rugby forwards of the time, think of John Greig, Tam Forsyth and Gregor Stephens, but, with a bit of footballing finesse!!
Snuff
Snuff

Previous

Return to SFAQS