Four brothers / triplets on the same side

Scottish Football Answers to Questions

Four brothers / triplets on the same side

Postby LLD » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:45 pm

A wee bit of history at Almondvale tonight when Keaghan, Kyle, Devon and Sheldon Jacobs all featured in our win over Albion Rovers.

Keaghan, Kyle and Devon all started the game with Sheldon coming on as a second half sub.

The question is whether four brothers have played professionally on the same side before?

I am fairly sure that the fact that three of them are triplets (Kyle, Devon and Sheldon) is unique, but am prepared to stand corrected!
LLD

Postby Scottish » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:47 am

You might be on to something there. The four McNeill brothers played for Rangers in their early days but of course that wasn't as professionals.

Doncaster Rovers had four Keetley brothers -Frank, Harold, Joe & Tom - on their books though there were never more than three in the same team (there were five other brothers who all signed pro forms.

Three Carr brothers all played for Middlesbrough just after WW1 and more recently there were the Wallaces - Rod, Danny & Ray - at Southampton in the 1980s.

I'm fairly certain you're on safe ground with the triplets - at least as far as British football is concerned.
Scottish
Site Admin

Postby the hibLOG » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:42 am

Wasn't there some Quinns played for Sunderland recently?

I'll just get ma coat...
Fraser
the hibLOG

Postby Gorgiewave » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:39 am

scottish wrote:You might be on to something there. The four McNeill brothers played for Rangers in their early days but of course that wasn't as professionals.

Doncaster Rovers had four Keetley brothers -Frank, Harold, Joe & Tom - on their books though there were never more than three in the same team (there were five other brothers who all signed pro forms.

Three Carr brothers all played for Middlesbrough just after WW1 and more recently there were the Wallaces - Rod, Danny & Ray - at Southampton in the 1980s.

I'm fairly certain you're on safe ground with the triplets - at least as far as British football is concerned.

Joper. Where else on the internet or in the real world would you get such complete knowledge of anything, and answered almost instantly? The level of knowledge on this site is often incredible and a joy.

The loss of Bob Crampsey is made bearable under these circumstances. Are any of you lads football journalists and, if so, where can I read your work?
"He took about half an hour to do it, but he did it!"
Gorgiewave

Postby Bristol Rovers » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:44 am

There have only been two instances in the English Football League of three players with the same surname scoring in the same game:
9.4.27 Doncaster Rovers 5 Durham C 1, when Tom, Frank and Harold Keetley all scored; 18.12.82 Bristol Rovers 4 Wrexham 0, when David, Geraint and Brian Williams all scored

The Williamses weren't related; the Keetleys, as already said, were brothers. One report I have seen suggests only two Keetleys scored. However, if you believe all three scored, this was the only occasion south of the border, when three brothers all scored in a League match.
Bristol Rovers

Postby LEATHERSTOCKING » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:23 pm

Brothers Alexander & James Hamilton played together for many years in the 1880s for Queen`s Park & James continued in the 1st Xl well into the 90s but retired a few years before their younger sibling, Gladstone, broke into the top team. All three, therefore, never played in the same side but theirs is the only known instance of three brothers all playing for Scotland.
LEATHERSTOCKING

Postby problemchild » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:19 pm

Just to throw a hat into the ring, what about Rod, Danny and the other Wallace, did they all play for Southampton in the same game?
problemchild

Postby Scottish » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:23 am

problemchild wrote:Just to throw a hat into the ring, what about Rod, Danny and the other Wallace, did they all play for Southampton in the same game?

See my reply to the OP.
Scottish
Site Admin

Postby problemchild » Sat May 01, 2010 9:52 am

scottish wrote:
problemchild wrote:Just to throw a hat into the ring, what about Rod, Danny and the other Wallace, did they all play for Southampton in the same game?

See my reply to the OP.

Oops, I was a bit pished when I wrote that.
problemchild

Relatives

Postby Snuff » Sun May 02, 2010 8:41 am

One of my uncles played in a Glenbuck Cherrypickers team which had only four surnames, including of course a couple of Shanklys.

However, since local legend had it that there were only about six surnames in the whole of Glenbuck, this cannot be considered unusual for the time.

On another sport, the Wigtownshire RFC pack in the late eighties was: Drysdale, Drysdale and Drysdale, Parker and Parker, Drysdale, Parker and Someone Else.

Or you could have the Scottish Rugby XV Dream Pack of the three Milne brothers in the front row, the Brown brothers in the second and the Calder twins plus their elder brother in the back row - or am I being silly now?
Snuff
Snuff

Re: Relatives

Postby problemchild » Sun May 02, 2010 3:38 pm

Snuff wrote:

Or you could have the Scottish Rugby XV Dream Pack of the three Milne brothers in the front row, the Brown brothers in the second and the Calder twins plus their elder brother in the back row - or am I being silly now?

You could be super silly by playing rugby v football and throwing on the Brown's father and uncle. See also Martin and John Leslie, their dad Andy (rugby) against their (football) grandad. Or Jim Craig v. James Craig.
problemchild

Postby Scottish » Sun May 02, 2010 4:35 pm

problemchild wrote: You could be super silly by playing rugby v football .

Or add on a few other sports. John & Alan Hansen both football but the thunderbirds puppet also played for Scotland at U-18 level in Squash, Volleyball and Golf.
Scottish
Site Admin

Postby problemchild » Sun May 02, 2010 5:06 pm

scottish wrote:
problemchild wrote: You could be super silly by playing rugby v football .

Or add on a few other sports. John & Alan Hansen both football but the thunderbirds puppet also played for Scotland at U-18 level in Squash, Volleyball and Golf.

Played simultaneously on the same field, these sports are collectively known as Aussie Rules.
problemchild

relatives

Postby Snuff » Mon May 03, 2010 7:18 am

Problem Child - football and rugby - it's been done.

Up until at least the early seventies, there was an annual fun game played at Hampden at the end of each season: Rugby Rovers, a team of rugby players who were also good at football, would play against a Queen's Park XI.

The first half was normal football, as were the first 15 minutes of the second; but, the first time the ball went out of play after that, a rugby ball was thrown on and anything went.

It then got to be a wee bit like Auchinleck Talbot v Cumnock until time up!!
Snuff
Snuff

Re: relatives

Postby problemchild » Mon May 03, 2010 9:13 am

Snuff wrote:Problem Child - football and rugby - it's been done.

Up until at least the early seventies, there was an annual fun game played at Hampden at the end of each season: Rugby Rovers, a team of rugby players who were also good at football, would play against a Queen's Park XI.

The first half was normal football, as were the first 15 minutes of the second; but, the first time the ball went out of play after that, a rugby ball was thrown on and anything went.

It then got to be a wee bit like Auchinleck Talbot v Cumnock until time up!!

I would happily save up to afford the 2 shillings entry for this game.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=2 ... 56,3316305
problemchild

Next

Return to SFAQS