Willie Japp (Fast Japp)

The place to discuss Scottish football
mcrobeb

Willie Japp (Fast Japp)

Post by mcrobeb » Sun Oct 02, 2005 9:25 pm

Can anyone reply with any dates of when Willie Japp played for Falkirk , Ayr utd , Berwick Rangers , Glentorran , possibly the Shire.

I know he played football in the 50's and early 60's but don't have dates of when he played at the above clubs.

Also ,

If anyone has any media articles containing Willie Japp ie. photos , newspaper clippings , TV footage of when he was playing could you please get in touch .

The reason being is that he was my grandfather and I'm trying to gather some stuff together as a gift for my mum.
[/list]

Alan McCabe

Post by Alan McCabe » Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:18 pm

Willie Japp spent the immediate post-war seasons flitting between both Falkirk & East Stirlingshire without ever really establishing himself with either.
He played with the 'Shire in 1947-48 in the 'C' Division, a competition that the Firs Park club won. Unfortunately records are not known for this competition although Willie Japp is listed in most of the line-ups I have to hand.
With 'Shire back in the Second Division (officially called the 'B' Division), Japp played 13 league matches scoring twice only for the club to finish bottom and suffer immediate relegation to the mainly-reserve 'C' league again. He also played in 'Shire's 2-0 Scottish Cup defeat at Queen of the South.
Earlier in the season though, he had once again briefly joined Falkirk and played his solitary match in a 2-0 loss to bottom club Albion Rovers.
A season in the 'C' Division (1949-50) was again spent at East Stirlingshire before he was signed by Ayr Utd in 1950. Over the following seven seasons he proved a key member of the Somerset Park line-up and played his part in United's promotion back to the top-flight in 1955-56. His full record at Ayr United was:-
Scottish League : 163 Appearances ; 37 Goals
League Cup : 31 Appearances ; 12 Goals
Scottish Cup : 15 Appearances ; 4 Goals
Other Cups : 6 Appearances ; 3 Goals
He returned to the 'Shire for 1957-58 and made 14 League & 1 Scottish Cup appearances, scoring 4 Division Two goals before he moved to Tweedmouth and joined Berwick Rangers. 25 League games, 4 League Cup ties & one Scottish Cup tie were played in with goals being netted in the league (5) and League Cup (2).
I trust his spell in Northern Ireland followed this but I have no records at hand.
Duncan Carmichael's book 'Ayr United FC' in the Images of Sport series include a couple of team pictures that include Willie Japp. Alongside him in one of them is another Grangemouth man Mike McKenna, both of them starring briefly in the same United line-up.
The statistical information is taken from John Litster's phenomenal 'Scottish Players' Post-War League Records'.

mcrobeb

Post by mcrobeb » Wed Oct 05, 2005 5:47 am

Thanks Alan ,
would there be any TV footage from those divisions back in the 50's or would it only be the top flight / internationals that was on tv?

Bryan.

Alan McCabe

Post by Alan McCabe » Thu Oct 06, 2005 12:44 am

I can't imagine there being much, if any, archived film footage of Second Division matches from this period. The first televised Scottish Cup Final didn't happen until 1955 and was doomed not to be a regular televisual fixture until into the 1970s.
Scotsport was not born until the early 1960s with Pathe News covering the big matches prior to this. Even their coverage was limited and poor editing didn't help the continuity of their cinema showings.
Cinemas sometimes showed snippets of local matches of interest although you'd need to contact the Scottish Film Archive so as to ascertain what remains.

Townfan

Willie Japp

Post by Townfan » Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:07 am

Scotsport started in 1957 in or around the first week of STV, but what was shown, I don't know. However, the presentation would obviously have been better than today's!!! Arthur Nontford would use his famous word 'stramash' to describe it. Is that a proper word, I wonder?

Lisbon67

Post by Lisbon67 » Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:58 am

There are no proper words to describe the thing which passes for Scotsport these days. At least not ones you can use when the weans are around

the hibLOG

Post by the hibLOG » Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:29 pm

You can watch sample quality files of the entire Pathe archive at http://www.britishpathe.com/ If you search on the relevant clubs you might find something but as Alan says it's mostly internationals or cup games so unlikely to be anything from lower divisions.

Great site mind you.
Fraser

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:22 am

There are free downloads of samples but I think they are for the first three years of the site's existence only and they are now well into their third year so get what you want while you can.